What did you appreciate about coach Harper?

Clearly a classy person who the players loved. Many believe she was too nice to the players and perhaps there is some truth in that. But remember, when Rickea first came, CKH would not let her start a good part of that season. While no one knows the details, it appeared it was a lesson being taught to a player that had some difficulty at her prior school. I suspect Rickea recalls that and will admit she learned a lot from Kellie.

That's for your work her Coach--we will miss you!

A lot of negativity and strong opinions over the past 24 hours so I thought we could take some time to post our appreciation toward coach Harper. We already have several threads about the coaching search so please do not post those opinions here.

I'll go first. Coach Harper seemed to have a great culture. Although the winning was not up to par, the girls seemed to love her. She had very few players transfer out during her time here and several players return for another year (Jordan Walker, RJ, Key, etc.). Thank you coach for creating an environment that was fun for the girls and for investing in them as people!

Thank you, coach!

Harper was very articulate in press conferences.

Can appreciate that there was never a question if she was giving her all. A very dedicated, hard working and classy woman. She restored a lot of pride to the program that had been lost and stabilized what was a very challenging time for the Lady Vol program.

I felt her teams gave much more consistent effort than her predecessor and competed the majority of the time. We just came up short too many times against competition we really needed to beat.

she was all class and brought so much human decency and love for her players. she truly loved them. i think she was just unable to coach them up to win big games, and that's really what it came down to.

she was all class and brought so much human decency and love for her players. she truly loved them. i think she was just unable to coach them up to win big games, and that's really what it came down to.

Y'all would be great at eulogies.

"The recently passed Mrs. Johnson was a dedicated wife, mother and humanitarian but her tuna casserole sucked, she had a weird laugh, and her family is really better off without her....

What part of remember something that Kellie she should be appreciated for (without the "but.. she still sucked" part) is so hard to understand?

Last edited:
Class act on and off the court. She loves the University and her family. Great player and great ambassador for UT. Unfortunately she could not recruit and coach well enough to get it done at UT. I wish her and her family the best.

With all that said, our AD will move the Lady Vol basketball program forward with this hire. We as fans of this great program need to turn the page. Go Vols! Let’s get back to being relevant again in women’s basketball!!

A lot of negativity and strong opinions over the past 24 hours so I thought we could take some time to post our appreciation toward coach Harper. We already have several threads about the coaching search so please do not post those opinions here.

I'll go first. Coach Harper seemed to have a great culture. Although the winning was not up to par, the girls seemed to love her. She had very few players transfer out during her time here and several players return for another year (Jordan Walker, RJ, Key, etc.). Thank you coach for creating an environment that was fun for the girls and for investing in them as people!

Thank you, coach!
That it was clear and apparent that she was giving her all for Tennessee every single day. We always got 110% from her, and I have so much respect for her compared to some other former coaches of ours.

Thank you, coach!
Teach fundamentals of passing, dribbling to avoid 22 turnovers a game.

Thank you, coach!
Great thread. Something everyone can celebrate together. A lot of good to cherish.

Seeing #14 in that photo with coach Harper sort of choked me up.

Y'all would be great at eulogies.

"The recently passed Mrs. Johnson was a dedicated wife, mother and humanitarian but her tuna casserole sucked, she had a weird laugh, and her family is really better off without her....

What part of remember something that Kellie she should be appreciated for (without the "but.. she still sucked" part) is so hard to understand?
I really don't understand the premise of your post. The thread is about appreciating the good things a former TN national champion, who was also adored by pat, brought to the program. It is possible to respect someone for their time and commitment to the university but also be excited about change and the future.

I will try to explain though I don't think the premise is all that hard to parse. Let's set the context. On THIS board, we have endless threads where posters pontificate on Kellie's endless coaching failings and why this change needed to happen, had to happen, should have happened the day after she was hired, and why any breathing person will be a huge upgrade.

As a change of pace and to create a space for more positive narratives, the OP entitled this thread as "What do you appreciate about Coach Harper". So post keeping with the spirit of the thread should do just that.

To clarify, the thread title was not "What did you appreciate about Coach Harper and what did you think was her biggest coaching failing" nor was it "what did you appreciate about coach Harper and how much better do you think the new coach will be." The rest of the board addresses those caveat comments.

Make sense?

Really going to miss her. She belonged. Such a great woman and mother. High class. Representative of our area state and university. Humble. Loyal to a fault.

I truly think she’s so close to breaking it big. I hope she does.

Agreed. She was a great role model who embodied the values Pat taught. I always thought it was so heart warming to watch her rebounding shots for her kids during the pre-games.

I will try to explain though I don't think the premise is all that hard to parse. Let's set the context. On THIS board, we have endless threads where posters pontificate on Kellie's endless coaching failings and why this change needed to happen, had to happen, should have happened the day after she was hired, and why any breathing person will be a huge upgrade.

As a change of pace and to create a space for more positive narratives, the OP entitled this thread as "What do you appreciate about Coach Harper". So post keeping with the spirit of the thread should do just that.

To clarify, the thread title was not "What did you appreciate about Coach Harper and what did you think was her biggest coaching failing" nor was it "what did you appreciate about coach Harper and how much better do you think the new coach will be." The rest of the board addresses those caveat comments.

Make sense?
Or as Thucydides presented and Socrates taught, a speech in praise should include the most beautiful things. Full stop.

Agreed. She was a great role model who embodied the values Pat taught. I always thought it was so heart warming to watch her rebounding shots for her kids during the pre-games.
I truly hope she just takes time for her kids and reflects (hopefully positively) on her time here.

She has a legacy left she can be proud of

What did I appreciate about Coach Kellie? So much! I loved when her teams beat teams coached by Vic, Kenny, Muffet, Kim, Dawn, and probably every other SEC Coach. I loved we still have made every NCAA Tournament, getting to the Sweet Sixteen twice and the second round twice (the other year was Covid).

I loved how Kellie found ways to win when her best players were out, and this happened every year.

I loved her professionalism in her appearance and in her interviews. I loved how it was so obvious she cared about her players. I loved seeing her family at the games.

The last two games we lost were caused or highly influenced by refs, and both those teams are in the Final Four. I loved how we competed.

I wanted her here for the next 20 years, and I will cheer for Kellie wherever she goes.

Thank you, Kellie, you set a standard for excellence, and I appreciate all you did for Tennessee.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back