What did you have for dinner II?

Spam was introduced to Hawaii in WWII. It’s easily transported and stored. It’s inexpensive and has a long storage life. It can be eaten right out of the can. To Hawaiians, it was manna in the 1940s. The Minnesota based company that produces Spam has made two flavored versions for the Hawaiian market. Spiced ham in a can indeed.

Well, I tell ya, a fried spam and cheese sandwich is a darn good sandwich.

Reactions: Vjcvette
Rusty (Tin Man) pizza: base of Freschetta brick oven three-meat pizza, with added sautéed onions and mushrooms, roasted red peppers (á la jar), extra shredded Italian cheese (á la bag), Amoré tomato paste (á la tube), and fresh grated Parm at the end, cooked on a ceramic pizza stone, which makes all the difference:

View attachment 532596
A' La Yummy!

Reactions: VolNExile
Spam was introduced to Hawaii in WWII. It’s easily transported and stored. It’s inexpensive and has a long storage life. It can be eaten right out of the can. To Hawaiians, it was manna in the 1940s. The Minnesota based company that produces Spam has made two flavored versions for the Hawaiian market. Spiced ham in a can indeed.
Hey I lived in Hawaii in the mid 70's and I have always eaten spam but I did not know the complete history of it so thanks
for that @Tin Man and another product that you may find it's history intersting is the Necco wafers...
Necco Wafers date back to 1847. Oliver Chase, an English immigrant, invented a lozenge cutting machine with which he produced the wafers. At the time of the Civil War, these were called "hub wafers" and were carried by Union soldiers. In 1901, Chase and Company merged with two other companies to incorporate the New England Confectionery Company (Necco). By 1912, the wafers were being advertised as "Necco Wafers", a name they have carried since.[2]
During World War II, the United States government ordered Necco to produce its wafers for soldiers overseas. As a result of this action, Necco saw its sales of the wafers peak. Upon returning home, many former soldiers became faithful customers who continued to buy the wafers.[1]
1674673774425.jpeg

VN Store

Back