What does an effective offensive game plan look like on Saturday?

A balanced attack that keeps the defense on their heels and guessing. We will see multiple formations from both teams on Saturday. Butch and coach Jake delve deeper into the play book for this one. :yes:

I'm thinking lots of play action and short to medium range screens. Maybe a shot down the field every once in a while. Like others, I do think that if we win, we will have to play perfect and the O line has to show up big and when the receivers are getting the ball thrown to them, they MUST make that catch.

More wide receiver screens?

50 rushing attempts split between Lane and Neal?

Five wide with Lane and Neal on the field at the same time?

Some Wildvol?

I think we have determined that Worley isn't going to be able to stretch the field with his arm.

I feel like Worley is the best option we have based on CBJ. That being said, I am concerned about Worley's ability to process information. When CBJ said he had to tell him it was ok to throw the ball away and get a field goal instead of throwing an interception, I really had to question Worley's decision making ability. Again, he is the best we have so I wish him luck against Oregon!! Go Vols!!

Use all 4 downs to get a first down. Don't punt the ball at all! Oregon can and will score from anywhere! Field position is not a big deal to them. 33% more opportunities to gain a first down and keep the ball from Oregon's offense. Also, If for some reason we are leading don't run out of bounds and stop the clock! Do everything possible to keep the clock running.

I feel like Worley is the best option we have based on CBJ. That being said, I am concerned about Worley's ability to process information. When CBJ said he had to tell him it was ok to throw the ball away and get a field goal instead of throwing an interception, I really had to question Worley's decision making ability. Again, he is the best we have so I wish him luck against Oregon!! Go Vols!!

I've veered clear of all QB discussion this year simply because I've only seen Worley and Peterson play. Of those two Worley looks like the best option, and I agree with most that it is ridiculous to burn a redshirt prematurely.

Reactions: 1 person
1) Break out the power running game. Let Marlin Lane puddle stomp some people like he did WKUs NFL-prospect safety.

2) Break out the Quezcat and Pigcat. Get creative to get the ball to Pig and North.

3) Show us the Beast package in short yardage.

4) Rajon Neal bubble screen. Rajon Neal bubble screen. Rajon Neal bubble screen.

5) TEs need catches early and often.

5) Dink and dump, lull them to sleep, and then break out some trick plays.

6) No turnovers.

7) Punish the defense. Relentless, violent blockers at all points of attack.

a huge dose of a mad marlin lane...5 to 6 yards a pop. bubble screens to croom and north (if they just fall forward we should get 5 yds).

We will have to complete some /short/ passes on first down. That will open up the run game. Oregon will pack the box to stop our run, so Worley has to make them pay with some completions. He doesn't need to stretch the field--5 or 10 or 12 yards will work fine. Screen passes, swing passes, end arounds--we'll need to be creative as well. We will want to run it up the gut, but I think it will be tough because Oregon will be expecting it. We'll have to see how that goes early on--and if running proves tough we will need to spread the field as much as we can.

Whatever will keep our defense on the bench getting pumped with oxygen would be a good start for our O imo.

1) Break out the power running game. Let Marlin Lane puddle stomp some people like he did WKUs NFL-prospect safety.

2) Break out the Quezcat and Pigcat. Get creative to get the ball to Pig and North.

3) Show us the Beast package in short yardage.

4) Rajon Neal bubble screen. Rajon Neal bubble screen. Rajon Neal bubble screen.

5) TEs need catches early and often.

5) Dink and dump, lull them to sleep, and then break out some trick plays.

6) No turnovers.

7) Punish the defense. Relentless, violent blockers at all points of attack.

Quezcat...lol.

Dink and dunk and run it down their throat.
7+ minute drives, that end with TDs.
We're better in the trenches on both sides of the ball.
Score twice every quarter to their once.

I do expect to see Worley keep it on occassion in this game. It appears we've been setting that up the last 2 games. Watch all the offensive plays and on nearly every run play our QB half heartedly fakes a run. I smell a ruse in doing that.

thats not going to have any bearing on the #2 team in the country whose defense actually faces a true running qb every day in practice. the ONLY thing that is going to open up running room for Worley is putting the fear of Marlin Lane into their defense's hearts. even then, with their speed, it might be just a couple 3 or 4 yard pick ups. not to demean that, though. those could be tds or first downs. im really interested to see what Butch will dial up in this game.

More wide receiver screens?

50 rushing attempts split between Lane and Neal?

Five wide with Lane and Neal on the field at the same time?

Some Wildvol?

I think we have determined that Worley isn't going to be able to stretch the field with his arm.

This time, go with your gut and insert Peterman the second half of the game if Worley stinks up the first half.

thats not going to have any bearing on the #2 team in the country whose defense actually faces a true running qb every day in practice. the ONLY thing that is going to open up running room for Worley is putting the fear of Marlin Lane into their defense's hearts. even then, with their speed, it might be just a couple 3 or 4 yard pick ups. not to demean that, though. those could be tds or first downs. im really interested to see what Butch will dial up in this game.
I'm not insinuating it will become some bread and butter play. I rewatched all the offensive plays from last week and it's an easy 1st down 2-3 times a game if faked effectively. Watch the highlights and you'll see what I mean. No one is biting even a little. I'd take a well timed one for a critical first down. It'll only be effective though if Neal and Lane are getting 3-4yards a touch and they have the OR D's attention.

I'm not insinuating it will become some bread and butter play. I rewatched all the offensive plays from last week and it's an easy 1st down 2-3 times a game if faked effectively. Watch the highlights and you'll see what I mean. No one is biting even a little. I'd take a well timed one for a critical first down. It'll only be effective though if Neal and Lane are getting 3-4yards a touch and they have the OR D's attention.

i agree with your first sentence but man what a difference it would make if he can pick up a few yards..

Is it mental, vision, mechanics or arm strength????

I think it is a combination of arm strength and vision. If he saw it faster he might be able to step into the throw better.

Just a guess.

Some of it is just game experience.

Our tempo should be much slower than normal on offense. We should throw one short pass for every three runs.

I think it is a combination of arm strength and vision. If he saw it faster he might be able to step into the throw better.

Just a guess.

Some of it is just game experience.

Very good point. Its hard to simulate game speed in practice. Hopefully once he hits 2 or 3 longer timing patterens, the kinks will works themself out.

Whatever it takes to keep our offense on the field for as long as possible. Stay in bounds so the clock will run and shorten the game. Open the 3rd quarter with an 18-play, 10-minute drive.

Whatever it takes to keep our offense on the field for as long as possible. Stay in bounds so the clock will run and shorten the game. Open the 3rd quarter with an 18-play, 10-minute drive.

I'd like to start off with that in the first to set the tone.

VN Store

Back