What does VFL mean to you?

Yes, it's embarrassing. Since the term was created, we've seen massive turnover every year. It has become a punchline.
It means nothing at all to coaches other than a recruiting tool, and it only seems to matter to players that graduated long before its inception.

It's a term much like the Miami players with "The U" or OSU alumni and "THE Ohio State University" It's a way for our alumni (Which are as good anybody's) To identify loyalty to the Power T. Of course the fans have latched onto it, that just means it's catchy. That's what it's supposed to be. I was a VFL before I ever heard the term and will be one long after it goes away if it does. I think you need to set down with the cold drink of your choice and listen to Inky speak. Any employee can leave, the VFL program wasn't meant for them....Deep breath.....Amen.:)

Reactions: 2 people
Yes, it's embarrassing. Since the term was created, we've seen massive turnover every year. It has become a punchline.
It means nothing at all to coaches other than a recruiting tool, and it only seems to matter to players that graduated long before its inception.

Dumbest tidbit I've read all day. You deserve a crown/dunce cap

Being a VFL means you support the Vols through the good and bad times.

It means wearing ORANGE in even worse years than these. (I have)

I know this is not across the board, but I support the UNIVERSITY of TENNESSEE.

............that is all..............

Reactions: 1 person
My problem with this term is those who attack others who are critical or concerned about the direction the University or the Athletic Department are headed. A true VFL, will always hope and want the best for my beloved University, but will also not sit idly by and watch others drag it down and further embarrass it. Several people on this site think you have to be a "yes man" to prove you are a VFL.

My problem with this term is those who attack others who are critical or concerned about the direction the University or the Athletic Department are headed. A true VFL, will always hope and want the best for my beloved University, but will also not sit idly by and watch others drag it down and further embarrass it. Several people on this site think you have to be a "yes man" to prove you are a VFL.

......wait just a cottonpicken minute!
You mean that i can be a big ORANGE supporter and still critisize the coach?

WHAT A COUNTRY! .......big orange that is........
Can I send a Moving Van to his house and still be in the fold?

Look past the fact that Derrick Doofus came up with it. It is still a great thing, it means that no matter how many people hop off the UT train because we have been down a VFL will stay true to there team. Im proud to be a VFL I love my state and i love this team. GO BIG ORANGE!!!

You asked. To me it means, not impatiently stomping our players when they make mistakes or worse yet, are rumored to have done something. It means not pre-judging them before any facts are known. It means being supportive of the team whether they're flying outer space high or sunk below the maximum operating depth of a Borei.
It means hoping a fallen from grace player manages to pick himself up, learn positively from his stupidity or error of judgment, and live a decent and successful life. It means doggedly finding time and means to attend at least three games a year in Knoxville. It means believing in the team when there seems to be utterly no reason or sense to do so. It means wearing my orange on game day despite having had local Kentucky drivers literally trying to hit me with their vehicles. And that happened both on a sidewalk and even in a Walmart crosswalk. It means watching the game until the final whistle whether we're winning by 50 points or losing by 150 points. It means I understand that a Volunteer has no association with a Quitter. You did ask, and this is my answer.

Last edited:
If you're a VFL, you want nothing but the best for UT & you are there supporting them win or lose. It means you will ALWAYS be there for the Vols as long as you live. Some people say they are a VFL but aren't. Just like the term "committed" is misused, so is VFL, so be careful.... If you use it, MEAN IT!

To me, as a student for the passed 3 years who has never missed a home game over those three years, it means the pride I have to be a Volunteer. The pride I have taken in coming to every game even when half of the student section didn't. It's being on the front row of sections D & F for the passed two years and yelling my lungs out for the good guys. It's repping my team in enemy territory (anywhere other than TN).

To me, It means ALWAYS wearing my Tennessee hat or shirt while living in Georgia. ALWAYS wearing my Tennessee hat or shirt no matter the outcome of any game while living in Georgia. I was, am, and will be a VFL. GBO

I sport my orange and white gear in front of all of these Alabama and Auburn fans here in Alabama. Proud to be a Tennessee VOL! VFL!

To me, as a student for the passed 3 years who has never missed a home game over those three years, it means the pride I have to be a Volunteer. The pride I have taken in coming to every game even when half of the student section didn't. It's being on the front row of sections D & F for the passed two years and yelling my lungs out for the good guys. It's repping my team in enemy territory (anywhere other than TN).

Did you sneak in to UT? :crazy:

I'm sorry. You are right. I'm not as eloquent as an english major and make an occassional error. I guess it's to be expected, as I will be graduating with my 3.98 GPA next year in chemical engineering..

I'm sorry. You are right. I'm not as eloquent as an english major and make an occassional error. I guess it's to be expected, as I will be graduating with my 3.98 GPA next year in chemical engineering..

I almost past out when I readed that!

I have made straight A's other than 2 A-'s freshman year. Oh, and I'm in Chancellor's Honors Program, but I did just sneak into UT. lol

Need some help?

Attachments

• toot-your-own-horn.jpg
    toot-your-own-horn.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 22
Its being able to tell your kids and grandkids while watching highlights on Youtube that u were at that game when we beat Alabama in 82. Answering their questions about whats the best game u ever been to Daddy the Sugar bowl against Miami or the 98 natl champioship game. Its crying a little when you watch Pat Xo on espn. Being a Vfl is a way of life.I couldnt be any prouder of a group of men than our seniors on team 117.These men will do great things one day.These are your true VFL.Support them all we can they deserve it and have earned it.

VN Store

Back