What is the 2024 Season Recipe for Success

Mator

I have to believe that we've got to make the 12 team playoff in 2024 for sustaining recruiting and trying to catch-up and keep up with Alabama and Georgia. Recruiting has to be the foundation for developing talent. In my mind, we have to be very selective in the portal for depth and key positions that bring balance to classes (example look at how thin our numbers are in the junior class). If we had normal level depth/talent there we wouldn't necessarily need 6th year players to stick around (COVID year is a huge blessing for us!). The hole left by Pruitt is a mountain to overcome for any school but is amplified by the bar we are trying to reach set by schools listed above.

All that said, what is the recipe for us to get into the 12 team playoff in 2024? If we don't, in my opinion we easily remain outside of the top 12 in coming years. The SEC on a rare year might get 4 teams in the playoff; likely only 3.

Reactions: bigorangepoppa
I have to believe that we've got to make the 12 team playoff in 2024 for sustaining recruiting and trying to catch-up and keep up with Alabama and Georgia. Recruiting has to be the foundation for developing talent. In my mind, we have to be very selective in the portal for depth and key positions that bring balance to classes (example look at how thin our numbers are in the junior class). If we had normal level depth/talent there we wouldn't necessarily need 6th year players to stick around (COVID year is a huge blessing for us!). The hole left by Pruitt is a mountain to overcome for any school but is amplified by the bar we are trying to reach set by schools listed above.

All that said, what is the recipe for us to get into the 12 team playoff in 2024? If we don't, in my opinion we easily remain outside of the top 12 in coming years. The SEC on a rare year might get 4 teams in the playoff; likely only 3.

7 of the top 12 teams in the CFP rankings will be SEC teams next year. More beating up on each other sure, but 4-5 teams in the SEC making a 12 team playoff will prob be the norm.

I think you're pretty much on target with your comments. The loss of 35-36 recruits from Pruitt's last class is one huge obstacle to overcome, and Heupel has been pretty good at addressing it through the portal, but I think at some point, the bulk of the team needs to be his recruits.

In this era of NIL, coaches will undoubtedly look for difference maker in the portal. However, for players with a single year of eligibility available, I don't think making a team composed of mostly transfer will win championships. Great example is Colorado. To start the season, they were the darlings of college football. I remember telling my wife after they started the season winning 3 in a row, that after looking at their remaining schedule, I didn't think there were maybe a couple of games left they could win. They won one more game. I think that's the reality of a team made up of transfers.

Get better at the passing game, keep developing RB's..not going to even touch defense..

We need to be better on early downs and play faster. Rhythm and timing are everything with this offense . We were not efficient at that this season. Red zone offense was abysmal, as well as our 3rd and 4th and short play calling and execution. That’s a start.

See open receivers and throw to them on time on offense, and stop passes from being easily completed to wide open receivers on 3rd and long on defense. If we simply do those two things with all other things being equal or better to this year we'll win at least 10 imo.

The formula is simple.

OL make progress, especially in the pass blocking department
Nico be consistent with his throws down the field and hit some deep throws
WRs get open, be more physical in press man coverage scenarios
Rbs hit the holes, get tough yardage, and move the chains
Defense get better every down, especially the Secondary and LBs. LEARN TO PLAY PRESS MAN

They do that, the rest will take care of itself

I'm thinking more quantifiably. Start with defining success:

Baseline: 8 to 12 wins. Stay in that range. Eight wins is always the floor.
Qualified success: 10-win season.
Good success: make the playoffs (top 12 in country per CFP).
Great success: get to Atlanta, play for the SEC crown (note--top 2 in SEC is harder to do than top 12 in country).
Amazing success: win the SEC championship ---and/or--- get to the national title game.
Utter and complete success: SEC and national champions.

We could debate the finer points of the list until the cows come home, but something like that is about right.

And this is every year. Not just next year. Or the year after. Every year, this is how we can measure success now that we're out of the Dark Ages.

~ ~ ~

Recipe to get there? Simple.

(a) Stick with Heupel & Co. In spite of this year's whining and moaning, we're on the path to success already. Just let the coaching staff continue to do their jobs.
(b) There is no (b). It's just (a).

Josh gonna take us to championships.

Go Vols

Last edited:

6 and 2 in the SEC to have a chance at playoff.

7 of the top 12 teams in the CFP rankings will be SEC teams next year. More beating up on each other sure, but 4-5 teams in the SEC making a 12 team playoff will prob be the norm.

You do realize the 12 selected may not align to the CFP top 12. The four highest ranked P5 conference champs get byes. The highest ranked among the non P5 conferences is in. While they don't say it, if there are 5 P5 conferences, then the fifth highest is in - they just don't get a bye. That is 6 spots. Then the fun begins. You can bet the second place SEC and B1G team is in. That leaves 4 spots to be filled with (1) second place from the other conferences, (2) other non P5 teams and (3) schools 3rd or lower from the conferences.

I think the SEC can expect 3, 4 or 5 is pushing it.

You do realize the 12 selected may not align to the CFP top 12. The four highest ranked P5 conference champs get byes. The highest ranked among the non P5 conferences is in. While they don't say it, if there are 5 P5 conferences, then the fifth highest is in - they just don't get a bye. That is 6 spots. Then the fun begins. You can bet the second place SEC and B1G team is in. That leaves 4 spots to be filled with (1) second place from the other conferences, (2) other non P5 teams and (3) schools 3rd or lower from the conferences.

I think the SEC can expect 3, 4 or 5 is pushing it.

Yep we’ll see how it goes

Score more points than the other team. I kid I kid. It all starts up front as cliche as that sounds. Hopefully we get some guys back and some of the younger kids develop. If Nico is as good as advertised and has a couple seconds to throw I think we’ll be fine. We need a Hyatt type home run threat. I think Thornton can be that guy. He was starting to come along then got hurt.

We’ll most likely be an 8-9 win team again next year IMO provided Coop, Mincey and Spraggins elect to stay. We don’t have the depth yet to contend for the playoff.

I agree 8-9, but think we could push for maybe 10-11 IF Nico is a world beater on another level and able to put the offense on his back in spots and carry the team AND if we are able to pull in a plug-n-play TE (maybe the ND kid) and a couple ready-to-go DB's out the portal. So as we stand now, 8-9 but after the bowls and early signing day will show me more and I hope this coaching staff can finish, not only strong, but with an ace or 2 up their sleeve.

Reactions: cherokeeeVOL
Actually, all the big 3 conferences are in a similar situation come next year. The SEC will be the strongest still but the ACC and BIG10 both become a lot more competitive with probably 15-20 of the preseason top 25 coming from those conferences. Gone are the days of BIG 10 and ACC teams having cakewalk schedules. This will likely open up spots to non power3 schools to slide in like the Big12 which becomes the new pac-12 lol. It's gonna be really hard for more than two teams to come out of either of the SEC, ACC, BIG10 to come out with less than 2 losses. There will be some 3-4 loss teams in the playoffs and some teams from weaker conferences will slide in because of their easier schedules.

It will be really interesting how the pollsters adjust because the reality of how tough an SEC schedule is gonna come into clarity for a lot of these schools. Look at Iowa who made the championship game because the only team with a pulse they played last year was Penn State. Michigan only played OSU and Penn State regular season. OSU only played Michigan Penn State and ND. Penn State Played OSU, UM and Iowa. The rest of their schedules was a joke. Similar story for FSU (LSU and Duke). That will not be true going forward for those schools.

Also Knowing the playoffs are a thing is gonna change stakes for regular season games. Most teams check out once they get 1 or 2 losses. Because they know its over for a natty. Now every game matters even if you have 2-3 L's you're still in the hunt. 9 wins is the new 10 wins. Conference championship games become seeding games because chances are both participants in the Big 3 conf champs get in.

Reactions: volfan102455
I agree 8-9, but think we could push for maybe 10-11 IF Nico is a world beater on another level and able to put the offense on his back in spots and carry the team AND if we are able to pull in a plug-n-play TE (maybe the ND kid) and a couple ready-to-go DB's out the portal. So as we stand now, 8-9 but after the bowls and early signing day will show me more and I hope this coaching staff can finish, not only strong, but with an ace or 2 up their sleeve.
Yep it would be fun to have another 2022 year for sure. I’ll add no significant injuries as well to your list. The injury bug hit hard this past season.

Reactions: NATHAN05
Score more points than the other team. I kid I kid. It all starts up front as cliche as that sounds. Hopefully we get some guys back and some of the younger kids develop. If Nico is as good as advertised and has a couple seconds to throw I think we’ll be fine. We need a Hyatt type home run threat. I think Thornton can be that guy. He was starting to come along then got hurt.

I don't know because I am convinced the offense is going to look completely different based on the expected starting QB for the year.

I hated how this offense looked this season with all the bubble screens, but I do get the feeling it was as efficient as it could be with the personnel. Now it would have looked way different if we could have won more on matchups more consistently. I probably would have loved seeing 60-yard screen passes here or there.

VN Store

Back