What is the 2024 Season Recipe for Success

We most certainly lost Florida due to lack of depth along the offensive line, specifically at the center position.
We lost to Fla because we let them run wild it had nothing to do with Center depth. If Cooper plays we still lose that game. Did u forget the poor tackling from that night?? We made their QB look like a Heisman candidate. Center depth didn't effect that.

We lost to Fla because we let them run wild it had nothing to do with Center depth. If Cooper plays we still lose that game. Did u forget the poor tackling from that night?? We made their QB look like a Heisman candidate. Center depth didn't effect that.
I know there were other issues in that game but our offense looked way better with Cooper in there once he got back. It was a pretty glaring difference, in my opinion anyway.

Reactions: Sarms58
7 of the top 12 teams in the CFP rankings will be SEC teams next year. More beating up on each other sure, but 4-5 teams in the SEC making a 12 team playoff will prob be the norm.
And we have one of the easier schedules. Need to win 1 of Oklahoma, Alabama, Georgia, then hold serve against the rest. Very doable.

Run the ball at will
Complete 90% of our passes
Have no offensive turnovers
Convert every 3rd down conversion
Never trail in any game

Sounds so easy on paper.

Biggest ingredient? Get that Tempo cranked up again this year. No more of that looking at the sideline for 20 seconds every snap (unless we are trying to run clock)
Yah, and I think this comes down to football IQ.

Hendon Hooker apparently has a formidible football IQ. He could run the offense super-fast, without coaching between plays from the sideline. So the offense flew. Hyatt and Tillman and McCoy could decide their routes all on their own, successfully, so that they were frequently uncovered after making their cut. And Hendon could anticipate their decisions, their cuts, and so their locations. And hit them quickly as soon as they broke free.

We seem to have missed that this year.

Everyone criticizes Joe for an apparent lack of accuracy. It is true he would tend to throw too hard, without enough touch, when he got excited or pressured, and would occasionally miss high. But, really, I think the bigger issue was one of football IQ.

Our coaches did what they could with the talent they had in 2023. Just as they did in 2022, and 2021. And they'll make the most of the talent available in 2024.

If you think as highly of Nico as I do, you're excited for what that's gonna mean.

I think 2024 is gonna be at LEAST 2022-levels of fun.

Go Vols!

It begins at the lines of scrimmage. It doesn’t matter how good Nico is, if the OL isn’t good, then the offense won’t be that good. Same with the DL. If they cannot be disruptive and physical then the defense is screwed. Our secondary HAS to improve significantly.

Our running game was great especially considering that our downfield passing game was subpar.

Take away screen passes and what would the passing stats look like?

Combine our running game with just an average downfield passing attack and we will be elite on offense.

Unlike a decent size of our posters I think the defense is getting better every year and I look for another better year next year.

Things are looking up and I believe we will be up there next year.

7 of the top 12 teams in the CFP rankings will be SEC teams next year. More beating up on each other sure, but 4-5 teams in the SEC making a 12 team playoff will prob be the norm.

They will be playing each other - someone will lose. The SEC will start to look like the PAC and Big 12 where the conference champ is rarely undefeated and sometimes may have 2 losses because of the schedule. The East / West division has actually helped the SEC, in particular Georgia. The B1G will have more than just 3 teams that will have to play each other.

You are also basing it on this year - Looking at the past 4 years, including OU and Texas the maximum was 5 and the last two there was just 3. And it remains to be seen if the success OU and Texas had this year will be sustained within the SEC.

2022 - Only 3 of the SEC teams were in the top 12. Texas and OU were not in the top 12.
2021 - Once again only 3, Texas and OU were not among the top 12.
2020 - There were 4 and OU makes 5.
2019 - There were 4 and OU makes 5.

I think 3 will be the norm for the SEC and B1G. But I also believe the days of undefeated teams among the P5 conferences will come to a close. There will be some years when a team has a favorable schedule, and it may happen but more are going to have a loss or 2.

VN Store

Back