What the Herd, Heard about Hurd

WoodsmanVol

It takes wisdom to understand wisdom.
I recall some folks saying the Hurd's size would mean he ends being a TE, or DB or some other position. I was nosing around the SI website and saw that the one we missed Derrick Henry, is 6'3", 238lbs and without question a RB and Alabama. Has a fractured or broken fibula but definitely a RB in the mold of Bama backs the past few years. So why do the Hurd doubters doubt Hurd's staying a RB once he gets to the UT?

Reactions: 2 people
I recall some folks saying the Hurd's size would mean he ends being a TE, or DB or some other position. I was nosing around the SI website and saw that the one we missed Derrick Henry, is 6'3", 238lbs and without question a RB and Alabama. Has a fractured or broken fibula but definitely a RB in the mold of Bama backs the past few years. So why do the Hurd doubters doubt Hurd's staying a RB once he gets to the UT?

I don't think any of the "Hurd doubters" are coaches, maybe just pretend ones.

Reactions: 13 people
Most of the HURD doubters was on Defense....hoping he decides to move on the other side of the line....He is going to be a stud by the time he leaves UT

I agree. But this is a Vols fan board so not meant for the coaches. :)

Granted. I just meant that those comments shouldn't be of much concern. I'm one of the ones that makes comments that the coaches would disagree with (not always, I hope). Others shouldn't worry that my comments will affect the way the players or the team lines up or plays.

he needs to not run standing straight up. it worhs in high school because of his size might not work in the sec

Reactions: 1 person

Hurd is a RB all day and being recruited as one. The ones saying he wont play RB dont have a clue. If they were planning on him playing D we would be recruiting a few more RB's. He and Paulk will be a great RB combo for yrs to come.

Granted. I just meant that those comments shouldn't be of much concern. I'm one of the ones that makes comments that the coaches would disagree with (not always, I hope). Others shouldn't worry that my comments will affect the way the players or the team lines up or plays.

Hmmmmmm. :ermm: Okay. Sure wish we had also landed Derrick Henry.

he needs to not run standing straight up. it worhs in high school because of his size might not work in the sec

True. If I may do so, I venture a theory. Mostly based on something I saw a while back regarding CBJ and high school coaches. I think Jones and company point out things to hs coaches so they start working with recruits before they hit the UT campus. I believe Saban does this if I recall a tidbit I read some time ago, correctly. In any case, this issue may be corrected or at least the recruit will know to put work in on this and more before coming to the UT.

I HATE when people bring up his "upright" running style. Darren McFadden finished 2nd in the Heisman with the exact same style. Adrian Peterson is the best RB on the entire planet with the exact same style. He will learn to lower his head as he gets better coaching but to say he can't run straight up in the SEC is ridiculous and just plain wrong. #GoVOLS!

I HATE when people bring up his "upright" running style. Darren McFadden finished 2nd in the Heisman with the exact same style. Adrian Peterson is the best RB on the entire planet with the exact same style. He will learn to lower his head as he gets better coaching but to say he can't run straight up in the SEC is ridiculous and just plain wrong. #GoVOLS!

Eddie George agrees.

When HURD gets here he will throw turds at the so called folks when he crosses the goal line.:)

All i can say is ERIC DICKERSON when you talk about running straight up, all i can say is we got a ED on hand then boom, for the next 3 years 80 yard runs and alot of touchdowns.:td:

We lost a lot of recruits b/c dooley didn't get it. :yes:

I think folks need to calm down. Hurd is already on the tall side for a RB. If he grows much more he may not end up being a RB. He is listed a 6'3'' Growing 2 inches your Senior year is not uncommon and I do not remember many 6'5'' RBs. . That isn't negative about Hurd. Just a fact. I do not care what position he ends up at....just glad is coming to UT.

Eddie George agrees.

I learned my lesson on judging upright running styles with Eddie George. I thought he was gonna be a bust in the NFL because of it, but I was wrong.

I also already see in Hurd's highlights many times when he does lower his pads to get ready to take/give contact.

I don't like it either BUT it's not a good idea to run upright. Especially in this day and age of players who are known to intentionally deliver a hit that removes a RB from the game.

However, if memory serves, well I could GOOGLE it but am too lazy to do so right now. If memory serves Eric Dickerson ran upright too. I believe he played for the Rams before he did for the Colts. Anyway, I recall the Rams coach expression concern that ED ran upright and he feared he would get a very nasty hit as a result. But then the same coach turned around and said that the way ED ran, it might impossible to get a clean shot at him. In a nutshell, it really isn't a good idea to run upright in the SEC or NFL especially. But some RBs get away with it.

Last edited:
Well considering he's 6'3, I still think he needs to play running back. It's just hard to imagine him playing on defense. There's a couple of things he needs to work on while he runs but he has all the potential to be one of the best running backs in the SEC in a few years.

VN Store

Back