What type of NIL deal would it take to keep Dylan Sampson?

Oldblood

Go Vols
I was thinking about this as I looked at Jalen Wright's contract with Miami. His four-year deal pays about $4-5 million so a little over $1 million per year. Since running back is not a high value position and Dylan might not be an very early pick (even if he has a great season), I wonder if there is any NIL scenarios that might keep him at UT.

I could see a word where if he's projected as 2nd/3rd rounder, he might stay to earn some $'s and increase his draft stock.

Reactions: SandoVOL
I was thinking about this as I looked at Jalen Wright's contract with Miami. His four-year deal pays about $4-5 million so a little over $1 million per year. Since running back is not a high value position and Dylan might not be an very early pick (even if he has a great season), I wonder if there is any NIL scenarios that might keep him at UT.

I could see a word where if he's projected as 2nd/3rd rounder, he might stay to earn some $'s and increase his draft stock.
RB's have a short life expectancy in the league. They all want to play there. No amount of money will keep him in orange. Next man up next year.

He’s gotta go. His stock will never be higher than having a 1400+ yard, 25+ touchdown season. And he’d be a year closer to a second contract, a year closer to a pension. Plus just in terms of roster construction, the amount of NIL we would have to spend to make it really worth it for him would be better spent elsewhere at positions that are harder to fill than running back.

Two things:
1. Dylan Sampson has exceeded my expectations.
2. We have some exciting young talent at RB who are waiting for their turn.

I hope Sampson gets a great NFL opportunity and moves on. If he wants to come back for another year, I’d love to see that too.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I think OP's point is that if the NFL doesn't value running backs, we might consider bidding against that.
However, just because an amount is "small" in the NFL doesn't mean it's affordable for an ncaa team.

(I don't know the numbers, just wanted to make sure people are arguing the same thing. I too want him to get drafted high and succeed at the next level.)

Reactions: Sudden Impact
As a Rb, his shelf life in the league is not very long. PLus his value likely goes down if he stays and puts more miles on his legs. Besides, there's no way on earth the collective pays him what he could get if he's drafted.

Assuming he's healthy, he will go without hesitation.

He’s gotta go. His stock will never be higher than having a 1400+ yard, 25+ touchdown season. And he’d be a year closer to a second contract, a year closer to a pension. Plus just in terms of roster construction, the amount of NIL we would have to spend to make it really worth it for him would be better spent elsewhere at positions that are harder to fill than running back.
I think this is right. Fans want favorite players to stay, but that’s rarely best for elite players and will become too expensive for schools in the NIL era. Tennessee is going to need to spend some money on the OL and probably the DL. Making a huge play for Sampson could take dollars that are needed more urgently elsewhere.

No reason for him to stay.

It’s been said in this thread already that RBs don’t have a long shelf life.

Take the money while you can.

Reactions: Volfan1000

He isn't increasing his draft stock more than it is right now. Unless he gets a major injury, he gone.

I met Dylan back in the spring and asked him about going to the league next year. He seemed surprised by the question and said he hadn’t thought about it. My guess is he has since.

Reactions: BanditVol

Or he could have a Hendon happen to him and not get drafted at all

It's a math equation. If he is a projected round 2-3 guy you go and get your money. If he is a back half of the draft guy you "could" consider staying for the right amount of NIL. The fact is a $1M+, if properly managed, is better in hand than potential earnings down the road.

Risk management is also an issue with likeliness to improve draft position and potential future earnings against potential for injury. The offense should only get better as Nico matures so I believe his main concern would be draft forecasting and potential injury (which can be insured against).

As others have said the RB postiion, unelss your name is Barkley or Henry, isn't valued as much as it used to be in the NFL due to shelf life of RBs.

He wasn’t an EE but I still wouldn’t be surprised if he has his degree by Spring (not that it’s a big determining factor for most guys, but D-Samp coming out of high school bragged that his GPA was higher than his 40 time).

Go get paid, young man. He’ll still be helping us out by boosting UT’s recruiting profile. More Vols in the NFL the better.

As a Rb, his shelf life in the league is not very long. PLus his value likely goes down if he stays and puts more miles on his legs. Besides, there's no way on earth the collective pays him what he could get if he's drafted.

Assuming he's healthy, he will go without hesitation.
As he should. He plays a position that’s disposable in the NFL. Go get paid while you can.

I think OP's point is that if the NFL doesn't value running backs, we might consider bidding against that.
However, just because an amount is "small" in the NFL doesn't mean it's affordable for an ncaa team.

(I don't know the numbers, just wanted to make sure people are arguing the same thing. I too want him to get drafted high and succeed at the next level.)
We could match the NFL for a season, but eventually he’s going to run out of eligibility. Sampson needs to make a decision based on how early someone might draft him, because that dictates how much he’ll get paid on a rookie contract.

Also, it’s high risk coming back and having a less productive season or getting injured, which would drop his draft value. Dropping in the draft will cost him a considerable amount of money for his first 3 seasons.

VN Store

Back