What Will Happen In Our Secondary?

Chitlin&theDude

In 3 years of Heupel we've seen (at least flashes of) quality and/or improvement at every position except one. Considering what Banks inherited, he's shown the defense has over achieved–although inconsistent. The d-line has looked really good most of the time. Our special teams has been incredible. We've shown we can be explosive in the passing game and running game. And yet, through 3 whole years the secondary has been crap.

I get that they're looking to rebuild the secondary, but it's been 3 years. It's past the time for results. Have most of the position coaching changes happened around the country? Is Martinez staying? I sure hope Heupel isn't loyal to a fault.

Do not agree that Banks has overachieved. Do not lay much of the blame at the feet of Martinez or any other position coach. Do not agree that anything on D has been primarily a matter of talent. Am willing to consider the possibility that UT's DBs were a mismatch for the scheme they want to run or maybe more likely that Heupel has given Banks an ultimatum to change the scheme and get players that fit it.

Regardless, I am glad to see change. It has been needed for a while.

In 3 years of Heupel we've seen (at least flashes of) quality and/or improvement at every position except one. Considering what Banks inherited, he's shown the defense has over achieved–although inconsistent. The d-line has looked really good most of the time. Our special teams has been incredible. We've shown we can be explosive in the passing game and running game. And yet, through 3 whole years the secondary has been crap.

I get that they're looking to rebuild the secondary, but it's been 3 years. It's past the time for results. Have most of the position coaching changes happened around the country? Is Martinez staying? I sure hope Heupel isn't loyal to a fault.

Martinez is staying, per Callahan on 247

Banks has improved the defense every year. From Pruitt's 30.1 ppg, 407 ypg in 2020; Banks improved it in 2021 to 29.1 ppg, 422 ypg in 2021; 22.8 ppg, 405 ypg in 2022; and 20.3 ppg, 335 ypg in 2023. Top 25 scoring defense this year. If we get the offense back into the top 3/ top 5 in the nation with a top 25 defense, UT will be tough to beat.

Isn't Martinez's contract up at the end of this month? And if renewed...for how long? Whatever happens there should speak volumes. If he's renewed for a shorter time period, it could be "now you got guys YOU wanted...make them produce". I think these coaches just didn't like the DB talent they inherited.

Isn't Martinez's contract up at the end of this month? And if renewed...for how long? Whatever happens there should speak volumes. If he's renewed for a shorter time period, it could be "now you got guys YOU wanted...make them produce". I think these coaches just didn't like the DB talent they inherited.
Didn’t like and didn’t trust

Reactions: 17Vols
It's been 3 years. Why didn't he bring in his guys last year or the year before?

Sometimes you eat the bear , sometimes the bear eats you ?

Some of us have been thinking this. I’ve been hoping since before last season that Martinez would retire or find greener pastures. No reasonable person would expect our secondary to improve as long as Martinez is still their coach. If he’s still here come spring practice, I will certainly lower my expectations for this fall’s W-L record. His body of work here speaks for itself.

I think it is Coach Garner who tells his kids “you are what you put on film.” That applies to position coaches, too, at least as I see it.

Did you not see how those DBs locked down Iowa's offensive juggarnaut and shut them out? Should be all anyone would need. 😉

It is addition by subtraction. In every move we will see an upgrade. The guys going out are middling 3 Stars and the ones coming in are 4 Star. The secondary will be better next year than it has been in years. Gibson will be a stud. The young guys are much better and the portal transfers are upgrades. We only need a few more transfers to restore depth. The depth we had this year was not quantity not quality. The guys in the bowl played very well, although Iowa is no measuring stick for a defense. Martinez is a good coach but he has been playing working with sub SRC talent. That’s changing.

VN Store

Back