What Will Happen In Our Secondary?

But will heads turn to look for the ball?
No never but that's OK, Tennessee intercepted 12 passes this year that apparently hit a reciever then bounced 10-15 yards behind them. I've learned here Tennessee DBs play with thier backs to the qb and stay at least 10 yds from the reciever.

Wish some of you would give it rest

In 3 years of Heupel we've seen (at least flashes of) quality and/or improvement at every position except one. Considering what Banks inherited, he's shown the defense has over achieved–although inconsistent. The d-line has looked really good most of the time. Our special teams has been incredible. We've shown we can be explosive in the passing game and running game. And yet, through 3 whole years the secondary has been crap.

I get that they're looking to rebuild the secondary, but it's been 3 years. It's past the time for results. Have most of the position coaching changes happened around the country? Is Martinez staying? I sure hope Heupel isn't loyal to a fault.
Our secondary was much better this year—starting with Hadden beginning the season as a weak link to being considered a potential NFL prospect I think? Not only that, Gabe JL has also declared for the pros. I think that says a lot. We recruited some top young talent behind those guys that are up next. I don’t see Huepel will make any changes considering this.

It is addition by subtraction. In every move we will see an upgrade. The guys going out are middling 3 Stars and the ones coming in are 4 Star. The secondary will be better next year than it has been in years. Gibson will be a stud. The young guys are much better and the portal transfers are upgrades. We only need a few more transfers to restore depth. The depth we had this year was not quantity not quality. The guys in the bowl played very well, although Iowa is no measuring stick for a defense. Martinez is a good coach but he has been playing working with sub SRC talent. That’s changing.
Martinez is not a good coach - he has been everywhere. Georgia, Oklahoma, and Central Florida under huepel. I understand they are friends and willie is suppose to be a good recruiter but he is not a good coach. Hype needs to make a change there.

Reactions: Chitlin&theDude
It surprises me that so many believe they are better than Josh Heupel at judging coaching ability.

And from a distance. With far less contact, exposure, awareness, understanding.

But so positive that they're right. So obstinately, feverishly positive.

~ ~ ~

For me, I'm going to trust Josh. If he thinks Willie is the best man for that job, I'm backing him.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
Passing game is harder to defend each year. Don’t think anyone would say we are where we want to be. A shutdown secondary is what we all want. Great pass defense means good coaching, talented DBs, and a good pass rush up front. The farther off any of those things are, the more pass defense suffers. Seems the best defensive teams are strong in all those areas. Point is, the best coach can’t overcome a lack of talent … and if the QB has all day to throw he’s probably going to find an open guy.

Nothing will change except faces. nobody tackles, lay back off receivers 10 yds, Never looks back. We had Martinez here before never got better and won't. Get used to 8and 4 and 9 and 3 seasons.

It surprises me that so many believe they are better than Josh Heupel at judging coaching ability.

And from a distance. With far less contact, exposure, awareness, understanding.

But so positive that they're right. So obstinately, feverishly positive.

~ ~ ~

For me, I'm going to trust Josh. If he thinks Willie is the best man for that job, I'm backing him.

Go Vols!
And you're right. He's privy to all the inside info that we don't know about. But results matter. Accountability matters. No matter what the issue, there can always be an excuse. My concern- is Heupel one of these coaches who's loyal to a fault? After 3 years our secondary should be better.

Like a Phoenix rising from the ashes, we will soon have the best pass defense in the ncaa and better than a few nfl teams as well!
1704555845337.png

And you're right. He's privy to all the inside info that we don't know about. But results matter. Accountability matters. No matter what the issue, there can always be an excuse. My concern- is Heupel one of these coaches who's loyal to a fault? After 3 years our secondary should be better.
Agreed. Results do matter.

And for the head coach, there are just a few key results to keep an eye on: (a) win-loss, (b) championships, (c) program being run ethically, in a way that reflects proudly on the school and develops the young men in the program in a positive way.

That's pretty much it.

I'm not going to judge a head coach on whether his DBs turn their heads before the ball gets there or whether the offensive linemen have solid footwork. That all gets rolled up as part of, did we win or did we lose?

I might be tempted to judge his DB and OL coaches on those things, but that takes us right back to, who knows those assistant coaches' talents better, me or the head coach?

So we always get back to : win-loss record, championships, and representing the university well in how the program is run.

Everything else is details, which belong to...the head coach.

Go Vols!

Agreed. Results do matter.

And for the head coach, there are just a few key results to keep an eye on: (a) win-loss, (b) championships, (c) program being run ethically, in a way that reflects proudly on the school and develops the young men in the program in a positive way.

That's pretty much it.

I'm not going to judge a head coach on whether his DBs turn their heads before the ball gets there or whether the offensive linemen have solid footwork. That all gets rolled up as part of, did we win or did we lose?

I might be tempted to judge his DB and OL coaches on those things, but that takes us right back to, who knows those assistant coaches' talents better, me or the head coach?

So we always get back to : win-loss record, championships, and representing the university well in how the program is run.

Everything else is details, which belong to...the head coach.

Go Vols!
Totally agree. And at the end of the day it's all on Heupels record on the field. But a good secondary sure would help add some Ws. CJH goes 8-4 again with loses to FL, AL & GA AGAIN, the verdict will come in on Heupel's future.

Martinez is not a good coach - he has been everywhere. Georgia, Oklahoma, and Central Florida under huepel. I understand they are friends and willie is suppose to be a good recruiter but he is not a good coach. Hype needs to make a change there.
I'm no fan of Willie, but CJH works with him on a daily basis and I trust the judgement of CJH. That being said, he has a fine record of recruiting. These are the guys he was primarily responsible to recruiting to Tennessee in the Class of 2024:

Reactions: Lars
It's quite obvious that our defensive coaches , especially DB's and safeties coaches cannot recruit 4 and 5 star players. We cannot continue to have to have our offense outscore every game for the reason we can't stop other SEC offenses. Heupel has to either recruit himself or bring in other defensive coaches that can recruit

I'm no fan of Willie, but CJH works with him on a daily basis and I trust the judgement of CJH. That being said, he has a fine record of recruiting. These are the guys he was primarily responsible to recruiting to Tennessee in the Class of 2024:

If he were such a great recruiter they wouldn't feel the need to rebuild the secondary. Again- year 3

Reactions: Swiftybaby

It is cool you can agree with hype but most folks make changes when a part of the branch/limb is weak. Secondary at Tennessee is pretty bad. You are cutting the slaw so I guess ole josh and willie are blaming those guys for being slow and can't play man etc. But I promise ya it is the coaching of our secondary that is not good.

It is cool you can agree with hype but most folks make changes when a part of the branch/limb is weak. Secondary at Tennessee is pretty bad. You are cutting the slaw so I guess ole josh and willie are blaming those guys for being slow and can't play man etc. But I promise ya it is the coaching of our secondary that is not good.
As I said, no fan of Willie

VN Store

Back