When Keepin' it Real on Social Media Goes Wrong!

Doesn't seem to be enough information in the article to facilitate an outrage session on this.

He asked for special treatment on a $4 coupon? Someone claimed he he had a mini fit in the store? His wife posted on facebook. He's being fired?

Maybe he went on a racist-laden tirade? Maybe he curtly said they should have honored the coupon and left? Maybe his wife posted on facebook that the owner's kids should be kidnapped and locked in a cage with pedophiles? Maybe she expressed disappointment?

That article was a non-story as written.

Reactions: 2 people
Doesn't seem to be enough information in the article to facilitate an outrage session on this.

He asked for special treatment on a $4 coupon? Someone claimed he he had a mini fit in the store? His wife posted on facebook. He's being fired?

Maybe he went on a racist-laden tirade? Maybe he curtly said they should have honored the coupon and left? Maybe his wife posted on facebook that the owner's kids should be kidnapped and locked in a cage with pedophiles? Maybe she expressed disappointment?

The simple fact that he/his wife even raised an eyebrow over $4 is enough to convince me he doesn't need to hold a position of authority.

Non-story for sure. Owner told him the coupon had expired....he should have said okay & left in a nice manner & could have waited for the next coupon to come about. I guess he thinks he's kinda important or something.

Reactions: 1 person
I think people should be more enraged then a city manager makes $200K a year.

That's absurd.

I know it's a Miami suburb, but the city of Sunrise only has a population of 93k. Crazy. Talk about a cush job, and of course paid for by the taxpayers of Sunrise.

Regardless, he shouldn't be fired over that. According to the article, he wasn't even behind the Facebook post (which I imagine the bakery is more upset about, since it was public) but it was his wife that did that.

It's amazing how social media seemingly supercharges emotions. Controversial stuff posted on social media seems to supercharge whatever controversy would have been caused if it was posted somewhere else (i.e., a letter to a newspaper) and outrage mobs that assemble on social media can have huge power and influence, even though it is a very small number of very vocal people who are likely behind it.

The simple fact that he/his wife even raised an eyebrow over $4 is enough to convince me he doesn't need to hold a position of authority.

You're probably right, but I still don't think there's enough in that article to tell us why the big blow up about it. Either there's something more to this, or that newspaper is having a very thin news week.

I was going to go with if you can't keep up with the expiration date on a coupon you don't need to be managing a city.

I know it's a Miami suburb, but the city of Sunrise only has a population of 93k. Crazy. Talk about a cush job, and of course paid for by the taxpayers of Sunrise.

Regardless, he shouldn't be fired over that. According to the article, he wasn't even behind the Facebook post (which I imagine the bakery is more upset about, since it was public) but it was his wife that did that.

It's amazing how social media seemingly supercharges emotions. Controversial stuff posted on social media seems to supercharge whatever controversy would have been caused if it was posted somewhere else (i.e., a letter to a newspaper) and outrage mobs that assemble on social media can have huge power and influence, even though it is a very small number of very vocal people who are likely behind it.

Lot of money down there. No excuse though.

Are we haggling over the amount of responsibility or what is fair compensation for it?

Depends on the city

I think Golf said it best. A city manager for like, say LA or NYC, perhaps it is just compensation. It also depends on the responsibilities said job entails.

A city of 93,000 though? We're talking a city half the size of Chattanooga.

I think Golf said it best. A city manager for like, say LA or NYC, perhaps it is just compensation. It also depends on the responsibilities said job entails.

A city of 93,000 though? We're talking a city half the size of Chattanooga.

Again, I'm not having a conversation about the justification or the amount of the compensation.

City managers generally have the same responsibility from one municipality to the other and it's broad, irrespective of the number of people.

Edit - the two city's you've cited, I believe are mayor/council forms of government, not manager/council styles.

We have a manager/council style and a mayor. The mayor is nothing more than a figurehead, he kisses baby's, gladhands and mugs for the local news. The city manager does ALL the heavy lifting.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back