When Keepin' it Real on Social Media Goes Wrong!

Again, I'm not having a conversation about the justification or the amount of the compensation.

City managers generally have the same responsibility from one municipality to the other and it's broad, irrespective of the number of people.

Edit - the two city's you've cited, I believe are mayor/council forms of government, not manager/council styles.

We have a manager/council style and a mayor. The mayor is nothing more than a figurehead, he kisses baby's, gladhands and mugs for the local news. The city manager does ALL the heavy lifting.

So, would you say $200K is an absurd number?

So, would you say $200K is an absurd number?

I think one would need to know more about the cost of living in Broward, what the industry comparables are, his experience, benefits and other 'perks' etc.

San Antonio's city manager makes almost a half a million. San Jose-$479k Dallas-$375k Phoenix-$315k Austin-$309k Charlotte-$300k

Doesn't seem that far out of line.

I think people should be more enraged then a city manager makes $200K a year.

That's absurd.

WAnna know whats more absurd? He probably gets a 90%+ pension from that city job..

City jobs apparently are the way to go for a sweet retirement in this country..

I think people should be more enraged then a city manager makes $200K a year.

That's absurd.

Is it? What's the market rate? A city manager that wisely saves the city $300k a year more than earns his $200k salary, right?

One of the problems with government is that they resist paying for value. Good teachers and ****ty teachers get paid the same.

If you want a good manager, you gotta pay for it, right? "After all, we're not communists."

San Antonio's city manager makes almost a half a million. San Jose-$479k Dallas-$375k Phoenix-$315k Austin-$309k Charlotte-$300k

Doesn't seem that far out of line.

My problem with this is, again, "public service." $200-500K for a city level government job?

I mean, if the taxpayers put up with it, I guess I can't complain. But when one of those cities goes bankrupt, no complaining from the residents should be heard since they allowed it to happen.

The real issue with pay is I guarantee there's a sweetheart benefit package including some form of pension that will pay this salary (or something close to it) for life. One of the reasons the Janus decision was so important for some fiscal sanity in the public sector.

Reactions: 1 person
Is it? What's the market rate? A city manager that wisely saves the city $300k a year more than earns his $200k salary, right?

One of the problems with government is that they resist paying for value. Good teachers and ****ty teachers get paid the same.

If you want a good manager, you gotta pay for it, right? "After all, we're not communists."

And if he makes only $100K, he saves the city $200K and in turn could possibly lower taxes. (fantasy land, I know, but go with it)

Works both ways, Huff.

The real issue with pay is I guarantee there's a sweetheart benefit package including some form of pension that will pay this salary (or something close to it) for life. One of the reasons the Janus decision was so important for some fiscal sanity in the public sector.

For sure. I doubt it's money wisely spent, but it's not automatically a bad thing either.

For sure. I doubt it's money wisely spent, but it's not automatically a bad thing either.

I agree but it's hard to apply a market forces argument in a situation that has shielded itself from market forces. I highly doubt compensation in these jobs is based on anything other than institutional history.

I agree but it's hard to apply a market forces argument in a situation that has shielded itself from market forces. I highly doubt compensation in these jobs is based on anything other than institutional history.

Do city managers typically get hired from within the government? IDK. My friend's Dad was city attorney, and he started elsewhere.

If you had to hire a good private sector manager away from a good gig, clearly you'd have to pay well, but I'm not sure that's how it ever works.

Do city managers typically get hired from within the government? IDK. My friend's Dad was city attorney, and he started elsewhere.

If you had to hire a good private sector manager away from a good gig, clearly you'd have to pay well, but I'm not sure that's how it ever works.

My bet is they have pretty tight salary windows for each position. So if someone from outside comes in who was upper level corporate they wouldn't bump the salary up to attract them.

Public. Service.

I also think Congress should be on the military enlisted pay scale as well.

A city manager isn't a public servant IMO, just like a cop or fireman. They are paid professionals and if a city wants to offer up that salary I can't fault a person for taking it.

Are you kidding? City managers have a tremendous amount of responsibility.

Gimme a break. They aren't running a business. There isn't much strategic or long-term thinking. They run a bureaucracy that pretty much is on autopilot.

Exactly.

I know it's a Miami suburb, but the city of Sunrise only has a population of 93k. Crazy. Talk about a cush job, and of course paid for by the taxpayers of Sunrise.

Regardless, he shouldn't be fired over that. According to the article, he wasn't even behind the Facebook post (which I imagine the bakery is more upset about, since it was public) but it was his wife that did that.

It's amazing how social media seemingly supercharges emotions. Controversial stuff posted on social media seems to supercharge whatever controversy would have been caused if it was posted somewhere else (i.e., a letter to a newspaper) and outrage mobs that assemble on social media can have huge power and influence, even though it is a very small number of very vocal people who are likely behind it.

I wonder if the story about his wife writing the post is like the "dog ate my homework" excuse. He may have written it himself and then she took the blame.

BTW-I lived in Sunrise when I moved to Florida. It has gotten very crowded but still a nice area.

Last edited:
I hate to see a person lose their job, but this is pretty ridiculous. When are people going to learn that once you post something on Social Media it's out there for everyone to see.

Bundt cake tantrum could cost Florida city manager his $204,000 job

Biggest red flag I see is the arrogance this displayed, He felt he was "important" enough to deserve the free item, didn't feel necessary to follow the same rules as everyone else, sounds like their swamp might need the plug pulled to.

VN Store

Back