When Sports Writers Are Wrong

Only one I caught at a glance was saying Sampson was the second leading rusher behind Small. Pretty innocent error. What else was there?

Reactions: Vol8188
I wouldn’t expect much out of these guys anymore. Sports journalism is probably going to be replaced by AI soon anyway. Most of the news I get about the vols are from Reddit, VN, and YouTube and if I want to hear about other teams I’ll watch Josh Pates show but I’m not a huge fan of that one. Other team news tends to bore me to sleep just about.

Reactions: sami and Remy
Maybe the writer is just of the opinion that Sampson is diminutive in stature?
Maybe he saw the way the Iowa rush pushed him around like a paper doll. He did not protect the QB very well and was one of the reasons why he was sacked at least times. Someone has to realized that Sampson has to improve at picking and stopping the blitz. I love him as a runner, but the is not his only responsibility. He has all Spring and Summer to learn how to do it.

journalistic standards have been thrown by the wayside for a while. as long as the journalist and editor agree politically, then inaccuracies will be accepted. that applies to sports journalism as well as the news.
It's more that every schmo with a cell phone camera and a blog thinks he's a journalist while throwing out random crap quick that consumers eat up, forcing real journalists to play that game and have to be faster and faster whether it is correct or not. Case in point, look at how many people comment "Thanks Jimmy" as an insult to anyone that's 2 hours behind. Consumers demand live up to the second info instead of waiting until all the facts are known.

journalistic standards have been thrown by the wayside for a while. as long as the journalist and editor agree politically, then inaccuracies will be accepted. that applies to sports journalism as well as the news.

This x 1000. You beat me to it.

It's more that every schmo with a cell phone camera and a blog thinks he's a journalist while throwing out random crap quick that consumers eat up, forcing real journalists to play that game and have to be faster and faster whether it is correct or not. Case in point, look at how many people comment "Thanks Jimmy" as an insult to anyone that's 2 hours behind. Consumers demand live up to the second info instead of waiting until all the facts are known.
yeah, you have a point.

"Small joined quarterback Nico Iamaleava in the backfield who also made an impressive first-career start for the Volunteers, scoring four total touchdowns in Tennessee’s second straight bowl victory. With the duo potentially giving a sneak peek of what’s to come next season for the Volunteers’ offense."

Fake news and confusing to the elderly.

On3 is supposed to be a leading source for football analysis. So the obvious errors in this article by Kaiden Smith are jaw droppers. I've noticed that many sport writers do not know what they are writing about our team, and yet they write anyway as if they do.
Dylan Sampson glad he got opportunity to prove he can be a No. 1 running back

He doesn't seem to be a Volquest writer, so I think the mistakes, while they shouldn't happen, are excusable. Stuff like this has happened in newspapers for years, which is why you've seen corrections when the mistakes are pointed out. Send him an email, show him where he messed up, and he'll update the article.

Reactions: Lars
Maybe he saw the way the Iowa rush pushed him around like a paper doll. He did not protect the QB very well and was one of the reasons why he was sacked at least times. Someone has to realized that Sampson has to improve at picking and stopping the blitz. I love him as a runner, but the is not his only responsibility. He has all Spring and Summer to learn how to do it.
It is the chink in his armor.
Wright was much better pass blocking this season, but Small has been a gem protecting the QB. I really think we miss him a lot next season. He is also a much better running between the tackles than Sampson.
I know our young RBs are very talented. We need Seldon to make his case for touches, and maybe one of the new Fr as well.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
It is the chink in his armor.
Wright was much better pass blocking this season, but Small has been a gem protecting the QB. I really think we miss him a lot next season. He is also a much better running between the tackles than Sampson.
I know our young RBs are very talented. We need Seldon to make his case for touches, and maybe one of the new Fr as well.

Much like Bru was a much better blocker on the edge than the next guys in line. Ability to block doesn't show up in the stats, but it makes a huge difference.

I have also noticed (not just with sports) that "journalists" rush to get a story out so quickly that all proofreading and editing is thrown out the window.
It is pretty bad, especially online.
I did a commentary column for a base magazine back in the day (for two monthly columns).
Two issues in I was done. The editor edited in more than half a dozen misspellings and grammatical errors in both of the submitted columns and I told them I had no interest in doing anymore unless they were printed only as submitted. I knew they couldn't do that.
It was embarrassing. The men and women in the office got a kick out of it. I was the one they came to for spelling and grammar fixes, so they loved the irony.

And that was an award-winning military post magazine editor.

VN Store

Back