When you see these you will know the corner has been turned

knoxvols1

For all the excitement and everyone talking about this player and/or that player. Tennessee will not be competative till we have players that run like Charlie Garner and Jamal Lewis or Hayden and Little Man Stewart or the Travis'. Recievers and players like Gault and Pickens and Carter; Stalworth and Price. Tacklers like Delong and Thompson and Wilson. Big boys who control the line like Henderson and blockers like Clifton. We have one or two every now and then lime Berry and Hardesty but for so long we've been with mediocre line Riggs and Houston while we watched Brown and Williams and others make teams into what we used to be! You guys think about that when you post.

Reactions: 4 people
So we'll have turned a corner when we're stacked with good players. Good to know, I was wondering when it would happen.

Reactions: 7 people
For all the excitement and everyone talking about this player and/or that player. Tennessee will not be competative till we have players that run like Charlie Garner and Jamal Lewis or Hayden and Little Man Stewart or the Travis'. Recievers and players like Gault and Pickens and Carter; Stalworth and Price. Tacklers like Delong and Thompson and Wilson. Big boys who control the line like Henderson and blockers like Clifton. We have one or two every now and then lime Berry and Hardesty but for so long we've been with mediocre lime Riggs and Houston while we watched Brown and Williams and others make teams into what we used to be! You guys think about that when you post.

I think we see Big Dan grow into his own this year and become a. . .wait for it. . . #foundation #brick that the team will build on. He will have some game altering plays in some big games this year IMO
:popcorn:

Reactions: 1 person
Thought I was going to hear some good news @ Sutton, Foreman or Colman when I clicked in. Oh well, thanks for the roadmap.

For all the excitement and everyone talking about this player and/or that player. Tennessee will not be competative till we have players that run like Charlie Garner and Jamal Lewis or Hayden and Little Man Stewart or the Travis'. Recievers and players like Gault and Pickens and Carter; Stalworth and Price. Tacklers like Delong and Thompson and Wilson. Big boys who control the line like Henderson and blockers like Clifton. We have one or two every now and then lime Berry and Hardesty but for so long we've been with mediocre lime Riggs and Houston while we watched Brown and Williams and others make teams into what we used to be! You guys think about that when you post.
I totally agree! At the end of the day it comes down to the Moes and the Joes....and if my Moes are better atheletes than your Joes then we're probably gonna win more battles through the course of a game! It's really that simple. Of course you have to factor competent coaching and great effort into the equation...but atheletes determine "most" games! We'll get there, but it's going to take some time. I personally hope Butch proves to be the man to right the ship!

I totally agree! At the end of the day it comes down to the Moes and the Joes....and if my Moes are better atheletes than your Joes then we're probably gonna win more battles through the course of a game! It's really that simple. Of course you have to factor competent coaching and great effort into the equation...but atheletes determine "most" games! We'll get there, but it's going to take some time. I personally hope Butch proves to be the man to right the ship!

Good response... I think your looking for the "our Jimmy's and Joe's are better than Your X's and O's" analogy... Either way your correct and wrong at the same time. Football is the ultimate TEAM sport. Great Post tho !

You will know the corner has be turned when you see the wave return to Neyland during the 2nd half of an SEC game not played in November.

"nailed it"

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people

Cedric Houston was mediocre?

The SEC now is not what it was in the late 80's and 90's. Those are great players but every team is loaded with great players now. We need those type players all across the board just to get into the top half of the SEC now. I think most everyone here realizes outside of The OL and AJ on defense we are limited talent wise.

btw, Carter (assuming Dale) was a DB not receiver.

Last edited:
There are many others who have provided excitement and helped build the program that was. Mose Phillips and Tony Thompson as well as Leonard Little. At the end of the 90's, like another poster commented, the talent was all over the field not just a few star players. Yes, Houston was mediocre-Brown and Williams proved that!

You have the answer! Why didn't CBJ think of this. Lets just have a fantasy draft for our team.

Guiness-Brilliant.jpeg

Reactions: 2 people
Good response... I think your looking for the "our Jimmy's and Joe's are better than Your X's and O's" analogy... Either way your correct and wrong at the same time. Football is the ultimate TEAM sport. Great Post tho !

Yes...same analogy. We just say Moes and Joes in my area.

Lets see we lost 2 wrs to the Nfl early another makes the jets almost the nfl and Bray and Rivera both in Nfl. Yep no talent coming through knoxville. We had one of our best offenses ever led by our worst coach ever. Waylon Jennings said straightening the curves flattening the hills some the mountains might gettem but the law never will then again Bo and Luke never threw golf balls at cars.

It was dynamite:loco::clapping::focus::focus:

Last edited:
So you are saying we should appreciate these VFLs and their time here? Well I do sir and a few other things I appreciate .......
wet t-shirts.....cold days
cell phone cameras.......mirrors.......

The posts have now gone from "fire Hammie and Dooley" to have we "turned the corner'? If excitement stands for anything we surely have, but still have some ground to make up. I am satisfied we have some "hosses" here and more on the way.

I am glad to hear that the corner has turned for us. Seems that was a major issue last season. You know, not having our corners turn around and run to tackle the football.....

The corner will have been turned when people quit saying they'll be happy with a 6-6 season.

Great Post!!! One of the best I have seen in a long time. Who would have ever thought we would be worried about
getting beat by WKU at home. I hope and pray that we have made the turn..:rock:

Last edited:
The SEC now is not what it was in the late 80's and 90's. Those are great players but every team is loaded with great players now. We need those type players all across the board just to get into the top half of the SEC now. I think most everyone here realizes outside of The OL and AJ on defense we are limited talent wise.

btw, Carter (assuming Dale) was a DB not receiver.

The main difference is the ESPN hype machine taking notice. 1997 the SEC had six teams finish in the top 25 and had Missouri and A&M been part of the conference there would have been eight. Another difference is Miami, FSU and Nebraska are not dominant. Those 90's rosters UT had would would be elite in the conference now. Florida is not as talented so LSU and Bama are pretty much in the UT and UF role.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back