Where this team stands after the LSU series

NighthawkVol

29 games and 3 SEC series into the season, I thought I discuss some thoughts about what this team looks like and where it's going.

OUTFIELD: During the offseason, I didn't think the outfield would be as unsettled as it is this deep into the season. Based on what we'd heard, I thought Backus would likely be a starter. I thought Stanwich would push for a starting job. I thought Booker was ready to break out. Between those guys, Chapman and Drieling, along with Merritt (who, as reigning AAC POY seemed certain to be a major contributor), I figured we were in great shape. But Dreiling apparently isn't ready defensively, Booker hasn't broken out, Merritt hasn't lived up to expectations, and Stanwich took the year off. Backus hasn't even played.

Now the good news: Hunter Ensley seems to have locked down CF and is hitting well. Booker, who has all the tools, busted out against LSU. Christian Scott has shown signs of starting to hit. Those 3 make for a fantastic defensive outfield. If the latter two have "seen the light" at the plate and can be solid there, that would do wonders for this lineup because it means Dickey can play Catcher.

CATCHER: I think the Catcher needs to be Dickey. He looked comfortable behind the plate against LSU. Taylor is best utilized as a late inning defensive replacement, but really creates a hole in the lineup. TV hasn't seemed to show much faith in Stark behind the plate. Starting Dickey at Catcher means we get another outfield bat in the lineup instead of Taylor.

PITCHING: Our bullpen has been much better than our starting rotation. I didn't expect that, but I see it as a good thing...because we know what Dollander, Burns, and Beam can do. Those three haven't come close to hitting their stride yet, but they will. When they do, our starting rotation, combined with our elite bullpen will be, well, elite. I think our pitching in May and June will give us a huge leg up.

INFIELD: Ahuna is better than he's shown so far. Denton has been as good as (or better than) expected. Burke has slumped a little lately, but there's no question how good he and Moore are. The concern has been defense with this group. I think all have ability. I suspect that chemistry plays a role, but I do think they can and will get better defensively.

SCHEDULE: We knew the schedule wouldn't do Tennessee any favors. aTm, LSU, Florida, Arkansas, and Vanderbilt in consecutive weekends is brutal. We didn't realize what a disadvantage it would be playing Missouri when we did. a) Temps in the 20s and 30s created a ridiculous environment, and b) Missouri losing their Friday and Saturday starters AFTER playing Tennessee means Tennessee had to play a much better Missouri team than others will. That sweep really put Tennessee behind the 8-ball.

Also, Kentucky doesn't look like the pushover we thought they'd be, although I think their schedule has made them look a little better than they are. The good news is, MSU and Georgia aren't as good as projected. The sweep of aTm was huge. Getting out of Baton Rouge with 1 win was big (even though it felt like we should have won at least one of the other 2). My hope is that Tennessee can go a game over .500 combined against Florida, Arkansas, or Vanderbilt. That may sound conservative to some, but that's just a brutal stretch. Go 5-4 in those games, then maybe go 6-3 (or better) against Kentucky, MSU, and Georgia, and I'm happy. Then we try to win the South Carolina series...a tall order, but doable, especially if our starting rotation has come around by then. So I'm looking at/hoping for a 13-8 finish in the SEC. That puts us at 17-13 in the SEC. Not what we've been the last 2 years, but plenty good enough going into the postseason, given the schedule.

I'm not worried about winning the SEC this year. I'm not worried about winning the SECT, either. If we do either, great. But I'm looking at Omaha. Tennessee is presently 5th in the SEC East (which is much better than the West) and ranked in the top 10. Finish the way I hope and we're hosting a Regional. We're likely hosting a Super Regional, given the difficulty of our schedule and where we would end up ranked (both by human and computer rankings).

WHAT NEEDS TO IMPROVE:
-Defense. See above. The infield has to get better defensively.
-Base-running. No comment needed. We've all seen it. To be fair, Dickey made a great base-running play yesterday, deeking the LSU catcher into throwing behind him so he could take 3rd.

WHAT PROBABLY WILL IMPROVE:
-I think Griffin Merritt will eventually come around.
-Ahuna will bust out at some point. He's too good not to.
-The starting pitching. Three future first rounders and Frank Anderson aren't going to be average all season.
-Kavaris Tears will eventually get healthy. Does he become the regular DH? If so, does Dreiling take an OF spot? Or does Tears take an OF spot instead? Good problem to have.

I feel good about where this team is headed. I think yesterday was a harbinger of what is to come.

29 games and 3 SEC series into the season, I thought I discuss some thoughts about what this team looks like and where it's going.

OUTFIELD: During the offseason, I didn't think the outfield would be as unsettled as it is this deep into the season. Based on what we'd heard, I thought Backus would likely be a starter. I thought Stanwich would push for a starting job. I thought Booker was ready to break out. Between those guys, Chapman and Drieling, along with Merritt (who, as reigning AAC POY seemed certain to be a major contributor), I figured we were in great shape. But Dreiling apparently isn't ready defensively, Booker hasn't broken out, Merritt hasn't lived up to expectations, and Stanwich took the year off. Backus hasn't even played.

Now the good news: Hunter Ensley seems to have locked down CF and is hitting well. Booker, who has all the tools, busted out against LSU. Christian Scott has shown signs of starting to hit. Those 3 make for a fantastic defensive outfield. If the latter two have "seen the light" at the plate and can be solid there, that would do wonders for this lineup because it means Dickey can play Catcher.

CATCHER: I think the Catcher needs to be Dickey. He looked comfortable behind the plate against LSU. Taylor is best utilized as a late inning defensive replacement, but really creates a hole in the lineup. TV hasn't seemed to show much faith in Stark behind the plate. Starting Dickey at Catcher means we get another outfield bat in the lineup instead of Taylor.

PITCHING: Our bullpen has been much better than our starting rotation. I didn't expect that, but I see it as a good thing...because we know what Dollander, Burns, and Beam can do. Those three haven't come close to hitting their stride yet, but they will. When they do, our starting rotation, combined with our elite bullpen will be, well, elite. I think our pitching in May and June will give us a huge leg up.

INFIELD: Ahuna is better than he's shown so far. Denton has been as good as (or better than) expected. Burke has slumped a little lately, but there's no question how good he and Moore are. The concern has been defense with this group. I think all have ability. I suspect that chemistry plays a role, but I do think they can and will get better defensively.

SCHEDULE: We knew the schedule wouldn't do Tennessee any favors. aTm, LSU, Florida, Arkansas, and Vanderbilt in consecutive weekends is brutal. We didn't realize what a disadvantage it would be playing Missouri when we did. a) Temps in the 20s and 30s created a ridiculous environment, and b) Missouri losing their Friday and Saturday starters AFTER playing Tennessee means Tennessee had to play a much better Missouri team than others will. That sweep really put Tennessee behind the 8-ball.

Also, Kentucky doesn't look like the pushover we thought they'd be, although I think their schedule has made them look a little better than they are. The good news is, MSU and Georgia aren't as good as projected. The sweep of aTm was huge. Getting out of Baton Rouge with 1 win was big (even though it felt like we should have won at least one of the other 2). My hope is that Tennessee can go a game over .500 combined against Florida, Arkansas, or Vanderbilt. That may sound conservative to some, but that's just a brutal stretch. Go 5-4 in those games, then maybe go 6-3 (or better) against Kentucky, MSU, and Georgia, and I'm happy. Then we try to win the South Carolina series...a tall order, but doable, especially if our starting rotation has come around by then. So I'm looking at/hoping for a 13-8 finish in the SEC. That puts us at 17-13 in the SEC. Not what we've been the last 2 years, but plenty good enough going into the postseason, given the schedule.

I'm not worried about winning the SEC this year. I'm not worried about winning the SECT, either. If we do either, great. But I'm looking at Omaha. Tennessee is presently 5th in the SEC East (which is much better than the West) and ranked in the top 10. Finish the way I hope and we're hosting a Regional. We're likely hosting a Super Regional, given the difficulty of our schedule and where we would end up ranked (both by human and computer rankings).

WHAT NEEDS TO IMPROVE:
-Base-running. No comment needed. We've all seen it. To be fair, Dickey made a great base-running play yesterday, deeking the LSU catcher into throwing behind him so he could take 3rd.

-The starting pitching. Three future first rounders and Frank Anderson aren't going to be average all season.
-Kavaris Tears will eventually get healthy. Does he become the regular DH? If so, does Dreiling take an OF spot? Or does Tears take an OF spot instead? Good problem to have.

I feel good about where this team is headed. I think yesterday was a harbinger of what is to come.

I agree with much of this. Pick your poison at catcher. Tears needs more opportunity but I guess he hasn’t earned it in the eyes of the folks who matter. In field chemistry, out field stealing the show, this weekend but jury is still out. Overall quit chirping at each other, you will lose, don’t do it.

We’re fine, swing the bats. All I got. Small body of work but LSU made our pitchers work, we may face a better group of hitters, but I would have to use my imagination at this point.

Great synopsis. Last year we had developed veterans that could pick each up if one was having a bad day hitting or pitching. Rare group. This year is a building year but will take some time to gel which hopefully explains the errors. I think by near season end that we will be 5x -10x better both on offense and defense. After last years season it was not going to be duplicated, but as this year progresses we will be close to what we were last year IMO. Time & Patience. Right now it is ok we have to learn from our mistakes and our ship will rise.

WHAT NEEDS TO IMPROVE:

Great post. I am not as familiar w this roster as last year’s, however, I am confident this team will be improve and be mentioned as a contender in late May. Going 500 will be a challenge but doable. I still won’t panic if that doesn’t occur.

Again, good post and I truly enjoy the baseball forum as everyone is civil and respectful.

Booker is an enigma and it makes CTV’s job so hard. When you see performances like yesterday, you say that’s what we’ve been banking on and know that’s what he’s capable of. So you give him another opportunity and it doesn’t show up for another 3-5 games. I personally don’t think the inconsistency can sustain this team. I’d rather have someone who goes 1-4 for 5 consecutive games than 0-4 for 4 games and 4-4 for 1 game. Same avg, same total hits but only one has an opportunity to make a positive impact on every game.

Booker is an enigma and it makes CTV’s job so hard. When you see performances like yesterday, you say that’s what we’ve been banking on and know that’s what he’s capable of. So you give him another opportunity and it doesn’t show up for another 3-5 games. I personally don’t think the inconsistency can sustain this team. I’d rather have someone who goes 1-4 for 5 consecutive games than 0-4 for 4 games and 4-4 for 1 game. Same avg, same total hits but only one has an opportunity to make a positive impact on every game.

The enigmatic part is made even more difficult to manage when you know he has all 5 tools. Games like yesterday are inevitably going to make one think he’s figured it out and will produce because he’s so capable of doing so.

WHAT NEEDS TO IMPROVE:

I’m liking this team. Clean up the fielding and we’re talking about a series win

Solid post.. pretty much sums up what most of us have seen. I did not expect us to come in and match last years squad. They were just too good and clicking from the get go last year. I did expect us to be a little more squared away though. The sloppiness they've played with at times this year has been surprising, especially baserunning. Dollander and Burns have some elite stuff but they just have not been anywhere near consistent this year. Teams are definitely more prepared for them as well. It just seems like the power pitching and high heat isn't getting past as many hitters this year. Almost seems like they're sitting on the fastball from those guys. Either way I do expect the team to continue to get better as the year goes on. This is still a very talented team and will get their shot in the post season.

With the way Burnes and Dollander are missing bats, I think advanced metrics (if college had them) would most likely show some major positive regression coming their way. I love that so many guys are getting an opportunity to show what they have, but I'd like to see us settle the lineups a bit. Very difficult atm because of the varying degrees of strengths and inconsistency, especially in the OF. I still don't believe in Scott and Booker as everyday guys (great situational players). I think it's clear Dreiling is one of our best 9 as is Tears. That leaves Booker, Griffin, and Scott battling it out for RF.

I'm not too concerned about this team. The bullpen is legit, and the rotation will smooth out. There's just no way it doesn't. We started behind the 8 ball after Mizzou, but I think this team has a good chance at Omaha still. The bats can light up instantly, just a more inconsistent team than we've been used to the past few years. Youth and transfers. Hopefully it will all mesh by the end of the year.

WHAT NEEDS TO IMPROVE:

That top 10 ranking is fixing to go next ranking release

I thihk the offense has been mostly fine outside of the Missouri series. Biggest surprise (disappointment) for me at the halfway point is the starting rotation. I’m not sure if it’s a confidence thing, scouting reports, poor performance, or all of the above and more, but I’m not sure anyone would have expected the starting rotation to be performing this poorly in SEC play to start the year. Burns has a 10.28 ERA through 3 SEC starts. Yikes. It’s weird, because I can’t really put my finger on what is wrong with the rotation. The stuff seems to be there. Velo is normal. I don’t think there are any undisclosed injuries, it’s just really weird for 3 All-American pitchers to be “slumping” at the exact same time.

I don’t think this will be a season long problem. I think all 3 guys will figure it out at some point as they are too good not to figure it out. But, for all the finger pointing to our defense (fairly) the rotation IMO is having struggles just as bad. You’d expect more from them than what we’ve gotten, but that just shows how freaking hard SEC play is.

Maybe I should just call it right here and say Tennessee finishes with the same SEC record as last year, 25-5, which means we go on to win the next 21 conference games. Actually I’m thinking winning 2 out of 3 in-conference games in the remaining series and going 14-7 the rest of the way sounds doable, making us 18-12. I think our best baseball is coming up.

I thihk the offense has been mostly fine outside of the Missouri series. Biggest surprise (disappointment) for me at the halfway point is the starting rotation. I’m not sure if it’s a confidence thing, scouting reports, poor performance, or all of the above and more, but I’m not sure anyone would have expected the starting rotation to be performing this poorly in SEC play to start the year. Burns has a 10.28 ERA through 3 SEC starts. Yikes. It’s weird, because I can’t really put my finger on what is wrong with the rotation. The stuff seems to be there. Velo is normal. I don’t think there are any undisclosed injuries, it’s just really weird for 3 All-American pitchers to be “slumping” at the exact same time.

I don’t think this will be a season long problem. I think all 3 guys will figure it out at some point as they are too good not to figure it out. But, for all the finger pointing to our defense (fairly) the rotation IMO is having struggles just as bad. You’d expect more from them than what we’ve gotten, but that just shows how freaking hard SEC play is.

Burns has this tendency to be cruising along, then get blasted. It’s odd.

Reactions: TechnoVol
Maybe I should just call it right here and say Tennessee finishes with the same SEC record as last year, 25-5, which means we go on to win the next 21 conference games. Actually I’m thinking winning 2 out of 3 in-conference games in the remaining series and going 14-7 the rest of the way sounds doable, making us 18-12. I think our best baseball is coming up.

Hope you’re right.

I bet the starters can tell you as we have evaluated Kirby’s. He has 3 earned runs. The pop up in the Bermuda Triangle that fell between 3, a full count walk then was pulled and next pitcher gave up, and the hit when we had Zane in and on the line because we thought guy was gonna bunt and ball hit 4 feet to his left then pulled and next pitcher gave up double. Era is best way to tell but also sometimes hard to judge. Fewer innings equals less room for failure.

Last edited:
We use several metrics to measure pitchers. ERA is a good indicator if there is a large enough sample size (innings). However, it is just one of many and like many stats, doesn’t tell the whole story. For a relief pitcher, we also focus on IR-A, inherited runners allowed. In other words, how many inherited runners score on a particular reliever. Many in the UT bullpen have been challenged in that area. We also break down ERA even further to recreate innings based on shifts (would singles be outs without a shift, etc). It can get technical and over the top, but it gives us better overall player grades.

ERA should rarely, if ever, be looked at for anything other than a cursory glance in my opinion. FIP and SIERA provide much better predictive value than ERA and honestly just describe a pitcher’s overall performance much better. Not sure how prevalent FIP is in the college game. SIERA is a new one for me this year

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back