Where we are with pitching for today and possibly tomorrow.

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
We know Sechrist warmed up last night and may or may not see action today. Vitello said after the game last night, "There's not a whole lot left in general so we'll attack tomorrow in a different way."

I also wasn't sure how to take his comment that "JJ (Garcia) is on our roster, maybe we'll start him."

Innings pitched so far…

Vanderbilt
Snead 2.2
Behnke 1.0
Loy 0.1
Connell 1.0
Russell 1.0
Phillips 1.0
Dallas 1.0
Garcia 1.0

Texas A&M
Stamos 3.1
Causey 4.0
Connell 1.2

Miss. State
Beam 4.2
Combs 2.1
Behnke 1.0
Connell 0.1
Snead 0.2

I think we’ll see Zander for a few innings but Tony won’t use him much. He’ll want him rested. Tony isn’t going to exert too much additional pressure on our core of guys, so I expect if we want to win the next two we’ll have to see some young, midweek guys step up.

I bet we’ll see Zander, Dallas, and Phillips today and try to save Loy for a start tomorrow, but if it’s a close one I wouldn’t be shocked to see Loy on the mound today as well.

More importantly, what is Vandy's pitching sitch? Comparably as lean as ours I assume (they have also played three games).

I wonder if he wants to keep Zander away from them early as they seemed to have his # two weeks ago? I mean honestly I would throw Zander if he is down for it.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I concur this will probably be a patch quilt game from a pitching perspective. While I simply don’t EVER want to lose to Dores in any contest, I have very little emotions tied up in today’s game. I’m fine taking our ball and going back home to sleep for two or three days. Hydrate and restore muscles. Having said that and to quote Mark Richt from “Facing the Giants” movie…”But while you're here, you might as well win it, eh?

Innings pitched so far…added pitch count

Vanderbilt PC
Snead 2.2 39
Behnke 1.0 20
Loy 0.1 8
Connell 1.0 7
Russell 1.0 22
Phillips 1.0 23
Dallas 1.0 20
Garcia 1.0 24

Texas A&M
Stamos 3.1 53
Causey 4.0 68
Connell 1.2 37

Miss. State
Beam 4.2 84
Combs 2.1 34
Behnke 1.0 13
Connell 0.1 4
Snead 0.2 10

This team is really so much better than they have been in the past years. More talented than the 2022? No, but overall deeper, calmer, and team built because of the leadership passed down from the 2022 team. Watched the KY - USC game and KY players looked worried and scared once they got down.

This team has chemistry and has shown it. The player's interviews are coherent, complimentary of their fellow players and the other team's as well. Leadership. No panic. Team Chemistry. In addition, they put together statements that is more than the "See Spot Run" comments we hear in interviews of opposing team.

Chatter will always occur on the field. Can't image what was said, but it was enough to fire us up and done so in a controlled manner. It could have been a disaster for us and would have for 90% of the teams, but it wasn't.

Burke in reply, quietly stepped up to the plate and hit a HR in a focused AB. The 2020 team would have gone into the Dugout and WTA and walked out of the dugout and said play ball.

Last edited:
Marcus Phillips really pitched his way into and out of a jam more than once tonight. He was throwing some gas but seemed to struggle with his control a little. Maybe he was just jacked due to the situation. He looks like he could be great if he can figure out how to control that stuff.

VN Store

Back