Which VFL would have made the best rugby player?

Obviously, I've been watching some Olympic rugby (sevens). Which VFL would have made the best rugby sevens player? I came up with a top 3. The tricky part is you have to have above-average tackling ability.

1. Eric Berry - rare ability to tackle and avoid tackle
2. Evan Berry - rare ability to tackle and avoid tackle
3. Jauan Jennings - physicality and able to fight through tackles

Who is your 3?

@London Vol - your thoughts on this matter?
None of those guys were/are have the type of body to play rugby imo. Certainly dog enough, fast enough, but not enough meat on their frames to be successful. Move on up to bigger guys with speed like Al Wilson, Leonard Little, guys like that imo.

Reactions: RS67SS
None of those guys were/are have the type of body to play rugby imo. Certainly dog enough, fast enough, but not enough meat on their frames to be successful. Move on up to bigger guys with speed like Al Wilson, Leonard Little, guys like that imo.

Eric Berry was 6-0 212
Evan Berry was 5-11 205
Jauan is 6-3 212

It's important to note that we are talking sevens. Here are typical height and weight ranges for these positions:

***Forwards

*Props (2 players)
Height: 5'10" to 6'2"
Weight: 200 lbs to 240 lbs

*Hooker (1 player)
Height: 5'8" to 6'0"
Weight: 190 lbs to 220 lbs

***Backs

*Scrum-half (1 player)
Height: 5'7" to 5'10"
Weight: 160 lbs to 180 lbs

*Fly-half (1 player)
Height: 5'9" to 6'1"
Weight: 170 lbs to 200 lbs

*Centers (2 players)
Height: 5'10" to 6'2"
Weight: 180 lbs to 220 lbs

*Wing/Full-back (1 player)
Height: 5'8" to 6'1"
Weight: 170 lbs to 200 lbs

I’m a big rugby fan. My first choice would be Travis Henry. Henry had a low center of gravity, great leg strength, and good speed. He was a bowling ball with battering ram capability yet evasive. Them rugby boys would have Hell trying to tackle Henry.

Idk what the best traits are, but I'd imagine some level of trench toughness, but mostly ability to catch, run, tackle...speed and toughness.

Dare I say Hurd would be top 3.

Jamal Lewis as well.

And I'll say CP just for his sheer inability to ever be touched 😅

Reactions: garyp194
I am not sure about rugby. However, If i saw Big John Henderson running towards me I think I would just crawl in the fetal position and hope he didn't want to eat me!

1722189920357.png

Think more along the line of players who look like this. He's 5'11" 249...nicknamed the Bus

Last edited:
Travis Henry would be terrific. Powerful build, fast, a nightmare to try and tackle. He made fully padded NFL linebackers wince. He was what, 5' 11'' and 235 lbs. Prototype rugby player.

Obviously, I've been watching some Olympic rugby (sevens). Which VFL would have made the best rugby sevens player? I came up with a top 3. The tricky part is you have to have above-average tackling ability.

Who is your 3?

Howard Bain, Jack Reynolds, Greg Amsler

Reactions: 37620VOL

Who is your 3?

Doug Furnas. He could bench press a car

Reactions: 37620VOL

VN Store

Back