Who are your favorite Tennessee defensive hitters of the past?

Was it Kelly Ziegler?

And Dale Jones. And Mark Hovanic And Darrin Miller. And Bryan Kimbro. And Richard Brown. And Robby Scott. And Fred Bennett. And Richard Cooper.

SI article from back in the day (I dig the "bid Bo hello" bit):

"Meanwhile, woe befell Bo. While Jackson had 181 yards in the first quarter of his goosebumpy opener against Southwestern Louisiana, he had just 29 at the same juncture against Tennessee. The Vols' defense, playing somewhere on the outskirts of consciousness, bid Bo hello at every hole, turning Auburn's offense into an I sore. No matter where Bo went on this crisp fall day, he got to see the colors change: green to orange, green to orange."

Tony Robinson's four touchdown passes and Tennessee's - 10.07.85 - SI Vault

Reactions: 4 people
And Dale Jones. And Mark Hovanic And Darrin Miller. And Bryan Kimbro. And Richard Brown. And Robby Scott. And Fred Bennett. And Richard Cooper.

SI article from back in the day (I dig the "bid Bo hello" bit):

"Meanwhile, woe befell Bo. While Jackson had 181 yards in the first quarter of his goosebumpy opener against Southwestern Louisiana, he had just 29 at the same juncture against Tennessee. The Vols' defense, playing somewhere on the outskirts of consciousness, bid Bo hello at every hole, turning Auburn's offense into an I sore. No matter where Bo went on this crisp fall day, he got to see the colors change: green to orange, green to orange."

Tony Robinson's four touchdown passes and Tennessee's - 10.07.85 - SI Vault
I guess you do have to give it to pretty much the whole defensive side of the ball that day, but man what a day, its still funny Bo took himself out of the game. Lol

Reactions: 1 person
I still remember the hit he put on that Vandy reciever in 98. When the ball came out I thought it was the dude's head for a minute.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Yeh...thought he might've killed em.

Our whole lb crew that year played like it was a cardinal sin for a team to have our damn ball.

If that's all you remember about Bill Bates, you either weren't alive during that time or you're not a UT fan.

Either way, that play sure didn't hinder Bates' long career.

Wasnt alive yet. Just giving you a hard time. I am a UT fan and always will be

I believe that, pound for pound, Eric may deserve the prize for this one. When it comes to sledgehammer tacklers from the safety position, he is the closest Tennessee has had to a Ronnie Lott or Jack Tatum.

There's some great players mentioned here. I can't argue against any of them. I would like to ask this question ten years from now and see some fresh names. If so, it will mean that we will have some great defensive players that will knock your freaking head clean off.

A couple of my favorites from the old days - Kenny Lambert and Jackie Walker. Both of them could deliver a load. And Walker played with Kiner and Hacksaw - - what a LB trio that was.

Of players I got to see the only name missing is Craig Puki - really laid people out.

GBO!

Bill Bates may not have had a great 40 time but no one ever beat him to the sideline. Seemed like he always got there just in time to lay the wood to a RB, WR, or especially a QB right before (or after) they stepped out of bounds.

But if you're keeping score, Reggie White for linemen, Al Wilson for LB and Eric Berry for DBs were the hardest hitters in recent history.

Can you say "Slobber Knocker"?????

Farragut High School baby!!!

Of players I got to see the only name missing is Craig Puki - really laid people out.

GBO!

Puki knocked the hell out of Pete Johnson in a goal line stand in the 1982 Super Bowl. He was a big reason the 49'ers beat the Bengals 26-21 in that Super Bowl.

Always liked what one of the DBs at the time said about Al Wilson, that whenever they were about to make a tackle they were halfway looking over their shouder to see where Al was because if they (the DBs) were in his way he would hit them as well, and according to them he hit like a guided missile.

VN Store

Back