Who Is The Best Player You Have Seen In Person?

Peyton Manning, Jerry Rice, Deion Sanders
Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera
Jack Nicklaus, Tiger Woods, Sam Snead, Gene Sarazen, Ben Hogan, Byron Nelson - anyone at the Masters from 1976 til now
MJ, Shaq
Dale Earnhardt, Richard Petty, Jimmie Johnson, Tony Stewart.....

So I guess the answer is Jack or MJ???

Peyton Manning, Jerry Rice, Deion Sanders
Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera
Jack Nicklaus, Tiger Woods, Sam Snead, Gene Sarazen, Ben Hogan, Byron Nelson - anyone at the Masters from 1976 til now
MJ, Shaq
Dale Earnhardt, Richard Petty, Jimmie Johnson, Tony Stewart.....

So I guess the answer is Jack or MJ???
Never saw Jack in his prime........But Tiger in 2000 and 2001 was as close to perfect as I have ever seen in person. Dude was a freaking Machine.

Reactions: tennrich1 and MAD
Great point! I agree! Probably the best athlete I've ever seen. Can't think of one better. Here's an example:
I agree as far as all around athlete, Bo is as good as they come. I would put Herschel higher though as a college football player. Case in point, that 85' game we had against Auburn, Bo basically pulled himself out cause he didn't want no more. Never saw Herschel do anything like that, dude was made of granite. He could carry it 45 times with everybody in the stadium knowing he was getting the ball and couldn't be stopped. It was like he got stronger with every carry.

Reactions: MAD
(For one play), it was defensive lineman Billy Ratliff, who made the most important defensive play in UT history. Arkansas was trying to run out the clock as they held a 24-22 lead at UT. Ratliff pushed back the Arky center and the center backpedaled into Clint Stoerner, the Arky QB, who subsequently stumbled and left the ball on the field as he tried to balance himself upright. Ratliff pounced on the ball and The Volunteers perfect undefeated season was preserved, as the Offense did their job and went ahead and scored. I was in the seats of that miserable weather game and anyone who was there will remember the eerily quietness that fell upon Shields Watkins Field when Stoerner placed the ball on the field. Time stood still, then Billy POUNCED us into a NC.

My first game Vol game ever !!

Reactions: ENGRVOL and MAD
I’ve seen Champ Bailey and Peyton Manning play in person. Two of the best ever at their positions, so the best I can remember seeing in person. I don’t attend games like I did in high school, college, and in my 20s. TVs have been awesome for awhile now. I’d rather watch with friends and cook and drink ext…. And not have to deal with crowds. Lol, maybe I’m just starting to get old.

Best football players: Peyton Manning, offense and Reggie White, defense. The greatest athlete to ever play football at Tennessee was Carl Pickens.

Based on his life in sports, I'd say Bo Jackson......but, the Vols made him quit and go sit down the one time I saw him play in person.....Neyland Stadium 1985, so, .......

As much as I hate Alabama, I think the best pure athlete I ever saw in person was Johnny Musso. I watched him in a tear away jersey terrorize Vanderbilt. I am sure I have seen better athletes, but not on that day.

Another freak of nature was Willie Gault. He could outrun gossip in a small town.

Nice thread for thought. Different positions and sports carry different weight for different fans. Never saw him in person, but for his time Earl Campbell was so tuff, so fast, and so strong.

Reactions: TNVOLFN and MAD
Best players ever seen in person: Joe Namath, Ken Stabler, Ray Lewis
Best Tennessee players in person: Larry Seivers, Bobby Majors, Conredge Holloway, Steve Kiner, Hacksaw Reynolds, Willie Gault

I also saw Bo Jackson in person playing baseball for the KC Royals.

Peyton Manning
Marvin Harrison
Edgerrin James
Dwight Freeney

Pure magic.

My chances to see the Vols in person have been limited, but the best I've seen in person was either Andy Kelly or Chuck Webb in the Disneyland Pigskin Classic. For other sports outside UT football, watching Nolan Ryan pitch in person as a kid was pretty amazing. The best sporting event I've seen in person though was LMU vs. Michigan in the NCAA tournament. Made even better by the fact I got paid to see the highest scoring game in tournament history.

I saw Joe Montana when he was at Norte Dame. Charles White, Ronnie Lott and Ron Yeary when they were at USC at the LA Colosseum. Condredge Holloway and Stanley Morgan at Neyland. Stanley Morgan was running 4.3 40’s when nobody else was.
Saw Joe Montana with the Chiefs play the Raiders in the Colosseum. The biggest cheer of the day was when he got hurt while being sacked. Saw 2 big fights and one big brawl in the stands at that game, somehow made it out alive and unscathed.

VN Store

Back