Who should be the next 2 or 6 SEC Teams

HuntlandVolinColo

Rocky Top High Colorado
I believe most conferences are locked down for a while with higher exit fees but I would like to see the SEC get either two or six more teams. Then they could have two extra revenue generating games. But that could hurt (or help) an SEC team attempting to enter the big 4 playoff scheme.

Then we could have either four 4-team divisions or 4 5-team divisions.

There are two ways to do this one is to load up with more Southeastern/Southern teams. The other is to go to new markets that don't have an SEC team such as NC, VA, OK, etc. I think that is the prefered method because more TV markets means more revenue.

For two more teams I would like:

NC and VT but NC and Duke are tied at the hip, so maybe NCST and VT. This would allow Missouri to move to a more Western Division.

Smokies:
UT
VT
NC or NSTU
KY

Swamp:
FL
GA
SC
VY

Delta:
Aub
AL
Ole Miss
Miss St

Ozark:
TAM
LSU
MO
Ark

Swamp would be a tough one Bama would do fine, TN ok.
I suppose you could swap out SC for KY to balance.

For 20 teams:

Smokies:
TN
VT
NC or NCST
KY
WV

Swamp:
FL
GA
SC
Clemson or Miami
VY

Bayou:
Aub
AL
Ole Miss
Miss St.
LSU

Ozark:
MO
ARk
OK
OSU or KSU
TAM

What do yaw think?

I believe most conferences are locked down for a while with higher exit fees but I would like to see the SEC get either two or six more teams. Then they could have two extra revenue generating games. But that could hurt (or help) an SEC team attempting to enter the big 4 playoff scheme.

There are two ways to do this one is to load up with more Southeastern/Southern teams. The other is to go to new markets that don't have an SEC team such as NC, VA, OK, etc. I think that is the prefered method because more TV markets means more revenue.

NC and VT but NC and Duke are tied at the hip, so maybe NCST and VT. This would allow Missouri to move to a more Western Division.

Smokies:
UT
VT
NC or NSTU
KY

Swamp:
FL
GA
SC
VY

Delta:
Aub
AL
Ole Miss
Miss St

Ozark:
TAM
LSU
MO
Ark

For 20 teams:

Smokies:
TN
VT
NC or NCST
KY
WV

Swamp:
FL
GA
SC
Clemson or Miami
VY

Bayou:
Aub
AL
Ole Miss
Miss St.
LSU

Ozark:
MO
ARk
OK
OSU or KSU
TAM

What do yaw think?

Why not just let the PAC 16 join and we could call one side PAC 16 and the other side SEC?

They're locked down because of grant of (media) rights agreements through 2025/2026-27, not higher exit fees.

Smokies:
UT
VT
NC or NSTU
KY

Swamp:
FL
GA
SC
VY

Delta:
Aub
AL
Ole Miss
Miss St

Ozark:
TAM
LSU
MO
Ark

For 20 teams:

Smokies:
TN
VT
NC or NCST
KY
WV

Swamp:
FL
GA
SC
Clemson or Miami
VY

Bayou:
Aub
AL
Ole Miss
Miss St.
LSU

Ozark:
MO
ARk
OK
OSU or KSU
TAM

What do yaw think?

With the S.E.C. having (x) amount of money divided by 14 universities, they are all making a good share of money. However; to add 2 more universities to the S.E.C. but NOT add more revenue, would mean that each university would get less money because (x) is now divided by 16 universities and not 14 universities.

So, in order to gain more revenue, they will need to hit a t.v. market. Such as Houston, Texas A & M, or St. Louis, University of Missouri.

So, to me, the larger markets that remain would be Los Angeles, but for UCLA or USC to join the S.E.C. would be too much travel costs.

Another t.v. market would be New York, with Syracuse.
Again, the travel costs would be added to each team.

Another t.v. market would be the D.C./Virginia area or the Raleigh/Durham N.C. area.

So, I would suspect that that the D.C./Virginia area or the Raleigh/Durham area would be the likely choice.

Clemson, Florida State, Louisville, Southern Miss and Virginia Tech would NOT add many more viewers to the t.v. market, so those universities are eliminated.

I am sure that USC would complain about Clemson joining the S.E.C. because it would affect their recruiting against another S.E.C. university.

Also, Florida would complain about FSU or Miami joining.
Kentucky woulld complain about Louisville joining. Ole Piss would complain about Southern Miss joining.

The SEC is plenty big enough as is. If they add too many more teams, they'll have to eliminate cross divisional games all together, which would be ridiculous.

Reactions: 5 people
I believe the easiest/most lucrative TV markets would be NC/NCST: Research Triangle, Charlotte, Wilmington, etc and VT: Richmond, DC, Norfolk.

Or you could add in Maryland which just went to the big10 to also add Baltimore to TV markets. WV might also open up Southern Ohio, Pittsburg and VA. Ok would add Ok City and Tulsa. KSU would open up all of Kansas not just KC. And Miami would open up South Florida (honestly, I don't know how much coverage the gators get down there).

That pretty much stretches the bounds of the SEC without getting ridculous (PA, WI, IA, NY, AZ, etc). Maybe we will just have to wait for the NCAA to go to a 16 or 32 team playoff setup, say in 20 years.

No one.....I'm still mad that Mizzoo and A&M were invited in.

They aren't southern teams, what about SOUTH eastern conference do you not get?

But hey!!! Screw tradition , mo money right?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I already know how this thread is going to go. One guy is going to name his dream line up based on competition. Someone else is going to quote him and say that it will never happen because of TV markets. A third guy will argue that Tennessee's recruiting will be hurt and so the SEC shouldn't do it. And finally a fourth guy will take an opposing view to the recruiting argument by saying that when water is added all the boats raise up.

Reactions: 3 people
NC will never leave ACC. They are a basketball school. They won't abandon their rivalry with Duke.

I agree NC & Duke are tied at the hip. That would have to be a package deal. But NCST could leave just to get more respect from their Research Triangle mates.

In a perfect world, the FBS would be divided into two 64 team divisions with the SEC, ACC, Big10 and PAC12 each getting 16 teams in 4 team conferences. Then it would be easy to determine who goes to the Big 4 playoffs. And each team wouldn't be allowed to play more than two lessor FCS type teams a year.

The second 64 team division would have their own championship and would serve a farm league for the top league. It would be like the SEC/ACC/Big10/PAC12 farm teams. And every other year I would allow up to 1 or 2 of the poorest teams in the top league to get demoted and replaced by the best performing farm teams. For example, Indiana and Kansas football get demoted and Northern Illinois and Tulsa replaces them.

Oh well, at least we are expanding the playoffs by two teams after next season.

And while I'm on my rant, I think NFL and NCAA Football should be played consecutively, not concurrently. NCAA Football September-February, NFL March-August. Then we could have football year round!

You are in for a hard life. That isn't how things are done any longer. You can fuss and fume over it, but it won't change anything.

I don't mind non traditional teams joining as long as it adds something to the SEC. I believe TXAM added quite a bit. Mizzou just added television sets.

Not southern? Maybe Mizzou fits this, but they are still about as southern as UK. Texas was Confederate - East Texas is very southern ands lots of students from there go to A&M.

I believe that we go to 16 and then see some stasis for awhile. I would like to see NCSt and VT. Two new markets and both big.

Additionally, even at 14 teams we are beginning to see the rumblings of destroying rivalries for the sack of $$. Basketball is already feeling it.

VN Store

Back