Who was misled?

The levees breached in two main areas -- one was poor (9th ward area) and one was middle class. The victims (deaths) were relatively evenly distributed as well.

I don't think economic status determined the breaches. I think a lack of attention on a levee all knew was questionable was the cause. The ACE has promised to upgrade this whole system of levees for years. Congress has sent the funding before but usually diverts subsequent funds on pork projects.

I don't think economic status determined the breaches. I think a lack of attention on a levee all knew was questionable was the cause. The ACE has promised to upgrade this whole system of levees for years. Congress has sent the funding before but usually diverts subsequent funds on pork projects.

all i'm saying is, the rich had a lot of influence on where the money went that was received after the gov't cut the budget

A bridge to no where in AK is a good example. Or a peanut statue in south GA. Or a lab to study the mating habits of worms. Citizens Against Government Waste is a great group that digs up these little nuggets. You'll trust your government and their appropriating of your tax dollars.

But the facts don't necessarily bare that out. The 9th ward received the bulk of the media attention.

The comparison showed that 42 percent of the bodies found in Orleans and St. Bernard parishes were recovered in neighborhoods with poverty rates higher than 30 percent. That's only slightly higher than the 39 percent of residents who lived in such neighborhoods, according to the census data.
Similarly, 31 percent of the bodies turned up in areas with poverty rates below 15 percent, where 30 percent of the population lived.

Early data challenge assumptions about Katrina victims

A bridge to no where in AK is a good example. Or a peanut statue in south GA. Or a lab to study the mating habits of worms. Citizens Against Government Waste is a great group that digs up these little nuggets. You'll trust your government and their appropriating of your tax dollars.

but where would this country be without the people that made it what it is today, the [SIZE=-1]helminthologists.[/SIZE]

But the facts don't necessarily bare that out. The 9th ward received the bulk of the media attention.

Early data challenge assumptions about Katrina victims

i'd venture to say that most of them were still poor. the poor people would have a much harder time getting out of town. even if the poverty level is less that 15% in an area, that doesn't mean that the poor people didn't make up a good portion of the percentage that died. just because they weren't below this "poverty line" doesn't mean they were well off by any stretch.

The two factors most related to deaths are:

1) Age

2) Proximity to levee breach

Levees breached in more than just poor neighborhoods. More than just poor people died.

Blaming this on the rich or the unfair advantages of the rich is simply wrong and not supported by the facts.

The two factors most related to deaths are:

1) Age

2) Proximity to levee breach

Levees breached in more than just poor neighborhoods. More than just poor people died.

Blaming this on the rich or the unfair advantages of the rich is simply wrong and not supported by the facts.

i'm not blaming it on the rich, i am only saying that, the people with less money were at a greater disadvantage, with or without warning. it's hard to leave when you have nowhere to go.

Early statements suggested that the rich had money diverted their way to protect the levees, etc.

This was a disaster that didn't see wealth or color - it struck were conditions were best or defenses were weakest.

Well-to-do and poor suffered and died.

Early statements suggested that the rich had money diverted their way to protect the levees, etc.

This was a disaster that didn't see wealth or color - it struck were conditions were best or defenses were weakest.

Well-to-do and poor suffered and died.

oh i honestly believe that the money was diverted their way, it doesn't mean that it is their fault though.

Media attention goes wherever the story is.....a bunch of rich white folks' empty houses is not a news story....the 9th ward was....

VN Store

Back