Wholl have the more EXCITING Offense?

Whose offense will be the more potent?

• Total voters

OldVol

I believe Spurrier's offense will be more potent than Florida's. Talent notwithstanding, I believe Spurrier has a proven system at this level and will have enough talent to give teams more of a challenge than Florida.

By exciting, I do mean better.

Originally posted by OldVol@Jul 5, 2005 1:58 PM
I believe Spurrier's offense will be more potent than Florida's. Talent notwithstanding, I believe Spurrier has a proven system at this level and will have enough talent to give teams more of a challenge than Florida.

By exciting, I do mean better.
[snapback]110412[/snapback]​

Im going with Myers simply because its new, and he has more talent. Spurriers on the other hand will be exciting but may look Brutal at times given the amount of ass suckers he has on his team.

The talent Spurrier is dealing with in Columbia is laughable. I honestly believe Vanderbilt's offense will be better than South Carolina's. I will be suprised if the Cocks average anything much over 300/325 yards per game offense.

Florida is a completely different case, however. The option style we think Meyer will run will probably suffer against teams with superior d-lines like us and LSU, but I also believe the Gators will probably crush lesser defenses. Meyer has enough talent where he's at to just run over most defenses.

Style-wise, I think Spurrier's run-and-gun works better in the SEC, but he simply has no talent to make anything happen. Meyer's style should be dominant against teams with weak D, but should be rendered somewhat ineffective by the top 30 or so D's in the country.

Sorry, but I'm not sure that the Gamecocks will even HAVE an offense to speak of.

Originally posted by U-T@Jul 5, 2005 2:42 PM
3-4 years? Spurrier
[snapback]110422[/snapback]​

My guess is that the only offense Spurrier will have in 4 years will involve striking a Titleist with a titanium driver.

My guess would be Florida will be the better offense at least right away. I mean I heard Visor Boy was shopping the local waffle house for RB's. So IMO, Meyer should be better set up, but maybe in 3-4 years SOS will be a little better set up to compare with them.

Originally posted by kiddiedoc@Jul 5, 2005 2:52 PM
My guess is that the only offense Spurrier will have in 4 years will involve striking a Titleist with a titanium driver.
[snapback]110423[/snapback]​

He wont give in that easy.

4 years? I could see it.

I give him 5 max

IMO, Meyer will have better results, Im not so clear about his O' mind.
Whats so different? Option is just that, an Option. Meyers was left quite abit better talent to boot.

SOS will hand out game balls to his punter, on a weekly basis.
There's no way he'll figure out a way to spell CitruS even with SC.

Originally posted by volinbham@Jul 5, 2005 6:15 PM
Unless Spurrier puts himself in at QB, SC has nothing.  No contest next year.
[snapback]110460[/snapback]​

Folks, you forget that Spurrier had little better talent when he first went to Florida than he does at SC, if at all. We need to also remember that he won at Duke. Duke! For crying out loud. Don't underestimate him.

Meyer on the other hand must yet prove his worth.

Good points. But he was also 5-6 his first year at Duke before the ACC was very good. Then his first year at Florida, he went 9-2, but was still 2-2 against opponnents that were any good. He beat Miss State and Auburn in Gainesville but lost to us and Florida State on the road.

Spurrier has done decent in his first years at both schools, but with easy schedules. His schedule is pretty brutal this year, and I would really be suprised if he gets to .500.

Later on down the road, however, if he gets Gamecock recruiting in order, he could challenge for the SEC East in a couple years. For now, Meyer should fare better, but Spur will be better in the long run.

Spurriers offense will be more exciting..the timing fade routs to the sideline...drawing up plays in the dirt..the man is an offensive genius. Problem is it'll take a couple yrs to get his type of players in for his system.

Absolutely without a doubt Steve-O's will be more exciting, if for anything than just to watch running backs that were converted to quarterbacks try to lead one of the most timing dependant gameplans in major college football.

It won't put up the numbers that Meyer's will, but it will be more exciting because you'll never know what to expect next (and neither will Steve-O).

Originally posted by OldVol@Jul 5, 2005 6:20 PM
Folks, you forget that Spurrier had little better talent when he first went to Florida than he does at SC, if at all. We need to also remember that he won at Duke. Duke! For crying out loud. Don't underestimate him.

[snapback]110461[/snapback]​

That's exactly what I was thinking. I'm keeping my preseason words pretty soft in the event that I have to eat them later.

:matrix:

Meyer on the other hand must yet prove his worth.
[snapback]110461[/snapback]​

Didn't Spurrier have Shane Matthews when he got to UF. Isn't Matthews still kicking around in the NFL?

I don't doubt SOS's offensive prowess - I just don't see him doing it NEXT year with the talent (Lack of) at SC. They lost so many players. I doubt his early Duke team would have won 5 games in the SEC.

On the other hand, UF has a proven QB, RB and WR's. I have no doubt that Meyer can out offensive coach Ron Zook.

Now if by exciting you mean unpredictable, then I might be persuaded to go with Spurrier.

To me, more exciting offenses mean bigger numbers...

Although my favorite games to watch are all-out defensive grinders, like 6-3 type games.

Folks, you forget that Spurrier had little better talent when he first went to Florida than he does at SC, if at all.

Incorrect. He had a team that had been to 3 consecutive bowl games and Spurrier in a latest interview with the State said he had more talent at UF then he does at USC his first year

I am a little shocked to see the comments on the talent at SC. Understand we are not a power house... But I hope your team has the same outlook on us as many of your posters do..... Seems like with the "suck arse" players we have, that we have managed to make games very close with UT..... hope we take it up a notch this year.... Good luck and am waiting to come back and enjoy the BarBQ at Calhouns by the River.....

Originally posted by Conwaycock@Jul 6, 2005 10:09 AM
I am a little shocked to see the comments on the talent at SC.  Understand we are not a power house...  But I hope your team has the same outlook on us as many of your posters do.....  Seems like with the "suck arse" players we have, that we have managed to make games very close with UT..... hope we take it up a notch this year.... Good luck and am waiting to come back and enjoy the BarBQ at Calhouns by the River.....
[snapback]110563[/snapback]​

It's more a matter of the number of players lost at key offensive positions that I'm referring to. USC was not exactly an offensive powerhouse last year (I know that Lou isn't a big numbers guy). Did you not lose your QB and several RB's due to discipline problems or grades?

Talent is relative. I doubt you'd argue that on paper at least, UF is in much better shape offensively than USC.

I agree that you have played UT very close over the years but last year so did Bama, UK, ND and Vandy - none of which were offensive powerhouses!

So, I'm not saying USC has "suck arse" players, just that in comparing the potential offense of UF to USC, I've got to go with UF.

I hope SOS can get it together for 10 games next year :p

Welcome to the board :wavey:

Originally posted by Conwaycock@Jul 6, 2005 10:09 AM
Seems like with the "suck arse" players we have, that we have managed to make games very close with UT

So what? You also almost lost to Kentucky and other crappy teams and have a horrible record the last few years.

You lost your best upfront defensive player and have no QB with experience, no starting RB, best WR gone, and an OL with two good players....thats it.

USC will suck next year

Originally posted by U-T@Jul 5, 2005 11:26 PM
Incorrect. He had a team that had been to 3 consecutive bowl games and Spurrier in a latest interview with the State said he had more talent at UF then he does at USC his first year
[snapback]110510[/snapback]​

Well, yeah, but how did they get there? The 87 team went to a bowl with a 6/5 record with three of those wins coming over Temple, Fullerton St., and Tulsa. It wasn't much better in the next two years with consecutive 6/5 and 7/4 teams with wins over non I A Indiana St. and Montana St. Those 3 bowl teams had only 11 wins over SEC teams, and 8 of those wins were over Kentucky, Vandy, Miss, and Miss St.

They even lost to Vandy one of those bowl seasons.

I'll say again, the talent level between the two are not that far apart, if any.

People will take Spurrier for granted at their peril.

Originally posted by milohimself@Jul 5, 2005 6:42 PM
Good points. But he was also 5-6 his first year at Duke before the ACC was very good. Then his first year at Florida, he went 9-2, but was still 2-2 against opponnents that were any good. He beat Miss State and Auburn in Gainesville but lost to us and Florida State on the road.

Spurrier has done decent in his first years at both schools, but with easy schedules. His schedule is pretty brutal this year, and I would really be suprised if he gets to .500.

Later on down the road, however, if he gets Gamecock recruiting in order, he could challenge for the SEC East in a couple years. For now, Meyer should fare better, but Spur will be better in the long run.
[snapback]110464[/snapback]​

When you consider it was Duke, 5/6 was actually quite an improvement.

Duke regularly had 2 and 3 win seasons before and after Spurrier. They have an occasional bowl team about every 12 seasons or so. With Spurrier, they progressed each year and actually had some quality wins over a 10/2 Clemson and, Yikes! he beat us too in 88.

The year after he left, Duke had 4 wins.

He is a guy who'll have to be reckoned with.

VN Store

Back