Who's your quarterback?

TucsonVol

Anytime a head coach has to wait until the week before a season starts to name a starting quarterback, then he probably does not have a great quarterback.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Anytime a head coach has to wait until the week before a season starts to name a starting quarterback probably does not have a great quarterback.

Few QBs are great. Now, CBJ on the other hand really understands what's he doing and saying. he wants player, QB and otherwise who is a consistent playmaker.
The QBs have apparently not shown him which among them performs in that manner.

Thus Worley will be named the started by default of experience and adequate camp.

great? Probably not but he could have been dragging it out just to see how each would react. We have a bunch of young guys fighting and being out of the starting job early in the process could have produced some bad habits.

I just don't think there was very much separation between the 4

I will support the one the coaches select. This seems to be a great staff and I trust they will pick the right guy. Competition is a good thing and I'm glad we have it. I'm not sure if its a "who can do it because they all are not ready" or if it is a "who can do it best because they all are that good" kind of thing though.

I am pulling for Ferguson to win it though. I have to pull for any recruit from my home state.

Whoever is the answer I hope they play their butt off.

Few QBs are great. Now, CBJ on the other hand really understands what's he doing and saying. he wants player, QB and otherwise who is a consistent playmaker.
The QBs have apparently not shown him which among them performs in that manner.

Thus Worley will be named the started by default of experience and adequate camp.

Why does everyone think it was a "default" decision? Worley came into camp as the frontrunner but CBJ wanted to give everyone a shot to try to take the job from him. Despite the fact that all had good camps and all had some high points, Worley continued to show that he understands the O, that he knows how to lead the team, and that he is the go to guy.

Quit trying to make it a negative.

Reactions: 6 people
In my posting, I intentionally did not mention our Vols. This situation could be in professional football or in the college ranks.

Anytime a head coach has to wait until the week before a season starts to name a starting quarterback he probably does not have a great quarterback.

Are you just now figuring out that the QB is a big question mark right now?

?

I still believe that the staff kept the competition going this long to bring out the best in all of the qb's. I think it has been Worley all along. I could be wrong and am comforted in the knowledge that some of you experts will point it out.

Reactions: 2 people
The tougher guess is which of the three freshmen will transfer before Spring semester. My guess would be Dobbs.

The tougher guess is which of the three freshmen will transfer before Spring semester. My guess would be Dobbs.

From what I have read about Dobbs, I think he might care more about his education than playing football. So, I doubt that he transfers.

My quarterback is whichever guy Butch Jones trots out there. I hope we can all get behind CBJ's decision making and leave some of the previous negativity in the past with Dooley.

that-s-my-quarterback-o.gif

Reactions: 2 people
Anytime a head coach has to wait until the week before a season starts to name a starting quarterback he probably does not have a great quarterback.

My guess is it is useless to point out how ridiculous and false this argument is again... but I am a glutton for punishment.

Shuler and Colquitt competed in camp before Shuler emerged the starter.

In his great UF years, Spurrier fostered on-going QB battles that never ended.

USCe has a QB competition that will extend into the season.

If it were worth the time and so many weren't convinced that a real competition that runs its course EXACTLY as Jones said it would 5 or 6 months ago was some kind of indication that UT's QB situation was a disaster.... then I would go back and find numerous examples of good and even great QB's who didn't win the job until the end of fall camp or even later.

BTW, I do not know what UT has at QB.... but do know that the OP's premise is false.

We have coach Jones selecting the QB and then we have the VN QB.....this should be fun.

We have coach Jones selecting the QB and then we have the VN QB.....this should be fun.

Don't you know that the experts here are better at evaluating QB's based on random practice observations and media comments than Jones is based on intense study of every single play and play subpart since spring ball started?

Here's a quote from Bleacher Report....."The 6'4", 222-pound Worley is the only member of the group who has game experience and is the favorite to win the job. In his first two seasons as a reserve, he has thrown one touchdown pass and five interceptions while amassing 738 yards through the air. Not exactly stellar."

Justin Worley will be a great QB for the TN Vols this year. If he gets hurt, I expect to see Nathan Peterman to take the reins & keep the team going forward. GBO!!!

VN Store

Back