Why do USC fans smack talk to us? Honestly....

Here's an interesting twist: does anybody think that the prospect of Jimmy Clausen will have an impact on the decision making regarding Rick and the starting job? Or, at least, playing time?

Maybe it's unrealistic to some, but YOU KNOW it's in the back of somebody's mind that keeping the Clausens happy would be a good thing.

We may not get Jimmy, but I'm almost certain he won't go to SC.

I think he's flattered by the attention of Spurrier.

I also think when opposing coaches start reminding him that the 05 Gamecocks will be the 6th group of senior in the last 20 years who have left Columbia with no championship rings, no bowl jackets or rings, and nothing to show for their 4 years in school but the items they carried out of the athletic department, it might add for a real dose of reality.

Hot shot QBs like to be in BCS bowls in January, not in Shreveport, Louisiana. And that's a great year for SC. Only 4 teams in the last 20 years went bowling.

Put that in your recruiting hospitality basket and smoke it.

Originally posted by kiddiedoc@Aug 19, 2005 11:31 AM
Here's an interesting twist:  does anybody think that the prospect of Jimmy Clausen will have an impact on the decision making regarding Rick and the starting job?  Or, at least, playing time?

Maybe it's unrealistic to some, but YOU KNOW it's in the back of somebody's mind that keeping the Clausens happy would be a good thing.
[snapback]128236[/snapback]​

I've been wondering that myself for a while... Fortunately Rick is a team guy whose aspirations are coaching rather than playing in the NFL. But if that type of issue is being considered, it probably won't last any further than giving him the fairest shake possible through fall practice.

Also, Fulmer proved with the Leaks that he won't mix playing time with recruiting.

Originally posted by kiddiedoc@Aug 19, 2005 11:31 AM
Here's an interesting twist:  does anybody think that the prospect of Jimmy Clausen will have an impact on the decision making regarding Rick and the starting job?  Or, at least, playing time?

I look at the Leak situation and say NO - I think CPF is going to do what he can to win games and he will play the person that gives us the best chance to win.

Originally posted by Vol 4 Life@Aug 19, 2005 11:55 AM
I've been wondering that myself for a while...  Fortunately Rick is a team guy whose aspirations are coaching rather than playing in the NFL.  But if that type of issue is being considered, it probably won't last any further than giving him the fairest shake possible through fall practice.

Also, Fulmer proved with the Leaks that he won't mix playing time with recruiting.
[snapback]128252[/snapback]​

Man you are fast!!

Originally posted by VOLracerx@Aug 19, 2005 12:56 PM
I look at the Leak situation and say NO -
[snapback]128253[/snapback]​

Bingo! No way we're going to let the whim of a 16-17 year old have any impact whatsoever on personnel decisions. You can only play/coach for today.

Originally posted by U-T@Aug 19, 2005 11:41 AM
Orange, I don't want Jimmy going anywhere but UT.

He is one of the most talented QB's in HS that I have ever seen
[snapback]128218[/snapback]​

I agree. I just sated the opinion that we won't get him because our QB situation is so strong. Two years from now, when he is being recruited, UT will have Crompton vying to start. Crompton will have red shirted one year, and played backup for one year, giving him two years to learn the system. Add to this that Ainge will still be the starter and getting the playing time.

Clausen will go somewhere else unless something unforseen happens. That's just how it looks to play out.

Remember the good ole days when it was just a given that almost all freshmen were going to ride the pine and none of the recruits had much if any expectation of getting on the field during that first year???

Originally posted by GAVol@Aug 19, 2005 1:24 PM
Remember the good ole days when it was just a given that almost all freshmen were going to ride the pine and none of the recruits had much if any expectation of getting on the field during that first year???
[snapback]128269[/snapback]​

Amen brother. Used to be the recruits kissed a little *** to get a scholarship. Now they expect the programs to pucker up. Crazy, I tellya...

Originally posted by GAVol@Aug 19, 2005 10:24 AM
[snapback]128269[/snapback]​

They usually still do, from what I see... It's just those few that are exceptional enough to start as soon as they set foot on campus. Jimmy will be one of those talents.

Originally posted by kiddiedoc@Aug 19, 2005 9:31 AM

I think it would help equally if Fulmer offered Rick a somewhat high-level coaching job after this season.

Originally posted by milohimself@Aug 19, 2005 2:55 PM
They usually still do, from what I see... It's just those few that are exceptional enough to start as soon as they set foot on campus. Jimmy will be one of those talents.
[snapback]128303[/snapback]​

True, but they all THINK that they should see early action.

Originally posted by milohimself@Aug 19, 2005 2:18 AM
They could land him. He's got two more years before he graduates, add to that a year or two at most riding the bench if he goes. Steve could have the program turned around by then, if he pulls it off.
[snapback]128169[/snapback]​

Consider this possibility. If the NCAA "clouds-up and rains all over" the Gamecooks (which is a distinct possibility), what will happen to the Old Visor Coach when he has only 15-18 scholarships to offer. :banghead: Those possible sanctions could also limit TV and Bowl Appearances and take the Old Visor Coach completely out of the limelight. :good: Can't imagine what it would be not seeing him have his prepubescent temper fits on national television. :devilsmoke: :dunno:

What Top Prospect would want to take a chance on a school facing sanctions? Those Prospects want a school that will provide significant TV Exposure to promote their Pro Careers.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

That was a bit harsh. I'm not really a Spurrier fan by any stretch, but I do respect him greatly as a college coach. I don't think it's cool or funny that he's got to deal with these sanctions; The fact is that Holtz drew the heat from the NCAA and now Spurrier is having to take it. It's a damn unfortunate situation, and I wish that South Carolina, as well as every other team in the country (including Bama) could just play it straight. Stevie boy may be a loudmouth, but at least he's a clean coach.

Originally posted by milohimself@Aug 19, 2005 3:58 PM
That was a bit harsh. I'm not really a Spurrier fan by any stretch, but I do respect him greatly as a college coach. I don't think it's cool or funny that he's got to deal with these sanctions; The fact is that Holtz drew the heat from the NCAA and now Spurrier is having to take it. It's a damn unfortunate situation, and I wish that South Carolina, as well as every other team in the country (including Bama) could just play it straight. Stevie boy may be a loudmouth, but at least he's a clean coach.
[snapback]128347[/snapback]​

Then you don't know Spurrier. Personally I find it fitting that he has fallen to the bottom of a league that he once thought he was better than. He has been coaching long enough to know Lou was dirty. He had to have some insight into what was going on.

Originally posted by milohimself@Aug 19, 2005 1:56 PM
I think it would help equally if Fulmer offered Rick a somewhat high-level coaching job after this season.
[snapback]128304[/snapback]​

I agree, very good point.

Originally posted by milohimself@Aug 19, 2005 4:58 PM
[snapback]128347[/snapback]​

Sorry if you thought my comments "a bit harsh". Instead of "prepubescent", I could had said "childish" or "spoiled-brat-like". Maybe that would not have been interpreted as harsh.

:angel: :angel: :angel:

Originally posted by utvolpj@Aug 19, 2005 5:36 PM
Then you don't know Spurrier.  Personally I find it fitting that he has fallen to the bottom of a league that he once thought he was better than.  He has been coaching long enough to know Lou was dirty.  He had to have some insight into what was going on.
[snapback]128378[/snapback]​

If Steve didn't know Lou 'could' play dirty, then he hasn't been paying attention.

Just ask the folks at Arkansas, Minnesota, and ND.

They could have given the Ole Ball Coach a heads-up in the "There May Be Sanctions Coming Your Way" department.

Originally posted by KYVolFan@Aug 20, 2005 7:23 AM
Sorry if you thought my comments "a bit harsh".  Instead of "prepubescent", I could had said "childish" or "spoiled-brat-like".  Maybe that would not have been interpreted as harsh.

:angel:  :angel:  :angel:
[snapback]128693[/snapback]​

Any way you spin it, the fact is that Holtz created the situation at South Carolina, and I don't think any of us are to say with any degree of certainty that Spurrier knew what he was getting into. I think it's kind of ridiculous to be wishing that kind of crap on anybody. I would rather the Vols take out South Carolina while Stevie can get his team to full strength rather than have a helping hand because of sanctions.

Holtz created nothing, imo.

He kept USC at a horrible level and won nothing.

I think he had a helping hand in bringing Spurrier but I think old Steve would have gone to USC anyway

I have read some in the media claim that Loltz brought in a lot of talent, but I can't remember any of that talent providing results equal to the talent some say he recruited. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Am I wrong or did Holtz not leave a trail from school to school with some questionable recruiting tactics? :nono: :dunno:

If you want to know what someone is likely to do, just look back and see what he has done! History does repeat itself. :good:

:cool: :cool: :cool:

In the immortal words of John Ward: "Give him six"

Which brings up an interesting point not explicity discussed on this thread. Why does SC always stink? They have at least as good if not better in state talent when compared to us, pretty good resources as far as alumni and $. I guess the two disadvantages when compared to us are another good in state program (Clemson) and no history of winning.

VN Store

Back