Why is Eric Berry not brought up more with the Vol greats?

1)Eric Berry

2)everyone else

Respectfully
Did you see Dale Carter play? It’s a serious question.

I did not see Carter play but was listening to a podcast comparing the two and they said it’s close.

Did you see Dale Carter play? It’s a serious question.

I did not see Carter play but was listening to a podcast comparing the two and they said it’s close.
I didn't but Eric Berry had 14 INTs and 494 return yds, on top of being hard hitter. I'm pretty sure he's also the only UT player to win the Jim Thorpe Award and he was pretty much the heart and soul of the team.

No disrespect to Dale Carter. I just believe Berry is in a class of his own.

Reactions: VeryBest
Let's rock with George Cafego.. He played QB-RB-FB and also returned kicks and punts. He was Number one pick in the Draft.

But as pointed out above Evan Berry and Willie Gault were also better athletes but the best overall was Alvin Kamara. He did less on special teams because he got heavy snaps as a RB. He also was a better receiver than CP lol.

When I was in college at TSU in the early 90's we had seriously two 7 footers with PG skills. I don't even remember their names one was from Memphis the other was from out of state. Neither of them ever made it off the spades table in freshman dorms first semester. The saying was always there is a Micheal Jordan on every corner. It does not matter how physically gifted one is if they don't have the intelligence and discipline to apply it. CP always has been a huge waste of athleticism because that's all he ever had. He has been unable to ever learn and contribute as an actual skill position player. His whole career was built on raw ability. 11 years in the NFL and still cant run routes he has average 27 receptions and 46 carries a year. He is an amazing returner. Easily the best in NFL history statistically but one thing people have to remember is he got those chances because he played on bad teams. He has almost as many career kickreturns as he has receptions. Teams have tried to use him at WR and RB and it hasn't worked out his career avg reception is 9.4 yards. Trust me there were way better athletes than CP at UT over time those guys just ended up playing skill positions on better teams that didn't want to waste them on special teams.

CP is a one-trick pony. He is really shifty and fast....but has bad hands can't run routes and fumbles a lot. Also never translated that shiftiness into returning punts because returning punts takes a lot more skill than returning kicks. This is why good punt returns are usually also good kick returners but the opposite is less often true. I hate coming off as a hater on a former Vol but its true. His one year was less impressive on paper than it was onscreen. There have been a lot of players in UT history that put up similar or better numbers than he did in his one year. history has also shown us his punt return TD was more fluke than anything.. In the NFL he has had 1 punt return (9 yards) and 2 fair catches all in his first 4 years in Minnesota. If he was the super athlete you think he is surely he would have earned more snaps that that? Alvin Kamara has had more punt returns than CP as a franchise RB.
See what I mean when I say you like to argue just for the hell of it? I talked about him being physically gifted offensive player, which has nothing to do with his ability to learn a route tree, and nothing to do with his stats, and nothing to do with defensive players like Berry or Pickens, and you just wrote a novel talking about a whole bunch of shít that I didn’t say, while also essentially agreeing with me that he’s a physical freak of nature, which was my only point to begin with.

Also, CP is shifty like those other guys mentioned, but he’s between 20-40 lbs heavier than all of them. It’s like arguing who’s better between Squirrel white and Bru McCoy lol

I didn't but Eric Berry had 14 INTs and 494 return yds, on top of being hard hitter. I'm pretty sure he's also the only UT player to win the Jim Thorpe Award and he was pretty much the heart and soul of the team.

No disrespect to Dale Carter. I just believe Berry is in a class of his own.
Carter is easily in Berry's class. Both were studs

VN Store

Back