Wide Receiver stance

northknoxvol

Senior Member (BFL)
It has been talked about on the Swain Event that our Wide outs use a stance nobody has seen before. Also, someone said that when Pac Man Jones was in town working with the wrs that he asked them who showed them that stance? Also said some colorful words about how stupid it was. Swain said he didnt like it because we are not getting any positive results from it and nobody else uses it that can be evidence that it works.

Reactions: 4 people
I hadn't even noticed the stance. What's the deal with it?

The "stance" must be a statue position. It seems that they don't move downfield except to occasionally block on a sideline screen.

Reactions: 2 people
I heard that this morning too. I didn't know a specific stance could make a difference. Maybe it does and maybe that's something they could look at changing/correcting. If we can get the passing game cranked up to its potential the offense could be dangerous.

It has been talked about on the Swain Event that our Wide outs use a stance nobody has seen before. Also, someone said that when Pac Man Jones was in town working with the wrs that he asked them who showed them that stance? Also said some colorful words about how stupid it was. Swain said he didnt like it because we are not getting any positive results from it and nobody else uses it that can be evidence that it works.

You might as well have them sitting down. Whatever happened to the jet sweep, getting your playmakers the ball in space, the read option, what was Dobbs 5 for 5 passing in the second half against Florida? and you are running the same 4 plays over and over and over and over. The play calling is and has been awful imo including in the first game against BG.

Reactions: 3 people
All I can tell is it looks like a semi crouched position and very rigid. Almost like a sprinters stance half standing. It doesn't look relaxed at all

I guess maybe there's something to it if an NFL player is questioning it.

I just thought it was a loose copy of the Peter Warrick FSU stance everyone seemed to copy in the late '90s-early '00s.

Pac man jones is an expert at colorful words and questionable decision making in all facets of his life

Reactions: 1 person
The receivers all bend over low, as if, as someone said above, they were sprinters. It IS unusual--I hadn't seen it before either. I assume the idea is that the stance helps the receivers drive off the line of scrimmage--but it now seems kind of dumb since we hardly even try to pass the ball downfield. My first thought when I saw it was, oh, no: It's the WR version of the Clawfence, that weird offensive line thing that Clausen tried to use that I never understood and that was part of a disastrous offense.

Reactions: 2 people
They are in a crouched postion with arms in tight and hands in front of their chest.

Other than how to screw up a life, I wouldn't pay a lot of attention to what Pacman says.

The receivers all bend over low, as if, as someone said above, they were sprinters. It IS unusual--I hadn't seen it before either. I assume the idea is that the stance helps the receivers drive off the line of scrimmage--but it now seems kind of dumb since we hardly even try to pass the ball downfield. My first thought when I saw it was, oh, no: It's the WR version of the Clawfence, that weird offensive line thing that Clausen tried to use that I never understood and that was part of a disastrous offense.
Supposedly Pacman told the players they would never make it in the NFL doing that and told Azzani that it is stupid.

Reactions: 5 people
I won't pretend to know what I am talking about but:

Swain, who should know, says that the stance presents the receivers chest way to easily to the corner. As Swain says, once the corner has his hands on your chestplate---you've lost as a receiver.

Reactions: 3 people
I won't pretend to know what I am talking about but:

Swain, who should know, says that the stance presents the receivers chest way to easily to the corner. As Swain says, once the corner has his hands on your chestplate---you've lost as a receiver.

And if that's the case then that would explain why they're almost never open. Speed isn't the issue. For the first time in almost 10 years we actually look just as the other teams.

Reactions: 1 person

Nonsense!

I saw Azzani at a coaching clinic, and he calls it a "run-ready" stance. The thought process there is that 'normal' receiver stances have the wideout almost standing up, hands basically in front of the chest. According to Z, when receivers come out of that stance, they crouch down in order to get a burst and leverage on a pressing corner. The run-ready stance eliminates that crouching, and just starts them there.

The run-ready stance is meant to cut a half-second out of the start, get better leverage underneath bump-and-run DBs, get into your break half a second sooner, and get the ball out of the quarterback's hands half a second sooner.

He did mention that opposing WR coaches use that to negatively recruit, saying things like "Why do you wanna go there and use that goofy stance?", or something like that.

Not advocating the stance, just clarifying.

Reactions: 4 people
When I read Wide Receiver stance, I thought this was about former senator Larry Craig.

Last edited:
It is often referenced to as the "crouching tiger, hidden dragon" stance.

They are in a crouched postion with arms in tight and hands in front of their chest.

Other than how to screw up a life, I wouldn't pay a lot of attention to what Pacman says.

It's not just pacman who are questioning it. It's Swain & other NFL Vols who are questioning it

VN Store

Back