Will Schaffer Transfer??

FLVOL

Please put up with any posting errors as this is my 1st post! I heard Max Howell state on the radio earlier today that Schaeffer would be transferring next year. Can anyone confirm this? I hope he stays!! ;) GO VOLS!!

All that is out there is rumor and conjecture. He might stay thru spring and he might not but if the rumors are true then he should look elsewhere.

He might transfer next year. I think the probability is that he will -- 3 QB's cannot be managed. He's really going to turn out talented, but I doubt it will be wearing orange, unfortunately.

If the rumors of his skipping most every class since the Ole Miss game are true, then he may not have a choice.

Either way, I don't think he'll stay.

And Crompton? I think Ainge really flattened out after the fast start. Very inconsistent and erratic passing games the further he went. Some great, some terrible.

Most true freshmen tend to do that.

Skipping class is definately not a good sign. But after Kelly Washington and James Banks, if there's any chance he could end up like those two then both the program and Schaeffer should move on.

Originally posted by donsargegolf@Dec 10, 2004 6:40 PM
And Crompton? I think Ainge really flattened out after the fast start. Very inconsistent and erratic passing games the further he went. Some great, some terrible.

True freshman never play that well. Lefors at Louisville is an exception, and should not be followed. For the most part, it would be similar to starting a rookie QB in the NFL. Eli Manning, anyone? Ainge did well in that; He did not do bad, except in one game, most true freshman qb's couldn't pull that off and he has great potential. If he can start for four years, he will be amazing.

And there's happy feet. He's never played with them before.

If Brent hasn't been heading to class, then we don't need him as a Vol. It's disappointing to see that... and it was disappointing to see what Banks has done to himself... some guys just don't have it.

Part of the reason Ainge Flattened out is due to splitting 1st team practice reps with Schaeffer.

Part of the reason Ainge Flattened out is due to splitting 1st team practice reps with Schaeffer.

True enough. The other parts of the reason is that after the LaTech game, our opposition's DCs determined how to misalign their defenses only to shift before the snap in their intended defense. As a freshman, Ainge wasn't good at reading defenses and checking off. He didn't know the play book well enough. Due to that, we found ourself trying to call in plays from the sidelines with the clock always ticking down to 0. As a domino effect, our offensive line became the attackee rather than the attackor and began playing on it's heels. This led to OL injuries, which lead to EA not having a lot of time to see the field past the primary reciever.

All this because these kids were freshmen. IMO having a seasoned QB is primo. While JC may be a good one in the future and great athletically right now, it will not be in his nor the teams best interest for him to get a lot of PT nex year.

Attachments

• sy41.jpg
    sy41.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 0
All the rookie buzz from the NFL is crap, and LeFors performance over at Louisville is not helping. People need to realize QB's do not perform well their first year, except in extraordinary circumstances.

I remember that it came down to either Tennessee or Kansas State for Schaeffer, wonder if he'll give KSU another look if he's thinking about transferring.

I also know some Hurricane fans that want him down in Miami if he does in fact transfer, along with other florida schools such as UCF and USF.

The KSU offense is a perfect fit for Schaeffer's abilities, which is why I was so surprised that we got him in the first place.

Schaeffer should really taake advantage of this oppurtunity to get a first-class education. He is not exactly a shoe-in for the NFL. He should hit the books and work harder to earn a starting job.

Schaeffer will not start at UT unless Ainge or Crompton or both have been hurt and cannot play.

Schaeffer is not the QB that Ainge or Crompton are. He is a better all round athlete but not QB. If he was a Vick maybe but he's not in that class either.

Originally posted by TNVOLS1@Dec 12, 2004 7:09 PM
Schaeffer is not the QB that Ainge or Crompton are. He is a better all round athlete but not QB. If he was a Vick maybe but he's not in that class either.

Crompton has yet to prove himself, and Schaeffer could still turn out to be the next Mike Vick.

I have heard a lot of good things about Crompton, but I haven't seen any of his HS stats. Anyone have a line on those?

Oh, I agree, he's the second or third best QB prospect in the country, only below Mark Sanchez and maybe Perriloux. But the thing is, he's still just that -- a prospect. Anything could happen with prospects. Scout.com had Ainge ranked as just a three star, and Ainge went in and played at the very least competently against SEC competition -- something no three-star true freshman should be able to do. At the same time, it would be entirely possible to get a five-star QB who goes in and is just mediocre. Not saying he will be, but don't jump the gun. We'll see when we see.

Scout.com is the worst of the lot. If you know anything about talent and see Crompton you know he has what it takes.

VN Store

Back