Will the secondary be vastly improved?

I think the team will be all around improved simply in the coaching leadership and the winning spirit. It's still the same players and we won't know how much improvement will show until the games begin. I am thinking there will be some good surprises for the VOL fans.

Reactions: 1 person
Gray and Gordon were your best pure cover corners, IMO. They be gone. Still have hope for Coleman but will have to have young contributors. Expect lots of zone.

Name Pos Hgt Weight Year Notes
Byron Moore S 6 208 RS SR Rated 5th best Saftey by one of the publications. Highly recruited.
Brian Randolph S 6 199 RS SO Solid
LaDarrell McNeil S 6-1 199 SO Star potential
Jalen Reeves-Maybin S 6-1 210 FR Extremely highly recruited but speed was one of his weakness as I understand it.
Tino Thomas S 6 206 RS FR 2nd year in program.
Geraldo Orta S 6 176 RS SO Highly recruited. 3rd year in the program

Riyahd Jones CB 5-11 179 JR Juco - Participated in Spring. Penciled in as started according to Rivals
Justin Coleman CB 5-10 184 JR Starter
Eric Gordon CB 5-9 190 RS SR MIA, likely a co starter if he were in school
Lemond Johnson CB 6-1 188 FR Participated in Spring. Penciled in as 2nd string according to Rivals. Father was DB coach in HS.
Naz Oliver CB 5-10 186 RS SR 5 year in the program. Missed 2 years due to injuries. But only played I one game last year. Penciled in as 2nd string according to Rivals
Cameron Sutton CB 6-1 180 FR Freshmen
Jaron Toney CB 5-10 184 RS JR No doubt he is atheltic and has some speed but can he make the conversion
Malik Foreman CB 5-10 177 FR Freshmen
Devaun Swafford CB 5-11 184 FR Freshmen

I think Toney is a baller. Not sure about his speed to play corner every down, but expect him to be on the field is some fashion. He has some good instincts, which have been absent from our dbackfield. Maybe he was taking Gordon's nickel spot anyway?

I really think so, a combination of experience, key players back from injury and the 4-3 should help a lot. I'm very optimistic about our defense this year, the 4-3 is going to be huge this year, because we McCullers, Couch, Walls and Jaques Smith(if he can make finally make strides this year) along with AJ Johnson and Curt Maggitt, who I believe, will be the key stopping the run, the weakness of the 4-3. All of this will make the secondary much better, taking a lot of pressure off them.

Yes:

We are better coached
D-Line will shave precious seconds requried in coverage
Switch back to 4-3 which is easier for players to provide coverage
We shouldn't have as many injuries because of conditioning program
We have great Safeties and at least one good Corner.
More speed on the field with Brewer going to LB, etc.

Biggest risk is injuries: I don't think our depth is very good just yet.

I think Toney is a baller. Not sure about his speed to play corner every down, but expect him to be on the field is some fashion. He has some good instincts, which have been absent from our dbackfield. Maybe he was taking Gordon's nickel spot anyway?

If he doesn't have the speed to play every down, then how does he have the speed to play any down? We saw what slow corners get you last year.

Whenever people hype up any member of our secondary I just think of their play and I just can't imagine coaching making you that bad. Maybe Randolph has a case. I guess Brewer has played decent ball at times and Moore has made some plays. Maybe you are right about safety. I just don't think we have a single corner who can play at all. Im just hoping they can be coached to a below average level instead of downright atrocious.

Disagree 100% . The secondary was disconnected from the front . The front rarely got any pressue. They were asked to do ridiculous things ..such ask drop from man coverage looks into zone looks , and vice versa. The Pats at their best would do this maybe once every 2 or 3 games...very difficult to pull off . They would have outside backsr covering slots. No true bump and run in a 3 4 ? telegraphed blitzes., 6 or more keys per player, crossing the field to cover players... the list of coaching execution and philosophy issues could go on an on.

Most of these kids were nationally recruited ...I think it is a bit early to pass judgement given the blatant coaching errors. There is a reason for DCs and a reason some are much better than others. I think they will be a much improved and possibly above average unit this season. Think back to Ainge before Cut , or Crompton before Kiffin. Coaching is everything

Reactions: 3 people
Vastly improved could still be bad. But to say their is good talent in our secondary is a major stretch to me. It's very mediocre. Let's just hope they play mediocre rather than awful.

Look how much Wagoner degenerated last year under SalVanilla virus.

Reactions: 2 people
If he doesn't have the speed to play every down, then how does he have the speed to play any down? We saw what slow corners get you last year.

Imo, he plays faster than the others and seems to be around the ball when he does play. I just haven't seen him enough and I don't know what he looks lime defending a deep ball 50 yards downfield. Last year was his first at db and he got some carries at rb the year prior. To do that in the sec means he can play.

Let's face it, this is the question. If our secondary isn't any better both in coverage and tackling it is going to be another losing season. If the secondary gets noticeably better, it could be a competitive team. What are the thoughts on this?

I watch football a lot and I also played 3 seasons of high school football, however; I definitely don't consider myself an expert.

That being said, I would think that if our defensive line puts more pressure on the q.b. and the q.b. has less time to get set up, then our d.b.'s will improve.

I am of the opinion that a d.b. can stick with and defend a w.r. for maybe 3 seconds. After that, the w.r. usually gets some amount of separation and gets open. Maybe wide open or slightly open. If the defensive line can pressure the q.b. before the 3 second mark, then the q.b. will throw the ball prior to the w.r. being open. Thus, it will appear that the d.b. has improved, when in fact the defensive line is the unit that has improved.

Am I completely wrong, slightly wrong or am I right?

Probably not vastly improved in just 1 year. I do see an improved defense and an offense that struggles to put points on the board. If we average over 21-22pts/game I'll be suprised....again, an average points/game for the season

I will be the ONE to say that if CBJ and the D-Staff have any salt in them the D will be much better. The first time he (CBJ) met the players he stated Defense wins in the SEC. As far as the Secondary goes its 2 things. 1) (as stated) Better D-Line play, inside and outside. 2) Easier reads and rotations compacted by less time given for the play to develop and you get more people in the area that the football will be delivered. The deep ball shouldn't scare anyone unless they can't stop the run. All of our DBs can run good enough to keep up with stretch plays, but, if they feel like they need to cheat to the run... Alert the burn unit, someone will get TORCHED !!!

Let's face it, this is the question. If our secondary isn't any better both in coverage and tackling it is going to be another losing season. If the secondary gets noticeably better, it could be a competitive team. What are the thoughts on this?

I expect improvement but I wouldn't say vastly. they are too slow

I watch football a lot and I also played 3 seasons of high school football, however; I definitely don't consider myself an expert.

That being said, I would think that if our defensive line puts more pressure on the q.b. and the q.b. has less time to get set up, then our d.b.'s will improve.

I am of the opinion that a d.b. can stick with and defend a w.r. for maybe 3 seconds. After that, the w.r. usually gets some amount of separation and gets open. Maybe wide open or slightly open. If the defensive line can pressure the q.b. before the 3 second mark, then the q.b. will throw the ball prior to the w.r. being open. Thus, it will appear that the d.b. has improved, when in fact the defensive line is the unit that has improved.

Am I completely wrong, slightly wrong or am I right?

I say you are correct sir...:hi:

not Teague, not PW and no Sal/Dooley is all I need, really. CB is about confidence, guts, and a little speed and I think our staff will find it. We are pretty solid up the middle and our cb's shouldn't have to cover as long with better play out of the front 7 on d as well.

Bout time Teague graduated.. honestly one of the biggest let downs in recent memory IMO.. He seemed to have all the potential in the world in the slot his Freshman year, but he could just never get over the hump in the Secondary. His poor tackling cost us dearly against Florida. (believe me, I was there)

VN Store

Back