Will Vols go heavily after Jimmy Clausen?

alot can happen in 2 years but I think UT is sitting where alot of others wish they were.

Remember how "great" Chris Leak thought Tennessee was and how much of a shoe in he was supposed to be?? Look for that greedy b*stard Pete Carroll to try and get him!

And, it ain't greedy. It's good recruiting. Getting the best talent you can is a coaches' job.

I read somewhere (can't remember where) that USC had the inside track on Jimmy Clausen. I think I also read that family issues or career issues in the family would make it easier for everyone if he stayed in California. Wish I could remember where I read it. It was some prep recruiting publication on the internet in California.

As for that its called bias west coast crap since the Clausen have a Condo in the Knoxville area and their daughter is a Freshman at UT this year. If I had to say anything is closer to a fact its that UT has the inside track especially since Jimmy has stated in the past he LOVES UT and wants to play for them. Things change as children mature but I would bet money UT has the inside track over USC.

Clausen's Numbers:
43 80 806 53.8 3 9 FR.
226 329 3659 68.7 6 57 SO.
269 409 4465 65.8 9 66

True that Casey Clausen was not Manning.... but if Manning had never played at UT, Clausen would be the all-time leading passer in Tennessee history. Actually, there is no qb close.... he would have shattered the records.

1. Peyton Manning*
863-of-1381 for 11201 yds and 89 tds

2. Casey Clausen
775-of-1270 for 9577 yds and 75 tds

3. Andy Kelly*
514-of-846 for 6397 yds and 36 tds

4. Jeff Francis*
476-of-768 for 5867 yds and 31 tds

5. Tee Martin
326-of-588 for 4592 yds and 32 tds

6. Heath Shuler 4088 yds and 36 tds
7. Alan Cockrell* 3823 yds and 26 tds
8. Jimmy Streater* 3433 yds and 17 tds
9. Bobby Scott* 3371 yds and 32 tds
10. Dewey Warren* 3357 yds and 27 tds
11. Tony Robinson 3332 yds and 23 tds
12. Condredge Holloway 3102 yds and 18 tds

* Tennessee all-time leading passer at conclusion of career

Originally posted by volbrian@Dec 12, 2004 12:05 AM
Sixth, Casey played with more heart, fire and determination as any VOL player (possible exception Travis Stephens) I have seen.  If we had a team of his attitude, he would have won a couple of MNCs.

you gotta be joking, right?

heart?
fire?

check the avatar if you wanna talk about a player with heart and fire.

This could make quarterback recruiting a little tricky. Crompton sees Ainge and Shaffer in front of him and then the possibility of Jimmy Clausen coming up behind him to give him competition, especially if they redshirt Crompton the first year. Clausen could be looking at Crompton especially if Crompton is starting at the time he is suppose to come in. It's great to see great qb's wanting to come to TN but it can also hurt us. we can't take them all. They know it and the other schools are going to be quick to point it out.

It has been stated in the past that Jimmy Clausen wanted to attend UT. The Clausen family seems to have a certain attraction for their kids wanting to come here for whatever reason. While it is true that Crompton is coming, when it comes time for head to head competition, will Clausen beat out Crompton. A K'ville sportswriter had written earlier in the year that there was no QB controversy at UT. He pointed out that UT history shows anytime there is a potential "who's starting" question, the youngest and tallest QB will always get the job. He went down the list and stated his case. Sure enough, even with Brent's talent, Ainge eventually became starter, as the writer said would happen. The bottom line...is James Clausen taller than Crompton, with all other evaluations being relatively equal. It also seems apparent to me watching recruits in the past, that most are willing to buy their time here waiting for their turn to be the UT starter. Whether it be QB, RB, WR, whatever. Seems alot see that one year in the big time at UT is worth more than 2-4 years somewhere else. Look at our active/inactive NFL drafts. One huge collegiate road to the NFL comes through K'ville. I see the young Clausen commtting prior to his senior season.

Originally posted by GAVol@Dec 12, 2004 9:50 PM

I guess my point is that it is a little short sighted to say that nobody played QB at Tennessee prior to Heath Shuler.

The comment was not that nobody played Qb before Shuler.....the comment was that they were average at best. Since Shuler, we have been above average.....including Casey.

Peace

Either way it works out will be fine , these things have a way of working out I would rather have the problem of too many than scratching around trying to find just one. Plus they can look at this yr BOOM 2 Qbs go down in back to back games and bingo you're a starter

I know what you meant, but I still think you are selling some guys short. Among the QBs that were playing in the SEC at the time, Andy Kelly, Jeff Francis, Tony Robinson were definitely way above average. Heck, if Tony Robinson hadn't gotten hurt his senior year, all 3 of those guys would have better stats than Heath Shuler.

Tennessee quarterbacks in the NFL draft....

Player Name Yr Drafted Round-Pick Team
Bobby Cifers 1944 2-14 Lions (NFL Career 1944-49)
Dewey Warren 1968 6-155 Bengals (NFL 1 season)
Bobby Scott 1971 14-340 Saints (NFL Career 1973-82)
Gary Valbuena 1974 10-260 Dolphins (NFL 1 season)
Condredge Holloway 1975 12-306 Patriots (CFL '75-'87; Hall-of-Famer)
Pat Ryan 1978 11-281 Jets (NFL Career 1978-91)
Jeff Francis 1989 6-140 Raiders (NFL Career 1989-91)
Heath Shuler 1994 1-3 Redskins (NFL Career 1994-98)
Jerry Colquit 1995 6-191 Panthers
Peyton Manning 1998 1-1 Colts (NFL Career 1998-present; 1 MVP)
Tee Martin 2000 5-163 Steelers (NFL Career 2000-03)

Other QBs....

Andy Kelly is the all-time passing leader in Arena Football history.

Jim Maxwell played a couple of seasons in the NFL from 1972-73

You must also look at the upcoming changes to be voted on in the spring and how it will effect teams recruiting.

1. Add 12th game
2. player has 5 years to play 5
3. 20 scholarships per year with the 85 max being dropped

Tennessee has been recruiting him for some time and the reports on him are stealth. Casey was far better than good, Rick is ...Rick, but if Jimmy is as good as reported I can't wait til he is in Orange. C'mon over Jimmy, I'll give you the #7 Jersey your brother wore so proudly. Go Vols.

Originally posted by TBALLVOL@Dec 13, 2004 8:14 AM
This could make quarterback recruiting a little tricky. Crompton sees Ainge and Shaffer in front of him and then the possibility of Jimmy Clausen coming up behind him to give him competition, especially if they redshirt Crompton the first year. Clausen could be looking at Crompton especially if Crompton is starting at the time he is suppose to come in. It's great to see great qb's wanting to come to TN but it can also hurt us. we can't take them all. They know it and the other schools are going to be quick to point it out.

I doubt it. Every first year QB should be redshirted, unless you have no other options. And isn't Jimmy only a high school sophomore? He's a year younger than me! Crompton will be playing his sophomore year by the time Jimmy comes in.

Anyone who sells Kevin Altoona Robinson, Tony,TRob short either did not see him play or does not know football. He was the purest natural passer EVER at UT including my man Peyton Manning. His ability to read defenses was nearly unparalelled and he had the ability to throw any type of pass required. Obviously TRob had his own personal troubles but playing in prime time was not one of them. He also gave us one of our greatest victories in our storied history against Auburn. He was also 2-0 an a scab player in the NFL strike season for the Redskins. He had it all, even sweatbands on the ankles.

Originally posted by donsargegolf@Dec 15, 2004 9:34 PM
TRob...  He was also 2-0 an a scab player in the NFL strike season for the Redskins. He had it all, even sweatbands on the ankles.

The Redskins got off to a terrific start winning 6 of their first 7 games as the Redskins replacement players were among the best of the scab teams. In their final game the Redskins replacements beat the Cowboys regulars 13-7 in Dallas.

TRob's stats from 1987.... 11-of-18 for 152 yards and 2 ints.

They made a movie about it too..... The Replacements starring Keanu Reeves as the scab quarterback.

The Real Replacements

In The Replacements, Keanu Reeves plays a washed-up quarterback reluctant to return to football. But when the real-life Washington Redskins wanted out-of-work QB Ed Rubbert to cross a very imposing picket line during the 1987 NFL players' strike, the three-year starter at the University of Louisville didn't hesitate. "I didn't even have a job at the time," recalls Rubbert, who had been cut by the Redskins the previous year during the preseason. "I was just back home in New York working out, staying in shape in case I got another shot."

The '87 "Scabskins," as they became affectionately known, were a colorful collection of castoffs. Free safety Skip Lane left a $175,000-a-year job in real estate, running back Walter Holman was a security guard, and Rubbert's backup QB, Tony Robinson, was on a work furlough from prison (for trying to deliver cocaine).

Rubbert says he nearly quit after a couple of days at the Redskins training facility. "I was feeling bad. I'd met a lot of the Redskins, and I wasn't feeling right about being there. I didn't want to get in the league that way." But head coach Joe Gibbs quickly coaxed him into coming back. And Rubbert would go on to throw for 334 yards in his first game, including three touchdowns to Anthony Allen (above, right), whose 255 yards receiving that day is still a Redskins record.

The Scabskins went 3-0, including a win over a Cowboys team that featured several starters -- such as Tony Dorsett and Ed "Too Tall" Jones --Êwho had chosen to return to work. The three Scabskin wins wound up counting in the final standings for a Washington team that would win the championship, led by Doug Williams, the first African-American quarterback to play in the Super Bowl.

Meanwhile, Rubbert would never again play in a regular-season NFL game. But the 34-year-old PE teacher and part owner of a sports bar in New City, N.Y., has fond memories. He says he and his fellow replacement players were given tickets to the Super Bowl in San Diego and a winner's share of $27,000. Not to mention the gratitude of the men who'd been screaming at them from the picket lines. "I'd say half the guys called after the strike and thanked us," Rubbert says.

VN Store

Back