Will we go to speed w/ Oregon or "slow" them down?

Dougie_D

Oregon puts up numbers fast and quick. Will we just run a lot and have short passes to keep their Offense off the field? Consistent 4 yard plays each down.

What will our gameplan look like?

If we try to play Oregon at their ball, we lose. Any team in the country would probably lose to them in that situation. We have to utilize any advantages we have and play some smash-mouth football on both offense and defense to avoid this situation. Their first drive will be key. We need to stop that and put it in both their heads and ours that we can indeed stop them. After that the ballgame begins.

Reactions: 3 people
Another key is to Never let them cross the 50 yard line, as this is 4 down territory for them. (easier said than done)

If we try to play Oregon at their ball, we lose. Any team in the country would probably lose to them in that situation. We have to utilize any advantages we have and play some smash-mouth football on both offense and defense to avoid this situation. Their first drive will be key. We need to stop that and put it in both their heads and ours that we can indeed stop them. After that the ballgame begins.

agreed. I'd say it will take stopping 2-3 series to get that mental edge you speak of

Butch said today we will mix up our tempos. We just need to follow Stanford's blueprint from last year IMHO.... regardless of tempo, and punch them in the mouth over and over again.

Reactions: 1 person
UT may use the whole clock but they'll be on the ball in a hurry with very limited substitutions. Many are questioning UT's ability to not get worn out. But they have seen up tempo all spring and August.... from guys who are just as athletic and weigh 20 lbs more on average.

I kind of question how Oregon will hold up if UT does not substitute and just hammers away on the ground. If they get to the line immediately then keep Oregon's front 7 in their stances until a few seconds left on the clock... that wears on them too.

UT's chances in this game are in the hands of the OL... just where we'd want them to be if we could choose.

Reactions: 5 people
Someone said that Stanford last year had some success running power football right at them. I imagine our OL will line up and seek to pound the football between the tackles. I don't really want to see many East-West plays. Granted, most of this is obvious, but it will be near impossible to match them and their speed.

Smash mouth football would be great. Unfortunately, I just don't think we've got that kind of offence...yet.

We need to stop the run, tackle in space and don't let any big plays got for TD's. Our CB's will need to be able to get off blocks and make plays. If we let either the QB or RB's get free in the middle of the field they will go for TD's.

Someone said that Stanford last year had some success running power football right at them. I imagine our OL will line up and seek to pound the football between the tackles. I don't really want to see many East-West plays. Granted, most of this is obvious, but it will be near impossible to match them and their speed.

Punch. Them. In. The. Mouth.

Ten has a good Offensive line and running game. Utilize that and a mix of screens short passes. We could possibly play with Oregon... go vols

You will see a lot of tight end crossing and short posts that has not been used yet. When safeties cheat on it you will see north one on one in fly routes. Neal will also be involved passing game. I think butch has plans to empty play book if we don't get routed in first half. We are way better than Virginia. But Oregon is really good. Hate to say it but last years offense would scorch these guys. And last years defense would look like Texas 2013.

UT may use the whole clock but they'll be on the ball in a hurry with very limited substitutions. Many are questioning UT's ability to not get worn out. But they have seen up tempo all spring and August.... from guys who are just as athletic and weigh 20 lbs more on average.

I kind of question how Oregon will hold up if UT does not substitute and just hammers away on the ground. If they get to the line immediately then keep Oregon's front 7 in their stances until a few seconds left on the clock... that wears on them too.

UT's chances in this game are in the hands of the OL... just where we'd want them to be if we could choose.

I like this kind of game plan.......plays on their mind also if they can't stop the run.

Just score. Fast or slow. Score. Field goals will hurt our chances and punts will hurt them bad. Turnovers cannot happen.

We need to stop the run, tackle in space and don't let any big plays got for TD's. Our CB's will need to be able to get off blocks and make plays. If we let either the QB or RB's get free in the middle of the field they will go for TD's.

Exactly right couldn't have said it better myself. Your right we have to play good in space and make solid tackles and play our gap assignments to a T if we can do that and run the ball successfully we might have a chance of hanging in there. I also think we will have to play alot of zone and have somebody spying the qb. Because the ducks made a killing against Virginia on busted plays. Its going to be a hard task for our vols but anything is possible. That's why they play the game. GO VOLS!

Wish it was a home game so the grounds crew could "forget" to mow the grass for a few days to help slow them down.

low tempo to keep Oregon's offense on the bench, we need to possess the ball as long as we can

We need another one of those "punch them in the d**n mouth threads" like for GA a couple years ago...awesomeness.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back