Will we go to speed w/ Oregon or "slow" them down?

Wish it was a home game so the grounds crew could "forget" to mow the grass for a few days to help slow them down.

Recent history tells me we don't have anyone who can tackle in space. However, this is a new coaching staff and the team seems so far (against much lesser skilled opponents) to have gotten better.

One thing I've been thinking about. I think this coaching staff can really come up with a good scheme, so it's really going to come down to talent and execution. With our lack of talented depth it's concern that we won't execute the game plan perfectly and bad habits will come back. I'm hoping that won't happen and we can keep it close.

Oregon has been running their scheme for so long so even with a new head coach (their former OC) we can assume they will run it to perfection. We really need to step up our game or it will get ugly.

Also, on offense I want to see more from our O-Line than the have shown in the first 2 games. Honestly, they have been OK, but there have been times when Worley had defenders in his face and he really should not have if our OLine is as good as advertised.

Consistent, long sustained drives in which we score 7. That's the only way we're going to hang with these guys.

Honestly, I think the guys have to play perfect assignment football without blowing coverages. The linebackers in pass coverage scare me the most covering ANY of Oregon's backs or tight ends. Oregon will spread us out I'm sure and make us pay. I think the key as strange as it sounds is to run the ball and pound it out. I just think we are totally outgunned personnel-wise--this isn't really a favorable matchup. I'm not counting on Oregon turning it over 7 times.

You aren't going to keep up with that bunch. I'd say Butch is looking to emphasize the run and TOP to keep their offense OFF the field as much as possible. It's really the best shot.

i am so glad everyone in this thread agrees.

we have to stay no huddle. use all 40 seconds on the play clock before every play and keep the chains moving. defense has to get off the field on third downs. and make oregon have drives that are slow grinding out moving the chains kind of drives...what i fear the most is a blown assignment followed by a turnover...that is when oregon punishes teams and it gets ugly fast

fake injuries to slow down their offense--that is what nfl teams are doing now for the spread option teams

If we try and play at their pace I reckon it will be even more of a challenge. As long as we score a couple of times I will be happy.

Vols must score on every possession regardless of tempo or TOP. Oregon (4.65) is second to Baylor (5.0) in points per possession this season. Tennessee is averaging 3.95 points per possession. Assuming that both teams end up with an equal amount of possessions, Tennessee must not squander any opportunities and definitely no 3 and outs.

The last thing we need to try to do is out tempo the ducks. We're not going to beat them at their game. The only advantage we have is size and strength. We need to own the line of scrimmage and run right at these guys. Dont try to juke and bounce to the outside, lower your shoulders and truck these guys. We're not going to outrun them but we can run them over.

On defense we have to tackle in space. We have to be physical here too. I would rather see a few penalties then let these guys run free. This team needs to get nasty and play this game with a mean streak. If we use our size and strength to rough these guys up then maybe we have a shot to keep it close. If we can do that then who knows.

VN Store

Back