Willie Mays

Even though I’m old I never got to see him in his prime. When TV coverage became more prevalent his skills had diminished quite a bit. The tape of his performance in the 1973 World Series, well that just needs to be burned. Same with Mickey Mantle. Just saw him playing 1B his last year. Would have loved to have seen both of them in their prime. But I do believe everyone that says Mays was the best they saw play.

Growing up in Memphis, I became a Cardinals fan. One of my childhood highlights was being able to travel to St. Louis and attend the Cardinals/Giants game in which I got to see Bob Gibson strike Mays out TWICE! Baseball at some of its best!

You think Gibson, Drysdale, and Marichel were only throwing 85 mph? Drysdale didn't like intentionally walking anybody, why waste 4 pitches when he could just hit them with the first pitch. Koufax's stuff was as good as anybody in the game today.

You think Mays was facing the elites every at bat? This is what his stats would've looked like if everybody were BG

1718888387836.png

where did you find this?
I tuned my AM radio to KMOX often during these years growing up in knoxville
Same here. I was in Huntsville. Listened to just about every Cardinals and St Louis Blues game growing up. Dan Kelly was the best ever. Plus Pete Franklin on WWWE came in loud and clear as well. The radio era was fun as a teenager.

I just read a bio on Henry Aaron that was not all that positive about Mays and his self promotion.

But we have to admit, Willie played over half his career games at 2 of the worst hitters parks in the mlb. His numbers would be FAR higher otherwise

Both of them were exceptional players. If there was a A+ Level of the HOF, both would be there.

You don’t have to be likable to be great.

I was at this game as a 10 year old. I think there may have been 1 or 2 HOF'ers on this roster
Cool. Knew I should have looked this up. I was working in Huntsville AL. , and about 4 of 5 us had received freebies to the game and we had to drive back afterward since we were all expected to be at work. I could not remember if Mays [played but suspected he had been named to roster.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
melvin also played AA ball in B'tam

Same here. I was in Huntsville. Listened to just about every Cardinals and St Louis Blues game growing up. Dan Kelly was the best ever. Plus Pete Franklin on WWWE came in loud and clear as well. The radio era was fun as a teenager.
listened to am radio instead of doing homework while in JrHi, HS

first real job in Huntsville
got married there, too

1950's. B&W TV. Dizzy Dean's color commentary sponsored by Falstaff beer. My dad telling me about Willie Mays as we watched the games. Great memories.

Reactions: ArdentVol

VN Store

Back