WSJ hates TN

Anyone who has been anywhere knows lodging rates are jacked up for the week end, it's an industry standard. The WSJ just stated the obvious. :yes:

All I'll say in this area is that if college football is THE ONLY ENTERTAINMENT DRAW in a community, the "bump" is going to be MUCH higher.

Some of my clients before I retired were the Univ of Tenn, Texas A&M, Univ of Mich and the State of South Carolina. I will tell you, in College Station, when you get off the airport at night in the summer, the only thing you hear are crickets, not cars. This place is dead without the University. So the ONLY reason to go there is for university related events, hence the big bump.

At Tenn you have a beautiful area to live in, just beautiful. So more draw for Non-university events, thus reducing the "bump".

I couldn't agree more, thanks for the compliment ! :hi:

And there we go, nailed it.

Kind of amateur the writer of the article didn't see the bigger picture.

That's the first thought I had too and it was so obvious. The only way to accurately compare would be to take the least number of hotels for any given city(say 33 in Tuscaloosa). Then take the 33 closest hotels to the Stadium/Campus in each of the other cities and see what the price increase was on those hotels only. Still doesn't account for the supply and demand but it's more accurate than what the writer did. The hotels in Downtown Knoxville increase way more than 20% for gamedays.
Tuscaloosa and Auburn also have more Motels :gun: vs Nashville and Knoxville which have more Hotels :zeitung_lesen: Just saying....

Last edited:
Meh pretty pointless article since it does not factor in city size. If anything all it proves is that the majority of the teams play in very small cities. The 3 largest cities are at the bottom of the list because I am guessing a large majority of the attendees are local. Metro Knoxville is approaching 900K people. Outside of Nashville, Lexington is probably the 3rd largest at around 400K metro.

But of course Bama and Auburn would have a huge hike. Auburn's stadium probably seats over twice the cities population

Meh pretty pointless article since it does not factor in city size. If anything all it proves is that the majority of the teams play in very small cities. The 3 largest cities are at the bottom of the list because I am guessing a large majority of the attendees are local. Metro Knoxville is approaching 900K people. Outside of Nashville, Lexington is probably the 3rd largest at around 400K metro.

But of course Bama and Auburn would have a huge hike. Auburn's stadium probably seats over twice the cities population

Good points. I just thought it was interesting that they went to the trouble to attribute knoxvilles 12th position on the list to TN's on the field troubles. I also thought it was interesting that they used the phrase "faded glory" when describing TN.

That glory will be back you damn Yankess! :clapping::birgits_giggle:

A 3 month old baby knows more about sports than the Wall Street Urinal. What a rag full of yellow journalism!

VN Store

Back