Your sense of awe

SpaceCoastVol

Jacked up on moonshine and testosterone
First, a bit of nostalgia then a question.

It was 40 years ago next month that I started my flying career. Well actually I had just started 'boot camp' to begin my time in the Navy. It's in quotes because I actually went thru the program on which the movie 'An Officer and a Gentleman' was based. And no, Debra Winger wasn't anywhere to be seen. In another 12 months from now, my career will end as far as being an airline pilot so another chapter will either open, or I will become a full time do-nothing.

Even after 40 years of being around airplanes, the act of something that weighs as much as 9 tractor trailer rigs having the ability to repeatedly and reliably accelerate and generate enough lift to fly 7-8 miles above the earth for up to 18 hours at speeds approaching the speed of sound still instills a sense of awe within me. We have gone from Orvill and Wilbur's 120 foot flight to have the ability to make any place on the earth reachable from anywhere else within a day's time. As one comedian was saying, when the early settlers were going across the plains in covered wagons, when they arrived at the destination there would be an entirely different group of people. I do quite a bit of 'deadheading' which is when we are riding as a passenger to pre position for another flight because I am an instructor pilot. It still amazes me to look out that window (which hardly anyone does anymore) to watch that process happen.

So OK. Why am I writing this missive? If you are still with me to this point I wonder what gives YOU that sense of awe. This is more aimed at Dink's generation and those younger than him, but I would still love to see other answers.

I guess it's because pilots grow old but we never grow up.

Ever see any UFOs?
Interesting question. I have seen things I can't explain, but they usually CAN be explained by some black project the military is running. I don't believe in extraterrestrial beings visiting this planet. We are a speck of dust in the middle of an immense void, and any life with the intelligence to come here would be seeking food and nothing more because we would have nothing to offer them. Unless watching the stupidity of our politics was amusing to them.

iu

A few that immediately spring to mind (other than seeing the Earth as you depicted, from above the clouds):

- the Grand Canyon
- being in the middle of the ocean and realizing how small I really am
- swimming in the underwater world with the vast array fish and other life that most of us hardly realize exists.
- I was on Leconte once at Cliff Tops lookout when clouds came in, poured through a gap in the mountains, and filled the valley like a bowl of cream soup. Words could never describe the beauty and wonder that overtook me

First, a bit of nostalgia then a question.

It was 40 years ago next month that I started my flying career. Well actually I had just started 'boot camp' to begin my time in the Navy. It's in quotes because I actually went thru the program on which the movie 'An Officer and a Gentleman' was based. And no, Debra Winger wasn't anywhere to be seen. In another 12 months from now, my career will end as far as being an airline pilot so another chapter will either open, or I will become a full time do-nothing.

Even after 40 years of being around airplanes, the act of something that weighs as much as 9 tractor trailer rigs having the ability to repeatedly and reliably accelerate and generate enough lift to fly 7-8 miles above the earth for up to 18 hours at speeds approaching the speed of sound still instills a sense of awe within me. We have gone from Orvill and Wilbur's 120 foot flight to have the ability to make any place on the earth reachable from anywhere else within a day's time. As one comedian was saying, when the early settlers were going across the plains in covered wagons, when they arrived at the destination there would be an entirely different group of people. I do quite a bit of 'deadheading' which is when we are riding as a passenger to pre position for another flight because I am an instructor pilot. It still amazes me to look out that window (which hardly anyone does anymore) to watch that process happen.

So OK. Why am I writing this missive? If you are still with me to this point I wonder what gives YOU that sense of awe. This is more aimed at Dink's generation and those younger than him, but I would still love to see other answers.

I guess it's because pilots grow old but we never grow up.
We just flew to Minnesota and back, gotta go again next Tuesday. I hate flying 😅. Our rude back to Atlanta, we landed hard, and the guy beside me said "you can always tell the ex nav6 pilots, they land like this"😅

Reactions: just bob
As for your question.

1- that as imperfect as i am, God still loves me, and does things that blows my mind.

2- the feeling about my kids, that they're a part of me. That feeling just awes me

3- the sound of waves at the beach, there's something about that

4- the mountains, being in them far away from anything, it's an amazing peace

5- that game against bama in 2022, i still watch it in amazement. There was just something you felt, like no matter what, we were winning. That's totally away from topic, but that feeling, i was in awe when it happened 😅

My sense of awe?
Here are a few no particular order. Thanks for asking.
I think being present when the woods come alive on a fall morning from a tree stand. There's a lot going on there, birds, squirrels, deer, nature is amazing.
Spring mornings hearing birds gobble on the roost and hearing them fly down close by.
Seeing my two boys grow into respectable young men.
Wide open places like Wyoming, Colorado, and Utah.

--the complexity of the human body

--the idea of love

--thinking of the vastness of the universe when you look at the night sky (though one can't see much of it in West Knox County)

--when a large instrumental group plays together (I'm in community band)

--the complexity of the human body

--the idea of love

--thinking of the vastness of the universe when you look at the night sky (though one can't see much of it in West Knox County)

--when a large instrumental group plays together (I'm in community band)
I've been out at night fishing, and just looked up, trying to look as deep as i can. It's hard to try to imagine how it just keeps going beyond the stars we see.

The last sense of awe I experienced was 6 months ago when I had to have neck surgery. My left arm was basically useless and the nerve pain was intense. 2 hours later I woke up with no pain. It blows my mind the expertise it took to pull that off.
The things they can do now is amazing

Reactions: feathersax
The things they can do now is amazing

We take advances in Medicine for granted. The pain of bad backs and knees that people just had to live with 100 years ago had to be miserable.

When people say "I wish I lived back in earlier times", I don't think they really considered everything

We take advances in Medicine for granted. The pain of bad backs and knees that people just had to live with 100 years ago had to be miserable.

When people say "I wish I lived back in earlier times", I don't think they really considered everything
I agree.

Reactions: vols 30
When I joined the Navy in 1990, my ship was already in the Persian Gulf. They flew me out there from Japan. Stopped in the Philippines, Diego Garcia and Oman on the way.

Landing on an aircraft Carrier and seeing nothing but water everywhere you looked was definitely an awe inspiring moment

Gosh, a few more:

Childbirth. Gets me every time. That first breath, first cry... the new mother's tears of joy.

"Amazing Grace." Pretty sure I've never made it through, even performing on stage, without tearing up. We could survive as a species for a million more years, and nobody is topping that song. It's literally who I am.

The human eye

The last flickering of a sunset over the water

Watching my kids grow into their own. For some reason, I get emotional during every one of my daughter's dance performances.

Communion... every time

Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds, "Live at Luther College"

Being on a cruise ship that looks and feels huge when you get on it, to feel so small when there is nothing around you but water for as far as the eye can see.

Seeing Mt. Denali

Crossing the Knik Arm getting ready to jump into Malamute DZ

the most common ones for me are when a song unlocks something in me. some understanding about myself or my situation that I didn't have before. the fact that a connection to a completely arbitrary person, who may not even be the singer, but rather the song writer; can show me so much about myself shows how connected and similar we all are.

small things get me all the time. especially if its some type of contrast. a beautiful flower growing above the snow line of a mountain. bubbles gently floating through the air. some small aspect of nature. I make sure to find time in a walk to notice those things.

watching spaceX land another booster on a floating platform. even after all the times, watching it just feels like CGI from science fiction movies.

seeing little kids playing together. no matter their lack of shared background, family life, anything. it just shows that hate is taught, and not natural to us.

as an Architect some of the engineering that goes into things. I got to see the world's largest crawler crane in action building Mercedes benz Stadium. the dome of the Pantheon in rome blew me away, while the Colosseum I thought was almost pedestrian.

Reactions: Go aeiou
the most common ones for me are when a song unlocks something in me. some understanding about myself or my situation that I didn't have before. the fact that a connection to a completely arbitrary person, who may not even be the singer, but rather the song writer; can show me so much about myself shows how connected and similar we all are.

small things get me all the time. especially if its some type of contrast. a beautiful flower growing above the snow line of a mountain. bubbles gently floating through the air. some small aspect of nature. I make sure to find time in a walk to notice those things.

watching spaceX land another booster on a floating platform. even after all the times, watching it just feels like CGI from science fiction movies.

seeing little kids playing together. no matter their lack of shared background, family life, anything. it just shows that hate is taught, and not natural to us.

as an Architect some of the engineering that goes into things. I got to see the world's largest crawler crane in action building Mercedes benz Stadium. the dome of the Pantheon in rome blew me away, while the Colosseum I thought was almost pedestrian.
It would be nice if we coul stay little kids forever. At least in our hearts and minds.

As non architect/engineer I'd put The great Pyramid and the Eiffel tower up there too. But, yes that ceiling in the pantheon is beautiful. I use to build custom homes, and built a few with coffered ceilings. Never liked putting lights in them though. OTOH, the customer is always right (as long as it's structurally sound.

Reactions: LouderVol
The humming birds visiting my yard to feed on flowers. The cardinals hanging around. I expect one to say "hi" to me one day.

Reactions: Pennheel
Most of mine have been mentioned in some way or another, but I still have a couple to share.

The love me and my fiancee have for one another leaves me in awe every day. It makes me smile the support we have for one another and the feeling of her being my best friend that I'll spend my life with.

The beauty each and every day when I open the door and the feeling of awe of seeing a mountain and trees that resemble a painting. Living in a region that many can take for granted (Great Smoky Mountains) and knowing that I am blessed where I get to call home. Nature has always been something special to me.

I second the innocence of children especially as I get older. It always brings a smile to my face. It always had.

Any guess on what it might cost to build the pantheon Ceiling today?

Is anything being built in the US or anywhere else that has the beauty of those ancient sites?
I think some(maybe one) of Gaudi's structures are just now being completed?

While watching the Olympics, seeing the parents’ reactions often get to me. I know the feeling of being so proud of your kid, no matter if they win or lose. My kid is not an Olympian, but she just earned a college scholarship offer, and I’m so proud and excited for her!

Any guess on what it might cost to build the pantheon Ceiling today?

Is anything being built in the US or anywhere else that has the beauty of those ancient sites?
I think some(maybe one) of Gaudi's structures are just now being completed?
way, way too much. and it wouldn't be constructed as an actual dome. they would probably prefab ribs and just assemble on site. the lack of highly skilled labor is one of the leading causes to a lot of modern design being a lot less grandiose/detailed as it was.

even extremely basic brick detailing, offsetting individual bricks 1/2" from the others, comes with huge labor mark ups.

A few that immediately spring to mind (other than seeing the Earth as you depicted, from above the clouds):

- the Grand Canyon
- being in the middle of the ocean and realizing how small I really am- swimming in the underwater world with the vast array fish and other life that most of us hardly realize
exists.

- I was on Leconte once at Cliff Tops lookout when clouds came in, poured through a gap in the mountains, and filled the valley like a bowl of cream soup. Words could never describe the beauty and wonder that overtook me

VN Store

Back