Z's SEC Power Rankings Week 2 Version (Get Woke, Auburn)

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee Saturday night."
Staff member
1. Georgia- Nothing about week 2 we learned with the Bulldogs. Still the best team in the country. The question is who is going to beat their undefeated regular season streak? And why do I have a bad feeling it won't be till 2025?

2. Texas- Michigan lost more than any other elite team in the country, but to go in the Big House and thoroughly control that game from start to finish is still impressive. Ewers continues to play like a first round pick and Texas looks quicker on defense. I still have concerns about their secondary in coverage. We will see how they fare in SEC play.

3. Tennessee- As someone who watched both Alabama and Tennessee at the same time, anybody that objectively thinks Alabama is the better team RIGHT NOW, would be lying. Now, it's early and late October is far away. That can definitely change. But who would have thought in year 4 Josh Heupel's team would be built around a suffocating DL and elite running game?

4. Ole Miss- The Heisman is all about playing well in big moments but you still have to put up some big numbers. In other words, if you think Ole Miss is for real, there is some juicy Jaxson Dart Heisman odds at the moment.

5. Alabama- I mentioned this last week and I will mention it again. I'm really surprised how inefficient their passing game considering that is DeBoer's strength and he has a veteran QB and talented WR's. The score indicated Bama dominated but USF had the ball down 8 inside the Bama 10 with less than 8 minutes to go. Kudos for Alabama to put them away but that passing game has got to be fixed quick.

6. Missouri- I know it's against weak competition but Missouri holding two opponents 77 yards passing on 35 attempts in 2024 is not only impressive but hilarious. Brady Cook has been in cruise control and we will see if Missouri is a legit playoff contender this weekend.

7. 10. LSU- Brian Kelly criticizing his QB during the week and saying he didn't play well enough, then his run defense gives up 150 yards to Nicholls State is just classic Brian Kelly. The bigger issue is the loss of John Emery, their most dynamic offensive player. And South Carolina's run defense looks very stingy.

8. South Carolina- Shane Beamer and company still can't throw a pass worth a damn but when you absolutely play full throttle defensively like they did you will win some games. I don't buy they are a top 25 team but that was a solid showing and one Beamer needed after the Week 1 near disaster.

9. Oklahoma- Am I saying it's time to panic about Oklahoma's offense? No. Am I saying that Brent Venables is in trouble? Absolutely not. Am I saying they probably should have forked over more NIL money to keep Dillion Gabriel on board? Yes.

10. Vanderbilt- Hey Clark Lea, I know your excited you have a real QB. I know that coming off a nice Virginia Tech win you deserve some major credit for a complete game from your football team. With that being said, Diego Pavia having 13 carries against Alcorn State is not a good way to protect your QB!

11. Arkansas- There are a lot of tough ways to lose football games. Special team gaffes, bad defense, unable to convert on third down. No one football game is alike. But if my football team put up 648 yards, convert 11-19 on third down and held possession for 37 minutes on the road against a P4 top 25 team and lost, I might have to step down as the head coach. Sam Pittman is a better man than me.

12. Texas A&M- A ho hum buy game against McNeese State, really not much to write about. But boy, that Notre Dame loss looks rough now doesn't it? You had to be thnking "Hey, nice performance, that looked like a bowl team" to "are we going 4-8" really quick.

13. Kentucky- Kentucky gets the long diatribe today and it's about Mark Stoops. I'm not sure there's a more unlikeable college football coach in the SEC not named Brian Kelly right now. Here's a guy who gets an automatic contract extension if he wins 7 games, makes $9M/year for 8-4 seasons and has never made a NY6 bowl or sniff the SEC East. Kentucky isn't a buzzsaw but find me a reason they can't be in Missouri's shoes right now. You can't. And with all of that, Mark Stoops bitches and moan about every little thing, whether it's the fact basketball is more popular, the schedule is hard or how he has to...do his job...and try and keep players from transferring. And then he goes out and puts up a 31-6 stinker against freaking Shane Beamer AT HOME. I would be disgusted if I was a Cats fan right now. He might actually have the easiest job in the SEC and all he does is cry, then cry some more about how hard life is with a $9M/year contract. It's just gross.

14. Florida- I appreciate Billy Napier playing the PR game. "Look guys! My 5* frosh QB threw over 400 yards in his first start! We are saved!" against an overmatched Samford team. With that being said, if Napier goes back to Mertz at any point barring injury to Lagway, he should be shipped to Cuba.

15. Auburn- I know they won't like scoring 14 points against a middling Pac-12 team (checks notes, ahhh ACC I mean) when you have an offensive head coach. Payton Thorne isn't the whole problem but a weird choice to hitch your wagon to at QB. Four interceptions and not once do you think to try someone else? And why is Jarquez Hunter only getting 12 carries? Come on Hugh. Your defense deserved better.

16. Mississippi State- Kudos for trying to comeback in the desert heat and making it a game for Jeff Lebby's team. That's about 50% of the battle in year one, not quitting in games.

1. Georgia- Nothing about week 2 we learned with the Bulldogs. Still the best team in the country. The question is who is going to beat their undefeated regular season streak? And why do I have a bad feeling it won't be till 2025?

2. Texas- Michigan lost more than any other elite team in the country, but to go in the Big House and thoroughly control that game from start to finish is still impressive. Ewers continues to play like a first round pick and Texas looks quicker on defense. I still have concerns about their secondary in coverage. We will see how they fare in SEC play.

3. Tennessee- As someone who watched both Alabama and Tennessee at the same time, anybody that objectively thinks Alabama is the better team RIGHT NOW, would be lying. Now, it's early and late October is far away. That can definitely change. But who would have thought in year 4 Josh Heupel's team would be built around a suffocating DL and elite running game?

4. Ole Miss- The Heisman is all about playing well in big moments but you still have to put up some big numbers. In other words, if you think Ole Miss is for real, there is some juicy Jaxson Dart Heisman odds at the moment.

5. Alabama- I mentioned this last week and I will mention it again. I'm really surprised how inefficient their passing game considering that is DeBoer's strength and he has a veteran QB and talented WR's. The score indicated Bama dominated but USF had the ball down 8 inside the Bama 10 with less than 8 minutes to go. Kudos for Alabama to put them away but that passing game has got to be fixed quick.

6. Missouri- I know it's against weak competition but Missouri holding two opponents 77 yards passing on 35 attempts in 2024 is not only impressive but hilarious. Brady Cook has been in cruise control and we will see if Missouri is a legit playoff contender this weekend.

7. 10. LSU- Brian Kelly criticizing his QB during the week and saying he didn't play well enough, then his run defense gives up 150 yards to Nicholls State is just classic Brian Kelly. The bigger issue is the loss of John Emery, their most dynamic offensive player. And South Carolina's run defense looks very stingy.

8. South Carolina- Shane Beamer and company still can't throw a pass worth a damn but when you absolutely play full throttle defensively like they did you will win some games. I don't buy they are a top 25 team but that was a solid showing and one Beamer needed after the Week 1 near disaster.

9. Oklahoma- Am I saying it's time to panic about Oklahoma's offense? No. Am I saying that Brent Venables is in trouble? Absolutely not. Am I saying they probably should have forked over more NIL money to keep Dillion Gabriel on board? Yes.

10. Vanderbilt- Hey Clark Lea, I know your excited you have a real QB. I know that coming off a nice Virginia Tech win you deserve some major credit for a complete game from your football team. With that being said, Diego Pavia having 13 carries against Alcorn State is not a good way to protect your QB!

11. Arkansas- There are a lot of tough ways to lose football games. Special team gaffes, bad defense, unable to convert on third down. No one football game is alike. But if my football team put up 648 yards, convert 11-19 on third down and held possession for 37 minutes on the road against a P4 top 25 team and lost, I might have to step down as the head coach. Sam Pittman is a better man than me.

12. Texas A&M- A ho hum buy game against McNeese State, really not much to write about. But boy, that Notre Dame loss looks rough now doesn't it? You had to be thnking "Hey, nice performance, that looked like a bowl team" to "are we going 4-8" really quick.

13. Kentucky- Kentucky gets the long diatribe today and it's about Mark Stoops. I'm not sure there's a more unlikeable college football coach in the SEC not named Brian Kelly right now. Here's a guy who gets an automatic contract extension if he wins 7 games, makes $9M/year for 8-4 seasons and has never made a NY6 bowl or sniff the SEC East. Kentucky isn't a buzzsaw but find me a reason they can't be in Missouri's shoes right now. You can't. And with all of that, Mark Stoops bitches and moan about every little thing, whether it's the fact basketball is more popular, the schedule is hard or how he has to...do his job...and try and keep players from transferring. And then he goes out and puts up a 31-6 stinker against freaking Shane Beamer AT HOME. I would be disgusted if I was a Cats fan right now. He might actually have the easiest job in the SEC and all he does is cry, then cry some more about how hard life is with a $9M/year contract. It's just gross.

14. Florida- I appreciate Billy Napier playing the PR game. "Look guys! My 5* frosh QB threw over 400 yards in his first start! We are saved!" against an overmatched Samford team. With that being said, if Napier goes back to Mertz at any point barring injury to Lagway, he should be shipped to Cuba.

15. Auburn- I know they won't like scoring 14 points against a middling Pac-12 team (checks notes, ahhh ACC I mean) when you have an offensive head coach. Payton Thorne isn't the whole problem but a weird choice to hitch your wagon to at QB. Four interceptions and not once do you think to try someone else? And why is Jarquez Hunter only getting 12 carries? Come on Hugh. Your defense deserved better.

16. Mississippi State- Kudos for trying to comeback in the desert heat and making it a game for Jeff Lebby's team. That's about 50% of the battle in year one, not quitting in games.
He doesn't get much attention because it is UK football and a more prominent coach (Dabo) does the same kinds of things, but I don't think Stoops is long for that job in Lexington.

It would not shock me at all if he quit after this season or next. I don't know if Mark feels the same way as his big bro Bob about his family's health history, but Bob stepped away relatively young for that reason. That, combined with his dislike of the modern state of CFB and any continued struggles of his team could push him to just say "the hell with it."

He doesn't get much attention because it is UK football and a more prominent coach (Dabo) does the same kinds of things, but I don't think Stoops is long for that job in Lexington.

It would not shock me at all if he quit after this season or next. I don't know if Mark feels the same way as his big bro Bob about his family's health history, but Bob stepped away relatively young for that reason. That, combined with his dislike of the modern state of CFB and any continued struggles of his team could push him to just say "the hell with it."
I’ll be shocked if Stoops quit unless they guarantee his buyout. Why would any coach quit now with buyouts the way they are.

Kentucky should be dead last.

Oklahoma-I can kind of see(at least at end of last season) why the Sooners were ready to move on from Gabriel.

They were in a comparable situation to what we were in last season-perhaps a bit better honestly

Their all star highly rated QB riding the bench. If they ponied up to keep Gabriel, what happens to that recruit. Does he stick it out or does he move on? He moves on and you better win it all this year because you are screwed next year

Would have kind of been like if the NCAA had announced hear the end of last season that they had found an extra season of eligibility for big Joe. I liked the guy, but it was pretty clearly Nico time

Oklahoma-I can kind of see(at least at end of last season) why the Sooners were ready to move on from Gabriel.

They were in a comparable situation to what we were in last season-perhaps a bit better honestly

Their all star highly rated QB riding the bench. If they ponied up to keep Gabriel, what happens to that recruit. Does he stick it out or does he move on? He moves on and you better win it all this year because you are screwed next year

Would have kind of been like if the NCAA had announced hear the end of last season that they had found an extra season of eligibility for big Joe. I liked the guy, but it was pretty clearly Nico time
Dillon Gabriel is way, way better than Joe Milton. It isn't even close.

Reactions: SpookyAction
Dillon Gabriel is way, way better than Joe Milton. It isn't even close.

I agree, but the situation is comparable.

They kept Gabriel around, what do you think is going to happen to Arnold?

Even if he toughed it out and took the reins in 2025 OU would only get one season out of him if he was good (jury is still open as of now). Not sure how much NIL they invested in the kid, but for one season as starter that most likely would have been a huge number.

Family history, he's already made a mountain of money.
People that have made mountains of money usually don’t run away from making more money. He’s not quitting but he might be tired of it and just put it on cruise control at this point until they remove him from the wheel.

People that have made mountains of money usually don’t run away from making more money. He’s not quitting but he might be tired of it and just put it on cruise control at this point until they remove him from the wheel.
If things go further south, I could see him negotiating a reduced buyout to walk away.

If things go further south, I could see him negotiating a reduced buyout to walk away.
Maybe. Idk the specifics of his contract. If it’s spaced out in payments per year he might elect to take a reduced lump sum to walk away from the mess. He might be content to do just enough to remain employed till they fire him though as well.

Usually not, but again his brother did.

Reactions: Pennheel
Maybe. Idk the specifics of his contract. If it’s spaced out in payments per year he might elect to take a reduced lump sum to walk away from the mess. He might be content to do just enough to remain employed till they fire him though as well.
Coaching to get fired would seem to be a miserable way to live but it probably does happen.

I agree, but the situation is comparable.

They kept Gabriel around, what do you think is going to happen to Arnold?

Even if he toughed it out and took the reins in 2025 OU would only get one season out of him if he was good (jury is still open as of now). Not sure how much NIL they invested in the kid, but for one season as starter that most likely would have been a huge number.
If Gabriel stuck around Arnold probably would have likely transferred, but it isn't like OU would have a lot of trouble pulling in a transfer QB themselves. It's a two-way street.

Coaching to get fired would seem to be a miserable way to live but it probably does happen.
Coaching at Kentucky seems a miserable way to live as well. It’s mind boggling that UK has that Oline on the field. I’m really having a hard time recalling a worse Oline as far as pass protection. Anyone want to weigh in there? I’m sure there’s a few that I’m forgetting but damn they were awful Saturday

Y’all think Wisconsin will make a game of it with Bama?

If Gabriel stuck around Arnold probably would have likely transferred, but it isn't like OU would have a lot of trouble pulling in a transfer QB themselves. It's a two-way street.

All true, but while we only have a small sampling-how often has the "go out and buy us the best one year rental transfer QB money can buy" philosophy worked out for a realistic NC contender in the last few years?

Cam Ward may be the first one I can recall in the NIL area that has actually delivered. Even that may be an if-I'm not sold on Miami yet.

Having a season end and the presumptive next years starting QB not even on the roster yet is a game of chicken I'm not sure I would want to play for very long

All true, but while we only have a small sampling-how often has the "go out and buy us the best one year rental transfer QB money can buy" philosophy worked out for a realistic NC contender in the last few years?

Cam Ward may be the first one I can recall in the NIL area that has actually delivered. Even that may be an if-I'm not sold on Miami yet.

Having a season end and the presumptive next years starting QB not even on the roster yet is a game of chicken I'm not sure I would want to play for very long
Technically it was before the one-time transfer rule was passed, but it worked out pretty well for Ohio St/Justin Fields. He got the waiver. It also worked out great for Washington and Oregon last year.

Last edited:
Technically it was before the one-time transfer rule was passed, but it worked out pretty well for Ohio St/Justin Fields. He got the waiver. It also worked out great for Washington and Oregon last year.

Don't believe that either Penix, Fields, or Nix was a one year rental were they?

Penix went to Washington when DeBoer (his OC at Indiana) got the gig

One year rentals, you are looking (at least the ones I remember)-Hartman, McCall, DJU (both Or St and FSU, etc). Gabriel has also done the one year rental thing twice also. Results at Oregon still TBD. I'm sure there are others out there.

Don't believe that either Penix, Fields, or Nix was a one year rental were they?

Penix went to Washington when DeBoer (his OC at Indiana) got the gig

One year rentals, you are looking (at least the ones I remember)-Hartman, McCall, DJU (both Or St and FSU, etc). Gabriel has also done the one year rental thing twice also. Results at Oregon still TBD. I'm sure there are others out there.
Transfer doesn't necessarily mean rental. Why would a transfer have to be, or necessarily be, a one-year player?

Coaching at Kentucky seems a miserable way to live as well. It’s mind boggling that UK has that Oline on the field. I’m really having a hard time recalling a worse Oline as far as pass protection. Anyone want to weigh in there? I’m sure there’s a few that I’m forgetting but damn they were awful Saturday
they were pretty bad when Will Levis was there. at least one year. I remember we smacked them around a good bit in the trenches. I know one year it seemed like Levis was taken out of every other game because he got injured from a sack or tfl.

they were pretty bad when Will Levis was there. at least one year. I remember we smacked them around a good bit in the trenches. I know one year it seemed like Levis was taken out of every other game because he got injured from a sack or tfl.
Yes. This was worse imo. Idk the stats on how much he got hit or pressured but it was damn near every pass play. Kentucky was backed up in their own endzone kept seven in to protect, Carolina rushed three and hit the QB immediately. That’s inexcusable and a good way to not win a single conference game.

VN Store

Back