2024 Transfer Portal Thread

In my opinion the top 5-6 teams will be
UK, Arky, UT, Texas, Bama. (No order)

Would say A&M, but not sure who they have returning, and not sure on Auburn either.

Yeah I seriously doubt Kentucky is a top 5 team. They don't return anyone of note, they haven't landed any amazing portal players and a good bit of their top class was poached by Cal. Even if Pope turns out to be solid, the results won't be there this year.

Bama, Vols, Texas, Auburn, A&M, Florida, Arkansas are all teams I'd expect to be better than Kentucky they'll be battling for middle of the road in conference play this year I believe.

Yeah I seriously doubt Kentucky is a top 5 team. They don't return anyone of note, they haven't landed any amazing portal players and a good bit of their top class was poached by Cal. Even if Pope turns out to be solid, the results won't be there this year.

Bama, Vols, Texas, Auburn, A&M, Florida, Arkansas are all teams I'd expect to be better than Kentucky they'll be battling for middle of the road in conference play this year I believe.
I chose UK over teams like A&M and Texas just because 1. I haven’t really looked into A&M much, know they got a solid portal center. Texas, not really impressed with, they lost two good players, they picked up Pope, so I guess that’s good, have some decent returners as well.

I’m also basing UK off who they are expected to land.
Butler / Robinson / Brea / Carr / Osobor

PF/Center: Williams off the bench
Can’t deny that’s a pretty strong lineup if they get those guys.

Reactions: hotcypress
Your context is as baffling as your grammar, I have one guy calling me a bama troll for saying this bama team is no better than last year and another poster questioning my board ethics all in one thread…this has been enlightening but hilarious all in one!

This appears to be a very long run-on sentence that's taking place. Also noted not having correct capitalization to start a sentence.

Reactions: TrippieRedd
I chose UK over teams like A&M and Texas just because 1. I haven’t really looked into A&M much, know they got a solid portal center. Texas, not really impressed with, they lost two good players, they picked up Pope, so I guess that’s good, have some decent returners as well.

I’m also basing UK off who they are expected to land.
Butler / Robinson / Brea / Carr / Osobor

PF/Center: Williams off the bench
Can’t deny that’s a pretty strong lineup if they get those guys.

But you have Texas IN your top 5 that I quoted?!

Mark Pope has 1 25 win season in his 9 years and has only made 2 NCAA Tournaments playing in weaker conferences. Just not buying him being successful in year 1.

Reactions: AirForceVol74
This appears to be a very long run-on sentence that's taking place. Also noted not having correct capitalization to start a sentence.
Let’s keep this thread about transfer portal news I’d rather not have to continue defending myself over a couple of posters who got their feelings hurt because I didn’t think bama basketball was a threat…

I look for Gainey to take a big step this year. He made some huge shots last year, and he has gotten through his "freshman" year. If we get Lanier, we are going to be deep at the 1,2 and 3.
At the risk of yet another bad take on my part, I've just got no faith in Gainey taking a "big step" this year. We keep expecting this step forward with every player and while it does sometimes happen, I think it's more reasonable to see players entering their senior seasons as kinda being a known product. Granted he moved up in competition, but his stats(especially shooting percentages) have dropped every season. He's very slight of build and will certainly keep getting pushed around in this league. To my mind, he's not a guy you count on. He's a bench player. Gives you minutes here and there, but not much more. On occasion, he'll be hitting his shot so you roll with him until he cools off.
1714482322949.png

Reactions: spyfish007
1. Games aren’t played on paper. We don’t know how good Alabama is going to be.
2. This is the transfer portal thread lol
ESPN has them as a 1 seed next year, Tennessee as a 5.

Obviously it's just a guess at this point, but I found it interesting.

But you have Texas IN your top 5 that I quoted?!

Mark Pope has 1 25 win season in his 9 years and has only made 2 NCAA Tournaments playing in weaker conferences. Just not buying him being successful in year 1.
Meant to put A&M, like I said in the post above, I know they got a center and some solid returners but that’s it.

Then I meant to put Texas in the not sure because I really don’t know who they have other than Pope.

Was kind of putting thoughts out really quickly. I get your point about his success, but it would take a major **** up to not win with that team IF he gets those guys, that’s just my opinion. Not saying they will be better than us, just expect them to be a good team like usual.

The more I think about it anyways, the more I think a team that kept their players and team together this off season may actually win the conference. We saw how Arkansas did with multiple transfers, now all the teams are doing it. (Most teams got 1 or 2 major transfers last season with maybe 1 or 2 depth guys. This year seems like multiple starter transfers and little depth). Wonder how big team chemistry will play this upcoming season

Meant to put A&M, like I said in the post above, I know they got a center and some solid returners but that’s it.

Then I meant to put Texas in the not sure because I really don’t know who they have other than Pope.

Was kind of putting thoughts out really quickly. I get your point about his success, but it would take a major **** up to not win with that team IF he gets those guys, that’s just my opinion. Not saying they will be better than us, just expect them to be a good team like usual.

The more I think about it anyways, the more I think a team that kept their players and team together this off season may actually win the conference. We saw how Arkansas did with multiple transfers, now all the teams are doing it. (Most teams got 1 or 2 major transfers last season with maybe 1 or 2 depth guys. This year seems like multiple starter transfers and little depth). Wonder how big team chemistry will play this upcoming season

Yeah who knows. I think the smart money is on the best coaches. So Bama, Arkansas, Auburn and Tennessee would be the early favorites. I'd have South Carolina on the list, but I think Meechie Johnson is pretty difficult to replace and Mack/Cooper both graduated. They added Pringle and Butler though so frontcourt should be good for them.

Reactions: TrippieRedd
Tennessee’s success in 2024-25 will depend on:

1) Landing Lanier.
2) the development of Estrella, Carr, and further development of Mashack on offense .

But one thing I think is overlooked….ZZ can get better/more consistent. He was rehabbing his knee all last offseason and really didn’t have a chance to work on his game. He has that opportunity now. And his knee will be stronger in his 2nd year back. Hopefully that means he can avoid those poor shooting nights like he had against Purdue.

A couple of other things I wonder about:

1) Will Barnes try to fix the hitch in Dubar’s shot to make it quicker? Or do you just leave it alone?
2) Will Barnes try to adjust Lanier’s shot so his release is higher? Or do you leave that alone?
About Dubar & Lanier's shot in my opinion you leave it alone because they were two of the most efficient offensive players in the entire country.... And they are not freshmen they are Seniors... Tyrese Haliburton has a ugly shot but he's one of the best three-point shooters in the NBA... I think it's not as much about how pretty or ugly the shot is but it's about what works with your body as well.... Dubar has the height and length and even strength to get his shot off on the perimeter pretty much against anyone... Lanier has a quick shot with the ability to create plenty of space off the dribble. They both will be fine imo. Changing their shots with only one season of college left might not be the best idea... They will be brought in to help with the offense, Seems like the focus from staff would shift more to defense first for them, continued strength training and so on.

1) Will Barnes try to fix the hitch in Dubar’s shot to make it quicker? Or do you just leave it alone?
2) Will Barnes try to adjust Lanier’s shot so his release is higher? Or do you leave that alone?
With them having only one year left, I would think you would leave their shots alone. They both shot the ball at high percentages.

Reactions: Smokey 77
I’ll say this, I’m sure Pope is a decent guy who loves Kentucky but he’s giving me Shane Beamer vibes.

He did good at BYU where the expectations weren’t very high to begin with. Maybe I’m wrong but I think this job might end up being too big for him.

Not to mention his goofy personality will grow old extremely quick with the fanbase if he has similar results in the Tournament like he did at BYU.

Reactions: LaagerVol
Tennessee’s success in 2024-25 will depend on:

1) Landing Lanier.
2) the development of Estrella, Carr, and further development of Mashack on offense .

But one thing I think is overlooked….ZZ can get better/more consistent. He was rehabbing his knee all last offseason and really didn’t have a chance to work on his game. He has that opportunity now. And his knee will be stronger in his 2nd year back. Hopefully that means he can avoid those poor shooting nights like he had against Purdue.

Thanks my dude. Is Lanier a Vol 100%?

Reactions: Ericvol2096
Any chance we go after Okpara’s brother? He just entered the portal as a sophomore from Harvard averaging 16.5ppg 6rpg 2apg. Hes a 6’8” wing who shot 34% from 3 this past year.

Reactions: VolOnthePlains
Any chance we go after Okpara’s brother? He just entered the portal as a sophomore from Harvard averaging 16.5ppg 6rpg 2apg. Hes a 6’8” wing who shot 34% from 3 this past year.

Between our board and where our needs fall, I highly doubt it

VN Store

Back