A.D. Danny White; discussion thread

I don’t have anything against her. It was just an ill advised move and was propped up by NIL to make it seem like a smart one. Give it to the former coach and we’re in, at worst, the same position, if not better.

NIL doesn’t negate poor in game decisions and game management by a coach.

NIL doesn’t negate poor in game decisions and game management by a coach.
Everyone goes to Cardoso’s only 3pt make of her career to justify her in game coaching. Again, if they call the travel on the rebound after Powell’s missed FTs, then game over and we’re singing her praises for being the only team to beat South Carolina. Fickle.

What makes you think a big name coach would walk thru the door if the program has more failure? They already wouldn't when we were winning 20 games a year and getting to S16s. IMO you are completely wrong. This program will really struggle if this experiment goes wrong. Hopefully that won't happen.
What makes you think we were even looking at them?When all we were hearing were tennessee alumn

What makes you think a big name coach would walk thru the door if the program has more failure? They already wouldn't when we were winning 20 games a year and getting to S16s. IMO you are completely wrong. This program will really struggle if this experiment goes wrong. Hopefully that won't happen.
This! We were turned down in this search as a continual tourney team. If for some reason we don't improve (hoping we do), then it will be even harder next time around. Who knows though truly what we were willing to offer in this search.

This! We were turned down in this search as a continual tourney team. If for some reason we don't improve (hoping we do), then it will be even harder next time around. Who knows though truly what we were willing to offer in this search.

It's pretty clear that White was not too interested in pursuing established coaches--and why would be my question. We've hired 3 coaches since Summitt retired--and not one of them had a background close to the status of our women's program. Doesn't mean Caldwell won't succeed--she certainly could--but so far we've been in "you get what you pay for" territory.

It's pretty clear that White was not too interested in pursuing established coaches--and why would be my question. We've hired 3 coaches since Summitt retired--and not one of them had a background close to the status of our women's program. Doesn't mean Caldwell won't succeed--she certainly could--but so far we've been in "you get what you pay for" territory.
That's true as far as it goes, but I don't think it goes far enough. For me, the essence of Pat Summit's legacy boils down to EIGHT national championships. So to restore that legacy we want national championships, and nothing less. So I would first want a coach who has won at least one of them. But they are happy at their schools. So then you look at coaches who have come close a number of times but never won one. For me, I don't want one of those, because a) they probably won't ever win one, and if they do, it'll be just one, and b) they will want more money than they're worth. That leaves trying to define from the rest who might win multiple championships, & hire her on the way up.

It's a risk, but worth it if we consider the options.

That's true as far as it goes, but I don't think it goes far enough. For me, the essence of Pat Summit's legacy boils down to EIGHT national championships. So to restore that legacy we want national championships, and nothing less. So I would first want a coach who has won at least one of them. But they are happy at their schools. So then you look at coaches who have come close a number of times but never won one. For me, I don't want one of those, because a) they probably won't ever win one, and if they do, it'll be just one, and b) they will want more money than they're worth. That leaves trying to define from the rest who might win multiple championships, & hire her on the way up.

The way I look at this is...If Danny had hired a Mulkey or Staley as the first "out of the "Tn Tree" and they failed,,,The LV influentials would have made it impossible for him to look outside of the tree again...Since he took his first opportunity to do so on D1 virtual "unknown" it keeps the door open for a future "known" coach,,,brilliant in my mind

Plus his venture is well thought out, in that who he took a chance on is unmistakably apt at what she has done to this point and a very good "calculated risk...a smart business move,,,very smart

You make a lot of crazy assumptions here that have no basis in reality.

Reactions: glv98
The way I look at this is...If Danny had hired a Mulkey or Staley as the first "out of the "Tn Tree" and they failed,,,The LV influentials would have made it impossible for him to look outside of the tree again...Since he took his first opportunity to do so on D1 virtual "unknown" it keeps the door open for a future "known" coach,,,brilliant in my mind

Plus his venture is well thought out, in that who he took a chance on is unmistakably apt at what she has done to this point and a very good "calculated risk...a smart business move,,,very smart
Your post raises an interesting question of what will count as a successful first season for CKC. Up to this point, I had been thinking she would be graded on a curve but now i am not so sure.

To explain, had DW hired a Walz or a Freese or even a Brooks. I think the expectation would have been that the new coach would bring in the needed new additions and take the team to a better place. And that would mean seriously contending for a conference title (finishing no worse than 2nd or maybe 3rd), getting to the SEC tourney final, and making it it to the elite 8. A mid pack finish and another S16, would raise questions about what was really gained? The other qualifying factor would be if the new coach signed a great incoming high school class and then everyone feel that the new coach is moving the program forward but just a needs a little more time.

Given the high risk high reward nature of the CKC hire, I think there is pressure for her to actually do better then KJH either in terms of actual team results or the HS recruiting front. I think she has done very well in the portal, given the circumstances, but if it stays as is, there is no reason to believe that KJH and team would have not done as well or better. I keep using the term "under the circumstances" to reflect that CKC is coming from Marshall with just one year of D1 coaching experience. But White hired CKC on the grounds that she is a superstar in the making who we needed to get before, who knows Uconn hires her as Geno's replacement. So if White's assessment is in fact accurate, there should be no "under the circumstances" caveats for her. She has to deliver some tangible improvements in the now and as White said, we are not on a five year plan. I had thought that statement was more hyperbole that an actual expectation but he may well have meant it quite literally.

Last edited:
Your post raises an interesting question of what will count as a successful first season for CKC. Up to this point, I had been thinking she would be graded on a curve but now i am not so sure.

To explain, had DW hired a Walz or a Freese or even a Brooks. I think the expectation would have been that the new coach would bring in the needed new additions and take the team to a better place. And that would mean seriously contending for a conference title (finishing no worse than 2nd or maybe 3rd), getting to the SEC tourney final, and making it it to the elite 8. A mid pack finish and another S16, would raise questions about what was really gained? The other qualifying factor would be if the new coach signed a great incoming high school class and then everyone feel that the new coach is moving the program forward but just a needs a little more time.

Given the high risk high reward nature of the CKC hire, I think there is pressure for her to actually do better then KJH either in terms of actual team results or the HS recruiting front. I think she has done very well in the portal, given the circumstances, but if it stays as is, there is no reason to believe that KJH and team would have not done as well or better. I keep using the term "under the circumstances" to reflect that CKC is coming from Marshall with just one year of D1 coaching experience. But White hired CKC on the grounds that she is a superstar in the making who we needed to get before, who knows Uconn hires her as Geno's replacement. So if that White's assessment is in fact accurate, there should be no "under the circumstances" caveats for her. She has to deliver some tangible improvements in the now and as White said, where not on a five year plan. I had thought that statement was more hyperbole but he may well have meant it quite literally.
I think DW feels that KJH left a marginal roster and CKC is the type of coach that can elevate a less talented team…. I didn’t like CKJH hire bc i felt she had proven to be a decent but non-elite coach. She still deserved 3-4 years to prover herself. CKC deserves the same time frame unless the bottom falls out of the program. I’m very excited about her and think that DW made an excellent hire. She still has to prove it on the court though.

I think DW feels that KJH left a marginal roster and CKC is the type of coach that can elevate a less talented team…. I didn’t like CKJH hire bc i felt she had proven to be a decent but non-elite coach. She still deserved 3-4 years to prover herself. CKC deserves the same time frame unless the bottom falls out of the program. I’m very excited about her and think that DW made an excellent hire. She still has to prove it on the court though.
Fair point but on the other hand, that is not what White said in his introductory press conference. In fact, he clearly talked about competing for titles now!!!!!

I had been taking those statements with a proverbial grain of salt but what if he really meant what he said?

Why are so many confused with supply and demand? Do you think the University should not raise prices when demand to pay more exists?

VN Store

Back