Bob Kesling inducted in Tennessee radio HoF

I am very critical of Bob and a ton of it is completely justified. That said, I do congratulate him on his accomplishments and accolades.

I am unapologetically critical of him and stay frustrated while listening to him not give the score, or time left for 10 minute stretches or more and many other mishaps.

Maybe we can get Bob Menery, all vols games would be rated NSFW for kids
If anyone doesn't know about him, he takes videos and does voice overs that are funny, atleast to me

Bob is a good man, spent a few evenings with him at events and he truly loves the University of Tennessee.
I don't think I've ever heard anyone discredit his character or his love for our University. And, I'm certainly not trying to do that with my comments. He's just not a good announcer for UT football.

People love to talk **** about Bob but as a Vol fan he's really all I've ever known. And it will be a sad and surreal day when he isn't calling the game. And chances are we will replace him with someone worse and Bob will become the next Ward.
It's not personal. He's just a sub par commentator, that's all. I mean he is what he is. He was the heir apparent to John Ward, the natural progression. He's the "Holly Warlick" of Tennessee Sports announcers. I just hope when Bob finally does retire, we make a better, more competent hire.

Last edited:
Well that was quite a moment. And Nobody could follow the great John Ward. He was a once in a lifetime gift to all Tennessee Fans, and there can be no comparison to the Legend. Bob does his best, and that's all we can ask. Congrats Mr. Kesling! A well deserved honor!
Pretty much spot on.

I didn’t think Kesling was great but him following Ward made it impossible for him to be great.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
His is one of those jobs that, once you've attained it, you really can't lose it for job performance. The only way to lose it is to do something illegal, immoral, or something deemed insensitive by some population. I think BK has never had the talent to be the Voice of the Vols. He was just in the right place at the right time.

People love to talk **** about Bob but as a Vol fan he's really all I've ever known. And it will be a sad and surreal day when he isn't calling the game. And chances are we will replace him with someone worse and Bob will become the next Ward.
Okay, let’s pump the brakes a bit on that last statement.

It's not personal. He's just a sub par commentator, that's all. I mean he is what he is. He was the air apparent to John Ward, the natural progression. He's the "Holly Warlick" of Tennessee Sports announcers. I just hope when Bob finally does retire, we make a better, more competent hire.
This is actually a great analogy. The difference is that coaches lose their jobs with 100% certainty if they are not good. Announcers almost never do.

This is actually a great analogy. The difference is that coaches lose their jobs with 100% certainty if they are not good. Announcers almost never do.

Here's what I wonder, are there actually enough people out there who still consume college football games via radio to even matter? I know I almost never listen to games anymore and it's not entirely because of Bob Kessling (though that's part of it). A large part of it is because technology pretty much allows every game to be watched now. If I'm home, I'm watching it on my TV. If I'm somewhere else during a game, I can stream it from my phone. The only time I might tune in on the radio is if I'm driving while a game is in progress but that is so infrequent.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
Here's what I wonder, are there actually enough people out there who still consume college football games via radio to even matter? I know I almost never listen to games anymore and it's not entirely because of Bob Kessling (though that's part of it). A large part of it is because technology pretty much allows every game to be watched now. If I'm home, I'm watching it on my TV. If I'm somewhere else during a game, I can stream it from my phone. The only time I might tune in on the radio is if I'm driving while a game is in progress but that is so infrequent.
Good point. Bob Kesling not being good at his job likely doesn't cost the university money, and even if he does, it would be insignificant and difficult to quantify. The football and basketball teams don't lose supporters because of him. A bad coach on the other hand . . .

His is one of those jobs that, once you've attained it, you really can't lose it for job performance. The only way to lose it is to do something illegal, immoral, or something deemed insensitive by some population. I think BK has never had the talent to be the Voice of the Vols. He was just in the right place at the right time.
Agree, he has been terrible as voice of the Vols.

Reactions: brockytop
I can pretty much promise you.....This won't happen. Mentioning Kesling and John Ward in the same sentence is blasphemy ! No wonder so many on this board can't stand you.
The thing John Ward had was Magic. Very few have it. Maybe 20 guys in the History of sports broadcasting have had the Voice, Delivery, Intellect, and the ability to make you feel what was happening.... Poor Bob just didn't make the most out of all those tapes........

Reactions: JustFunnN'Orange

VN Store

Back