Bob Kesling inducted in Tennessee radio HoF

It's not personal. He's just a sub par commentator, that's all. I mean he is what he is. He was the air apparent to John Ward, the natural progression. He's the "Holly Warlick" of Tennessee Sports announcers. I just hope when Bob finally does retire, we make a better, more competent hire.
Air apparent?

Lots of folks getting their panties in a wad on this thread.

Some like Bumbling Bob. Good for you. I personally don't enjoy mediocrity. Bob is a poor performer at his job. Doesn't matter who he followed. He's had over 25 years to improve and has gotten worse at times.

1. Gets calls wrong
2. Notorious for not knowing names
3. Not good at indicating time remaining
4. Awful at where the ball is on the field
5. Not exciting at all
6. "What a turn of events" during one of the most exciting plays in TN history.
7. Inaccurate on describing the play (watch highlights with Bumbling Bob voiceover)

We can keep going on. Previous poster nailed it. Longevity must be a factor... He certainly wasn't inducted for quality.

Last edited:
Congrats Bob! Well deserved! He did the impossible, he stepped in after a legend retired. Thats hard to do! He will always be a VFL! With that being said, its also past time that he retired and let a new face lead the volnetwork.

Speaking of Media. I was watching one of the daily UT football shows(Don't remember which on because I watch most of them). Anyway, Jimmy Hymel was on as a guest. He said he disagreed with Heupel's statement that this is the deepest his team has been. He said defensive line and WR yes, but the rest no. He thought the 2022 team was deeper. Hmmmm!🤔

Speaking of Media. I was watching one of the daily UT football shows(Don't remember which on because I watch most of them). Anyway, Jimmy Hymel was on as a guest. He said he disagreed with Heupel's statement that this is the deepest his team has been. He said defensive line and WR yes, but the rest no. He thought the 2022 team was deeper. Hmmmm!🤔
4uB9AR.gif

Reactions: overseasorange2
Did I turn the tv down and listen to John Ward, damn right I did. Do I do the same with Bob, absolutely not. Bob is not a good football play by play guy but he loves the University of Tennessee so congratulations Bob and GBO!

Reactions: Stacmot
Gonna go out on a limb here and say CRJ was a far better baseball player than Kesling is broadcaster.
That's not much of a limb.

That's the same as saying "I'm going to go out on a limb and say Peyton Manning was a better QB than Uncle Rico"

Bottom line... Bumbling Bob needs to retire.

Reactions: brockytop
Did I turn the tv down and listen to John Ward, damn right I did. Do I do the same with Bob, absolutely not. Bob is not a good football play by play guy but he loves the University of Tennessee so congratulations Bob and GBO!
It didn't bother you how far behind the play Ward was? Radio alone, was was fantastic, but paired with TV he's saying "he's churning and the 10, breaks a tackle at the 8, down to the 5,4,3,2,1" after the guy has scored and already handed the ball to the ref.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
It didn't bother you how far behind the play Ward was? Radio alone, was was fantastic, but paired with TV he's saying "he's churning and the 10, breaks a tackle at the 8, down to the 5,4,3,2,1" after the guy has scored and already handed the ball to the ref.
No... Because John Ward made it exciting. It was enjoyable to just listen to him.

I'd rather listen to play that is 10 seconds behind but exciting versus someone calling the wrong description, wrong names, and dull, etc

No... Because John Ward made it exciting. It was enjoyable to just listen to him.

I'd rather listen to play that is 10 seconds behind but exciting versus someone calling the wrong description, wrong names, and dull, etc
I didn't really mean it as a comparison to Kesling in any way. Loved Ward when radio was the only option but it was just distracting to me when paired with TV.

Granted, his job wasn't to be a TV announcer but a radio announcer and he was great at it.

I personally don’t think Bob is to bad at calling basketball games. Football on the other hand, I quit listening to him years ago. Sounds very uninterested. Like others has said when John Ward was calling games I would turn down tv and listen to the radio. I can’t stomach listening to Bob

VN Store

Back