Coach Kellie Harper

Do you want Coach Harper to return or hire new Coach?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Volfan2012

Just a quick poll to see how this board stands on whether Coach Harper should return as coach or we should go in a different direction. On facebook looks like the support is more for her to return than to be fired. I would say there about 70 to 30 for return. Will be informative to know how this board feels about her staying or leaving.

My own personal view is return based on the potential for a top ten 2025 class which may or may not develop. I know were in one players top two and Brooks who to me is a top ten in the 2025 class is already a commit. I also base my vote on the expectations that there will be some upgrades of the roster through the portal mainly post players and an elite point guard. If none of this happens then my vote would change, but this is about right now. You only get one vote so consider your choice carefully. Thanks for participating.

The only reason she’s getting any support is because she’s a former lady vol look at her record of win on ranked teams and that should tell the story why she should be fired after 5 years 12 wins 35 losses should get DW’s attention real quick

Kellie re-recruited Jordan Horston, a PG out of high school and #2 player in her class. Jordan could have gone anywhere when Holly was fired, but Kellie convinced her to stay at Tennessee. Next season there's going to be some premier guard play with Talaysia Cooper eligible. She is the real deal, and she has 3 years of eligibility. Boyd and Destinee Wells will be back, and hopefully Spear returns. Nyla Brooks arrives the following year, again a top talent. Will it be a walk in the park? No - parity in the game has changed all that, and no win is a given for any team. South Carolina is presumed to be the team that will win it all, and they are incredible. But I believe that even their coach knows it's possible for them to lose.

Without knowing how we stack up against LSU, South Carolina, etc. regarding NIL I don’t think anyone can make an informed decision regarding recruiting (high school and portal).
She has had injuries to key players and had to form basically a new team with many new players coming in through the portal so I will give her credit for that.
I do question her choice of who and when to put in players, game fundamentals like rebounding and some players appear to be standing in one spot. Doesn’t seem to confront players for poor performance, etc..
White is not going to fire her this year…

I predict Harper comes back and next year is more of the same and possibly a little worse.

Fans of the LVs want this program to be a top 5, at worst top 10 team that competes for the SEC title and FF/E8 spots. Those won't happen under Harper. She's had 5 years and while she hasn't been all bad there is seemingly no progress towards those goals. I don't think another year changes her results no matter who she brings in from the portal.

Also I agree, who would step into this situation? I see some great coaches out there but would many of them leave their current situations? Probably not unless significant money was thrown their way and frankly the department doesn't appear to put as much of an emphasis on WBB as before.

I predict Harper comes back and next year is more of the same and possibly a little worse.

Fans of the LVs want this program to be a top 5, at worst top 10 team that competes for the SEC title and FF/E8 spots. Those won't happen under Harper. She's had 5 years and while she hasn't been all bad there is seemingly no progress towards those goals. I don't think another year changes her results no matter who she brings in from the portal.

Also I agree, who would step into this situation? I see some great coaches out there but would many of them leave their current situations? Probably not unless significant money was thrown their way and frankly the department doesn't appear to put as much of an emphasis on WBB as before.
Danny White may have a short list and I wouldn’t rule out a young and up and comer type coach. That’s probably what it would have to be. We know what we have with KJH. If Tennessee wants “good”.. keep her. I think the Lady Vols brand deserves better.

Danny White may have a short list and I wouldn’t rule out a young and up and comer type coach. That’s probably what it would have to be. We know what we have with KJH. If Tennessee wants “good”.. keep her. I think the Lady Vols brand deserves better.
An up and comer would not be better. And Harper is staying at least another year unless she chooses not to. Fix NIL instead.

Outside the established proven title winners, Tennessee is a ideal job . The situation, is the greatest athletic department currently in college sports. A coach with less will see the situation at Tennessee as what they need as a coach. The right hire overcomes Kellies perceived challenges.

The right one would be. Danny White just has to make the right hire. I believe he can. KJH isn’t the answer, with or without NIL.
Kellie had no equity as a good to great recruiter before she arrived. Now fans are led to believe she somehow forgot how to land kids. I have more faith in DW with the hire than I do in the staff winning.

This is what I see happening as well, although unless they work some portal magic, I can see them falling further in the SEC pack next year with OU and Texas joining, and Alabama and Ole Miss bringing pretty much everyone back. But they will still probably be just good enough to make the tournament again, so the cycle will continue. Even if they do get a top transfer, I don't think they will get rewarded with a preseason ranking, and will likely need to prove themselves before getting votes.

I think the reality is that Kellie has probably hit her ceiling as a coach, and the program has hit their high point already under her leadership.

Last edited:
Just a quick poll to see how this board stands on whether Coach Harper should return as coach or we should go in a different direction. On facebook looks like the support is more for her to return than to be fired. I would say there about 70 to 30 for return. Will be informative to know how this board feels about her staying or leaving.

My own personal view is return based on the potential for a top ten 2025 class which may or may not develop. I know were in one players top two and Brooks who to me is a top ten in the 2025 class is already a commit. I also base my vote on the expectations that there will be some upgrades of the roster through the portal mainly post players and an elite point guard. If none of this happens then my vote would change, but this is about right now. You only get one vote so consider your choice carefully. Thanks for participating.
I seldom watch women's basketball, but I will normally check the results. Honestly, there hasn't been any improvement over Holly's tenure, so I suspect the administration, which is very much geared toward winning championships, will have to make a decision this off season.

I seldom watch women's basketball, but I will normally check the results. Honestly, there hasn't been any improvement over Holly's tenure, so I suspect the administration, which is very much geared toward winning championships, will have to make a decision this off season.
Unfortunately, your status of “normally check the results”’will be demonized here by those who attack drive by fans. The site is warming up to the fact the Tennessee brand is an allegiance of millions.

Unfortunately, your status of “normally check the results”’will be demonized here by those who attack drive by fans. The site is warming up to the fact the Tennessee brand is an allegiance of millions.
I used to watch the games, even attended some games, but my wife is not a fan of basketball, so to avoid any chance of conflict, I don't watch. If it's on a network that I have, I try to record it and watch the next morning while she is in bed. Tryin' to keep the peace, ya know?

Time for a change, just don’t think DW will pull the trigger this year. But if something (someone talented and tall) big doesn’t happen out of the portal, next year will be a train wreck.

Reactions: Deebowbear
I used to watch the games, even attended some games, but my wife is not a fan of basketball, so to avoid any chance of conflict, I don't watch. If it's on a network that I have, I try to record it and watch the next morning while she is in bed. Tryin' to keep the peace, ya know?
Majority of the fans are where your at. Fan in my book.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigorangepoppa
This is what I see happening as well, although unless they work some portal magic, I can see them falling further in the SEC pack next year with OU and Texas joining, and Alabama and Ole Miss bringing pretty much everyone back.
Ole Miss loses at least two starters in Marquesha Davis (their leading scorer) and Rita Igbokwe (second in rebounding, team leader in FG% and blocks). They also lose Singleton, who's started 11 games. I'm assuming KK Deans is redshirting or she's otherwise out of eligibility. All of their other starters are seniors who could use their COVID year (Scott, Todd-Williams, Collins) but I haven't read anything if they plan to come back or not.

You might be right about Alabama. They have three senior starters who can all use their COVID year (Nye, McQueen, Barker), but I haven't read anything about them either.

As an outsider who has read posts about Kellie all season, and also made comments about her coaching, I believe she should get another year. To be a good coach some things are required from them.
- Their job is to make their players better, so when they graduate, they are better players and better people than when they came in as a freshman.
- Their job is to mold the players into one unit that can function on their own on the floor, where they know what each teammate is thinking and the tendencies and abilities that each player possesses.

If she survives, she has to make major changes to her staff. High school players aren't coming, so how can she teach and make players better? Players in the portal have been coached out at this point. They are not going to learn good defense unless they were already good at it. The are not going to change how they function offensively. Living and dying by the portal results in choppy play, sometimes trying to mix personalities that really don't mix. GET a recruiter that can really do the job. I believe the assistants have been here a few years, yet who have they drawn to Tennessee that can make an impact. Even if the high school players aren't in the top 50, a good coach and staff can mold these kids into a good team. You guys don't deserve to have the stress each summer, waiting to see who Kellie can get from the portal. Get rid of Jon, get rid of Sam (who was supposed to be a great recruiter ), get new blood, and try to lure assistants from great programs who know how to do this. That may be tough because those coaches may have aspirations of moving up in the near future. Regardless, changes must be made to show the administration and fans that she can do this. If Kellie wants to survive, she has to make tough decisions, but isn't that what a great coach does? If she stays pat, then this will definitely be her last year.

All i know is that KJH better get some good recruits, or thansfer portal players, because the Lady Vols are losing a lot of players being seniors. R. Jackson is the biggest lost.

Reactions: franklinboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back