Question About ESPN+

WoodsmanVol

It takes wisdom to understand wisdom.
Shirley and I are strongly considering dropping Netflix and signing up for HULU Disney Bundle ESPN+. Primarily for watching SEC games featuring the Vols.
But also to appease Shirley, as she is more of a movie watcher than I. My question is for folks who access ESPN+. Are you able to watch all Vols games played during the season?
Any advice, cautions, or suggestions?

Last edited:
Shirley you can't be serious?

giphy.gif

Shirley and are strongly considering dropping Netflix and signing up for HULU Disney Bundle ESPN+. Primarily for watching SEC games featuring the Vols.
But also to appease Shirley, as she is more of a movie watcher than I. My question is for folks who access ESPN+. Are you able to watch all Vols games played during the season?
I have watched every Tennessee game this year that was not on ESPN or SEC Network on the ESPN app. The exception is the tournament in Texas that was only on Flo Sports and the Tennessee vs. Lipscomb was blacked out for me.

I have Hulu with Disney+ and love it but I don’t receive ESPN+. How do I get it? Never mind. Figured it out.

I have watched every Tennessee game this year that was not on ESPN or SEC Network on the ESPN app. The exception is the tournament in Texas that was only on Flo Sports and the Tennessee vs. Lipscomb was blacked out for me.
Via your HULU Bundle subscription?

Reactions: TnScooby
Almost no Tennessee games end up on ESPN+.

Yeah. Just to clarify, ESPN+ will give you access to one football game per year at most (a handful of basketball games, too, and a lot of midweek baseball games). Anything airing on ESPN+ is going to be OOC against smaller competition. You will be unable to watch games airing on ESPN, SECN or ABC through the ESPN app without a cable or comparable subscription to those channels.

Baseball mainly, but it works well on the road or staying somewhere that doesn’t have ESPN on the TV.

Isn’t there one football game that’s not televised every year?

Reactions: Smokey19rt
I paid the $110 annual subscription for ESPN+ soon after baseball started in February and have seen every Tennessee game thus far except for the FloWhatever broadcast at the beginning of the year. I‘ve also watched all the softball games as well. I‘m very happy so far and only wish I has signed up many seasons ago.

Shirley and are strongly considering dropping Netflix and signing up for HULU Disney Bundle ESPN+. Primarily for watching SEC games featuring the Vols.
You can watch a lot more then you can without it.

Your live television service provider would need to have espn and sec network to maximize the coverage, in this case HULU - you link the two accounts in the espn app.
Example: I was able to watch all three games in the recent baseball series with UF. Without espn+ I would have only been able to watch the one on sec network (had it been played) that was postponed.

I was able to watch a lot more basketball and 100% of the football games, picking up the smaller school non conference games that they don't put on the prime networks through the app. The convenience of being able to watch on your phone if you are on the go or on your computer if at work is great too, if you can't always be in front of your television come game time.

Caveat: I don't live in the Knoxville area or even in east Tennessee, so I don't know what the "blackout" situation is there.

I've watched a ton of games through the app that I would have otherwise missed through conventional methods. I suppose where you live could be a factor, but from my perspective this statement is not true.

EDIT: I am referring to all UT sports, where you might be referring to only football. If that's the case you can pick up the small school non conference games through the app (+one or two), but yes, most UT football games are broadcast on one of the prime networks. If you only watch UT football, than absolutely, you'll only add one, maybe two games.

Last edited:
Reactions: WoodsmanVol
No. Just via the ESPN app.
Thanks
If that's the case, that's that.
Yeah. Just to clarify, ESPN+ will give you access to one football game per year at most (a handful of basketball games, too, and a lot of midweek baseball games). Anything airing on ESPN+ is going to be OOC against smaller competition. You will be unable to watch games airing on ESPN, SECN or ABC through the ESPN app without a cable or comparable subscription to those channels.
Thank you. Very helpful info.

PLEASE DON'T SPREAD MISINFORMATION!! You are 100% WRONG about this. I personally watched all of the men's and women's basketball games, Vol baseball and softball games on ESPN+. I watched the Orange and White game on ESPN+. If a game is not on a major network it is always on ESPN+. They also keep replays of games if you miss them for about 24 hours or so if you happen to not be able to watch a game when it is played. The only games that have not been shown are the early season one or two games carried on FloSports already mentioned. ESPN+ even carries all of the mid week baseball and softball games as well as the early season cupcake men's and women's basketball games.

The cost is about $10 or so a month and is well worth is to me. I don't have the total Disney package and don't have to watch all of that garbage so I just subscribe to ESPN+.

Reactions: Halph66
OK I am confused by this thread. I have Knoxville Comcast and get SEC+ as part of my package and don’t miss many games. Voice remote speeds it up by a lot. See the ESPN+ menu but don’t covet much on there.

If I dropped cable TV, could I just buy SEC+? I use the replays a lot during old guy insomnia periods.

Thanks in advance.

PLEASE DON'T SPREAD MISINFORMATION!! You are 100% WRONG about this. I personally watched all of the men's and women's basketball games, Vol baseball and softball games on ESPN+. I watched the Orange and White game on ESPN+. If a game is not on a major network it is always on ESPN+. They also keep replays of games if you miss them for about 24 hours or so if you happen to not be able to watch a game when it is played. The only games that have not been shown are the early season one or two games carried on FloSports already mentioned. ESPN+ even carries all of the mid week baseball and softball games as well as the early season cupcake men's and women's basketball games.

The cost is about $10 or so a month and is well worth is to me. I don't have the total Disney package and don't have to watch all of that garbage so I just subscribe to ESPN+.

This is untrue. The only basketball games viewable via ESPN+ as your sole source of content this past season were Tennessee Tech, Wofford, George Mason and Tarleton State.

I promise you that if a game was aired OTA on ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU/SECN that attempting to watch it with just your ESPN+ subscription would result in failure. Conversely, you do not need an ESPN+ subscription to stream OTA games nor to watch the four aforementioned contests if you have the channels as even the ESPN+ games were also aired on SECN+ which is something you can access if SECN is part of your cable package.

The only Tennessee game that I can recall (I'm sure there have been others) which absolutely required ESPN+ was the neutral site basketball game against Washington in Toronto back in 2019.

So there is a lot of conflicting information here. I will probably just muck it up more, but after a lot of research and trial and error here is what I have found.

You have to separate ESPN+ from SEC+. A lot of UT games that are streamable via the ESPN+ app are actually SEC+ games and a subscription to ESPN+ is not required (i.e. baseball softball) as long as SEC+ is part of your cable package with your provider.

An ESPN+ subscription IS required to watch games ONLY ON ESPN+ and ESPN+ exclusive content (i.e. Peyton's places). If the game is on cable TV and is also being steamed on the ESPN+ app then all you need to do is enter your cable provider info on the ESPN+ app and you can still watch without an ESPN+ subscription. Obviously there are not too many UT games ONLY streaming on ESPN+, most are on cable or the SEC+. Hope this helps a little with clarification.

If you don't have a cable plan that includes espn and sec network, espn+ is not very good (speaking football only). Just having espn+ does NOT grant you Sec+. You must sign in with your cable provider on espn+ to access that. If you do have a tv provider that has those 2 channels, espn+ is nice. But as a standalone, you'll be disappointed come football season.

Reactions: ATCVolinmn

You are incorrect if reviewing the situation exclusively through a prism of ESPN+ without additional content access like ESPN app or SEC+. PLEASE STOP SPREADING MISINFORMATION.

VN Store

Back