Question About ESPN+

Unless you are subscribed to a live streaming or cable provider that gives you ESPN channels and SECN, you will not be able to view those games on the ESPN app. ESPN+ and SECN+ are two completely different things. To view SECN+ you have to be subscribed to a service that provides SECN. Eventually there will be a direct to consumer service for sports with a lot of the big networks (minus CBS and NBC) but they are having to jump through all the legal hoops to get it approved and up and running. Hopefully sometime by the end of this year or worst case next year.

I paid the $110 annual subscription for ESPN+ soon after baseball started in February and have seen every Tennessee game thus far except for the FloWhatever broadcast at the beginning of the year. I‘ve also watched all the softball games as well. I‘m very happy so far and only wish I has signed up many seasons ago.
Same. Baseball/softball are pretty much the only reason I have ESPN+. But I also have YouTube tv so I’m not sure if that affects what all I’m able to watch. Reading through this thread has me confused.

You are incorrect if reviewing the situation exclusively through a prism of ESPN+ without additional content access like ESPN app or SEC+. PLEASE STOP SPREADING MISINFORMATION.
I have an ESPN+ account only and I see nearly all of the UT games. So I don't know where you get your information, but I watch them all the time. I plan to watch the UT vs Queens game tomorrow night on ESPN+ and the games with Vandy this weekend on ESPN+ if not carried by a regular network like ESPN, ESPNU, ESPN2 or the SEC Network. If you can't figure it out that is your problem.

If you don't have a cable plan that includes espn and sec network, espn+ is not very good (speaking football only). Just having espn+ does NOT grant you Sec+. You must sign in with your cable provider on espn+ to access that. If you do have a tv provider that has those 2 channels, espn+ is nice. But as a standalone, you'll be disappointed come football season.
Since most Vols football games are televised on a major network I rarely watch it on ESPN+ because I have DISH network and reception is much better. However, there was one game, don't remember the one, last year that was not on a major network that I did watch on ESPN+. I also watched the OW game on ESPN+ live this year. I also watch every mens and womens basketball, baseball and softball games even the cupcake BB and midweek BB and SB games. I pay $10.99/month for ESPN+ only. The cost to me is absolutely worth it and I don't have to watch the Disney garbage.

I don't have ESPN+ and I haven't missed a single UT game with a cable sub to ESPN/SECN. The only thing I've been frozen out on were a couple of Bruins games that got yanked from the Hockey package in favor of ESPN+, thats it.

A lot of noise, bottom line with Hulu Live TV and ESPN+ bundle you will have access to all Tennessee game being broadcast.

There will be some SEC non-conference football games on ESPN+, so it better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Also as Hulu Live TV subscriber you will not be subject to the removal of service of ESPN/ABC programming during contract disputes since it belongs to Disney.

Last edited:
I have base HULU (not live) / Disney+ / ESPN+ and CANNOT watch any UT games (thus far, basketball and football) because they typically come on SECN+, even mid-week non-conf baseball games are on SECN+ and I am unable to watch. Basically I don’t even use ESPN+ because it SUCKS!

I’ve had it for the past 4 years to watch the basevols. It’s worth it to me, but I do wish I would cancel after the baseball season. I just always forget too, but thats also helped out over the years to watch boxing matches, Football games, and soccer matches when they’re on there. It’s just I don’t use it but maybe 4-5 times outside of baseball a year

I have base HULU (not live) / Disney+ / ESPN+ and CANNOT watch any UT games (thus far, basketball and football) because they typically come on SECN+, even mid-week non-conf baseball games are on SECN+ and I am unable to watch. Basically I don’t even use ESPN+ because it SUCKS!
Huh?? Pretty sure they’re on there too. I will say looking for baseball games is hard on ESPN+. Specifically for Tennessee baseball for some reason.

Appreciate the input and discussions. My concern was solely about football and ESPN+ via HULU. You guys and gals, provided a lot of appreciated info. I won't be paying for ESPN+ due to what I think was the most informed and consistent info relevant to my question. Again THANK YOU.

I have an ESPN+ account only and I see nearly all of the UT games. So I don't know where you get your information, but I watch them all the time. I plan to watch the UT vs Queens game tomorrow night on ESPN+ and the games with Vandy this weekend on ESPN+ if not carried by a regular network like ESPN, ESPNU, ESPN2 or the SEC Network.If you can't figure it out that is your problem.

So you have some subscription that gives you access to regular ESPN channels then, right?

I won't be paying for ESPN+ due to what I think was the most informed and consistent info relevant to my question. Again THANK YOU.

That is a good call. There is a mistaken notion that ESPN+ delivers MORE Volunteer content than you will find on other ESPN platforms... they don't. This week is a good example with all 4 baseball games being televised or streamed and not one games is an ESPN+ exclusive. Yes its confusing, and deliberately so.

This is untrue. The only basketball games viewable via ESPN+ as your sole source of content this past season were Tennessee Tech, Wofford, George Mason and Tarleton State.

I promise you that if a game was aired OTA on ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU/SECN that attempting to watch it with just your ESPN+ subscription would result in failure. Conversely, you do not need an ESPN+ subscription to stream OTA games nor to watch the four aforementioned contests if you have the channels as even the ESPN+ games were also aired on SECN+ which is something you can access if SECN is part of your cable package.

The only Tennessee game that I can recall (I'm sure there have been others) which absolutely required ESPN+ was the neutral site basketball game against Washington in Toronto back in 2019.
In addition, many of UT's baseball and softball games are on SECTV+. Seldom is one of our games on ESPN+ and to view those you must have a ESPN+ subscription @ a cost o $9.99/ month. That will not allow you to watch anything on SECTV+. If you TV provider's package includes the SECNetwork, you can watch SEC+ at no additional charge. In my case, I have TDSTV+ as my provider and I can, sometimes, get SEC+ my laptop and smart TVs. However, I have to jump through about a 100 hoops and a dozen password and email addresses, which requires about 10 minutes to get this games. I have even gotten a messages and codes from Disney which confirms that I have be linked to SECTV+ and not been able to watch the games. Disney makes it as difficult to get SECTV+ because that want all the $9.99 /month they can get. At age 85, and on a fixed income, I often have to listen to 99.1FM to hear this game not broadcast on National channels. Sometimes, even 99.9 doe not broadcast the games. I have paid $50 per visit to have someone from TDSTV come to my house and program my Smart TVs to get the secTV+ channel only to discover that that programming disappears after a month or 6 weeks. I have given up on expecting to watch any games which are broadcast on SECTV+

My Hulu pkg costs about $75-80 monthly. No Prime Video but I get all the UT games
and the movie selection is very good. The free Tubi movies are also decent.

I tried Sling for awhile but had problems when the connection was dropped, it was difficult to
reconnect but with Hulu, the connections is often automatic.

Shirley and I are strongly considering dropping Netflix and signing up for HULU Disney Bundle ESPN+. Primarily for watching SEC games featuring the Vols.
But also to appease Shirley, as she is more of a movie watcher than I. My question is for folks who access ESPN+. Are you able to watch all Vols games played during the season?
Any advice, cautions, or suggestions?
WV it seems as if every game I want to watch is on SECN+ and not covered under ESPN+...I have to record most games because I travel and can't watch many live broadcasts..I'm probably dropping ESPN+ because of that.. But that's just my 2 cents worth....

Reactions: WoodsmanVol
After seeing all the responses, I’m now getting all the ESPN channels including the SECN+ thru my Hulu bundle for $80.00.

I have watched every Tennessee game this year that was not on ESPN or SEC Network on the ESPN app. The exception is the tournament in Texas that was only on Flo Sports and the Tennessee vs. Lipscomb was blacked out for me.
I have espn+ and have had every baseball game on. I watched 1 of the Flo sports games via some guys phone, who was streaming from his tv. Don’t know who he was, but was like sitting in his den with him, watching the game

I got into SECTV+ during the 3rd inning tonight and watched the rsr of the ball game. It took me about 10 minutes to finally get in and it was different than any way I have done it and I can not do it again. Oh haow I wish I have a prescribed way of doing this and do it every time and quickly.

I don't have ESPN+ at all, have never needed it for anything VOLS football, basketball or baseball related. I use the ESPN app on my Samsung tv to watch all basevols games using my Spectrum streaming service login inside the ESPN app.

I stopped watching the UFC when they moved to Espn+.

I also have a separate paid login for MLB TV and the one team plan to watch the Braves games all season.

VN Store

Back