Tennessee Lady Vol News

Marshall as a team shot 30.2% from 3 on 23.7 attempts a game the year before Caldwell took over. They shot 33.2% on 31.9 attempts a game her 1 year there.

If we make a similar (or even better) jump as a team, we would go from 32.1% on just 21.1 attempts to something like 35% or better on 29-30 attempts. That would be about 10-11 made threes a game, which would give us a built in 30-33 points that we simply never had under Harper or Holly.

Marshall as a team shot 30.2% from 3 on 23.7 attempts a game the year before Caldwell took over. They shot 33.2% on 31.9 attempts a game her 1 year there.

If we make a similar (or even better) jump as a team, we would go from 32.1% on just 21.1 attempts to something like 35% or better on 29-30 attempts. That would be about 10-11 made threes a game, which would give us a built in 30-33 points that we simply never had under Harper or Holly.
Not exactly. It is really an additional 10 points. Nothing to sneeze at for sure but you have to look at additional points not total points.
Last last piece is what was the change in two point field goals. If you have fewer made twos then you would need to subtract those from the three point gain. With the increase in possessions you may even have an increase in made twos which would add to the total gain.

Not exactly. It is really an additional 10 points. Nothing to sneeze at for sure but you have to look at additional points not total points.
Last last piece is what was the change in two point field goals. If you have fewer made twos then you would need to subtract those from the three point gain. With the increase in possessions you may even have an increase in made twos which would add to the total gain.
Got to believe that the number of brain dead turnovers once in the half court sets goes way down. Worried about my vision after all the eye rolls of disbelief the last couple of years. Jr High level training missed.

Got to believe that the number of brain dead turnovers once in the half court sets goes way down. Worried about my vision after all the eye rolls of disbelief the last couple of years. Jr High level training missed.
Yep! Doesn’t sound like we’ll have a lot of half court sets going on!
I fear teenagers in our family may also have permanent vision damage from excessive eye rolling. Medical cause Parentous Stupidopoly.

This math is mind-boggling!!

This math is mind-boggling!!
I can’t tell whether you are kidding and just not using blue font or you are serious. I did it the first time in my head so numbers were rounded.
I feel like you are kidding but just in case:
Three point shooting:
LV previous 32.1% on 21.1 attempts is 20.4 points
Posters est. under CKC 35% on 30 attempts is 31.5 points
The poster was saying we had 30 points coming that we never saw under Holly or Kellie which is incorrect. The pick up would be around 11 ( I had rounded to 10).
The further question in my mind is how would the new system impact the 2 point buckets?
Will all the new possessions result in more three point attempts and the same or fewer two point attempts? If our two point score % stays the same then you would need to reduce the 11 point pick up related to 3 point buckets by the reduced number of two pointers(x2).
The best case scenario is obviously that the number of two point shots taken stays the
same or increases and our make % increases (hopefully maybe on more put backs from missed threes?).
This was all I was trying to say. The more I think about it you were probably being snarky and my earnest answer will be fodder for further snark but oh well!🫤

Yep! Doesn’t sound like we’ll have a lot of half court sets going on!
I fear teenagers in our family may also have permanent vision damage from excessive eye rolling. Medical cause Parentous Stupidopoly.
I have been blessed in that God maximized the gene pool with both my kids and their offspring. Lots of bad potential totally missed.

Reactions: chuckiepoo and Lucy
I can’t tell whether you are kidding and just not using blue font or you are serious. I did it the first time in my head so numbers were rounded.
Three point shooting:
The poster was saying we had 30 points coming that we never saw under Holly or Kellie which is incorrect. The pick up would be around 11 ( I had rounded to 10).
The further question in my mind is how would the new system impact the 2 point buckets?
Will all the new possessions result in more three point attempts and the same or fewer two point attempts? If our two point score % stays the same then you would need to reduce the 11 point pick up related to 3 point buckets by the reduced number of two pointers(x2).
The best case scenario is obviously that the number of two point shots taken stays the
same or increases and our make % increases (hopefully maybe on more put backs from missed threes?).
This was all I was trying to say. The more I think about it you were probably being snarky and my earnest answer will be fodder for further snark but oh well!🫤
Glad I didn’t have to ‘splain. Good job! Damn the maffs.

Three point shooting:
Not one bit serious!!

I get your point but you need to do that math again.

edit: didn’t see the above posts saying same thing, my bad.

Three point shooting:
Good assessment. I think the 2 point totals will be contingent on offensive rebounding. That will about 20 missed threes per game. How many of those rebounds to the LVs grab and do they go back up in the paint or reset for another 3?

Three point shooting teams tend to have fewer FTs but I suspect in practice, the LVs will actually take a lot of slash and drive shots with the floor being spread.

I am grumpy old man who needs to get outside to yell at the kids on my lawn but I am most interested in the differentials that come from turnovers and defense.

Last edited:
Good assessment. I think the 2 point totals will be contingent on offensive rebounding. That will about 20 missed threes per game. How many of those rebounds to the LVs grab and do they go back up in the paint or reset for another 3?

Three point shooting teams tend to have fewer FTs but I suspect in practice, the LVs will actually take a lot of slash and drive shots with the floor being spread.

I am grumpy old man who need to get outside to yell at the kids on my lawn but I am most interested in the differentials that come from turnovers and defense.
There are a lot of different equations to consider aren’t there?!?

Three point shooting teams tend to have fewer FTs but I suspect in practice, the LVs will actuallyn their opponent take a lot of slash and drive shots with the floor being spread.

I am grumpy old man who need to get outside to yell at the kids on my lawn but I am most interested in the differentials that come from turnovers and defense.
I was wondering similar stuff. As we review the Marshall team TO margin, if I remember correctly, they were no. 3 in the nation at about +8 per game, I could be slightly off, need to check again. In any event, the other thing I seem to recall is their rebounding margin was approximately even on the season. I realize they took the most threes in the nation, and also were elite at shot margin per game and possession margin. My question is this, outside of TO and rebounding margin as well as any discrepancy in fouls committed, where do all of the extra possessions/shots come from over the opponent?

It’s there somewhere. I look at the box scores and in many games, even when Marshall was out-rebounded soundly and TO margin was around plus 8-10 they still got way more possessions most games as opposed to their opponents. I think I’m missing the secret sauce here but I know it has to be baked in somewhere because the numbers say so. I’m gonna feel dumb when someone tells me the answer to this riddle.. I get the quick shot routine, but each shot results in a rebound or foul, and if rebounds and fouls are roughly equal, where do all the surplus possessions come from which are clearly happening?

Last edited:

VN Store

Back