UT hockey moving up to top division

Yes, Ice Chalet sounds right. Couldn’t remember the name.
It was the Ice Chalet. Games started at 11:00 pm. There was a no alcohol policy but it wasn't enforced. I'm sure the folks that owned the Ice Chalet preferred it that way. They probably got part of the gate. The place was always filled up. There was no divider between the visiting team and the drunk fans. Saw a great altercation in the stands when NC State was playing. The guy next to me was harassing the heck out of the NC State Coach, Coach's first name was Charlie. It was a lopsided game in UT's favor and the crowd thinned out a bit in the second half. It just so happened that Charlie's girlfriend was in the same row I was in with the guy harassing Charlie. She decides to move to the row behind the heckler and starts harassing him. As I am watching the game, she yells to Charlie that the heckler shoved her. Charlie and another coach come up into the stands after the heckler. My friends and I bolted for the exit. A night to remember.

I remember in the mid 80s they played at a rink on Kingston Pike on Friday and Saturday nights at midnight and you could take coolers of beer in. Good times.
Those were some rowdy games. Went to a handful of them and fans were brutal and would toss beer caps onto the ice. Pour beer on opposing players who were checked into the wall.

Reactions: NorCalVol67
Those were some rowdy games. Went to a handful of them and fans were brutal and would toss beer caps onto the ice. Pour beer on opposing players who were checked into the wall.
Yeah I remember opposing players getting beer poured on them. And throwing empty beer cans on the ice.

Gonna be tough beating those Big 10 teams, They started playing hockey while they were in diapers.

I remember in the mid 80s they played at a rink on Kingston Pike on Friday and Saturday nights at midnight and you could take coolers of beer in. Good times.
Mid 70’s it was a club level sport( along with rugby and trap/skeet). Big rivalry was with UAH and games payed at The Ice Chalet.

Yep, we used to put a keg on either end of the rink and skated til we dropped. UT had a club team back then, they used that same rink.

VN Store

Back