Who benefits more from a Lady Vol / Uconn game?

I'll bet this game was long in the works and no way Geno lets us out. It works for him. I get it's good for the game, the fans, humanity at large, but not for the LVs, not this year.

IMO one of the most important things the new LVs need to do is shed the "hapless lovable loser" image that KJH perfected with the 1.1 head drop moment. Getting dusted on national tv again is not a step in that direction. And odds are really great that's what will happen with the team UConn is going to have and with the building and learning process the LVs will be in. The odds of the LVs pulling off the miracle win aren't good enough to risk the gamble.

I feel the same way about this game that I do about 3rd party candidates - good idea in general but not this year!

Sorry if I missed it here but yesterday I was reading USA today and caught an article saying Gino announced they would be playing us again.

So. . . who gets more benefit from this game. The way I see it its an opportunity for them to poach local players from our area. Not sure what it does for us.
one of the reasons we should not engage in this game

Reactions: gladiator06
Every team, coach, fan, etc. benefits from it. These games are not what they use to be but man at one time everybody was watching, let's hope we get back to that!
this was an instant power outage when the plug was pulled on this series just another reason there should not be a UC UT series resumption

Sorry if I missed it here but yesterday I was reading USA today and caught an article saying Gino announced they would be playing us again.

So. . . who gets more benefit from this game. The way I see it its an opportunity for them to poach local players from our area. Not sure what it does for us.
During the many years when the two teams did not play one another, Crystal Dangerfield from Murfreesboro, TN, enrolled at the University of CT. During the many years when UT did not play any team in the Pacific NW, we (Holly) recruited many fine players from the Pacific NW.

Reactions: krichunaka
Women's Basketball is better when uconn and Tennessee are good and playing each other. These two programs are the most relevant programs in the history of womens basketball, and it's not even close. The two programs have collectively have won 19 out of the 42 national championships. These two programs birth modern day womens basketball, so we all win when they play each other.

Women's Basketball is better when uconn and Tennessee are good and playing each other. These two programs are the most relevant programs in the history of womens basketball, and it's not even close. The two programs have collectively have won 19 out of the 42 national championships. These two programs birth modern day womens basketball, so we all win when they play each other.

Yes, but we haven't been good....and therein is the problem with playing UConn. We were lucky the series was dropped when it was, actually, as we would have suffered a few embarrassing defeats if we'd played each other regularly.

a "rivalry" cannot be one sided both teams must share in success

Agree this game has not been a 'rivalry' for a long time but to answer the OP question of who benefits more it would have to be the LV's as any win would be considered a big upset. I don't see UConn gaining anything from playing this game as they will be heavily favored and supposed to win. Geno just likes beating the LV's.

Personally I would not schedule it as a regular season game if I was AD. Knocking them out of the NCAA tourney would be much more satisfying.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

Caldwell and Tennessee benefit more from this game.

Reactions: Rooster1
Are you implying that Geno’s head is oversized?
I don't know that it's oversized. His body has gotten pretty big (for his height) the past few years. I got the same problem, >60 metabolism.

As for the game? I'd rather not play you guys. (unless we have to in the tourney) I don't think UCONN gains anything by it. Except beating an old, old rival. And it's not really much of a rivalry anymore (except for us old fans). Granted we've both won a lot of titles, but not recently. UCONN since 2016 (8 years going on 9) and TN since 2008 (16 going on 17).

But I suppose somebody will make some money off it.

I don't know that it's oversized. His body has gotten pretty big (for his height) the past few years. I got the same problem, >60 metabolism.

As for the game? I'd rather not play you guys. (unless we have to in the tourney) I don't think UCONN gains anything by it. Except beating an old, old rival. And it's not really much of a rivalry anymore (except for us old fans). Granted we've both won a lot of titles, but not recently. UCONN since 2016 (8 years going on 9) and TN since 2008 (16 going on 17).

But I suppose somebody will make some money off it.
I'm not a Uconn fan (Although I do admire the program like most WBB fans).

The Lady Vols definitely benefit more. UConn, despite not winning a title in what for them is "a while," is still the sport's preeminent program and has missed one single Final Four since Tennessee's last trip in 2008. This game is an opportunity for a new-look, new-blood Lady Vols program to be showcased in front of a national audience; win and it's absolutely the most important singular game since the 2008 National Championship. Lose and look good/promising, still overwhelmingly positive for Kim Caldwell. Get run out of Thompson-Boling... well, are they any worse off than before the game started?

The Lady Vols definitely benefit more. UConn, despite not winning a title in what for them is "a while," is still the sport's preeminent program and has missed one single Final Four since Tennessee's last trip in 2008. This game is an opportunity for a new-look, new-blood Lady Vols program to be showcased in front of a national audience; win and it's absolutely the most important singular game since the 2008 National Championship. Lose and look good/promising, still overwhelmingly positive for Kim Caldwell. Get run out of Thompson-Boling... well, are they any worse off than before the game started?
That’s a smart analysis.

Nothing...nothing at all.

Wrong, all the glory and benefit could be to UT, no downside.
There's big downside. Reinforcing the loser of big games image yet again on national tv would be very damaging. It's the last way you want to introduce the new coach to a national audience. Same ole same ole won't get it.

Also, I'm not sure how many more big excited crowds the LVs are going to be able to draw if they don't start winning some of those games. It's a special kind of disappointing to get all pumped up and then have the team never be competitive, like the last time UConn played here.

None of this is the new coach's fault, but all would be to her disadvantage. UConn is going to be so good next yr that the gamble on the miracle win is not worth the damage of loss.

There's big downside. Reinforcing the loser of big games image yet again on national tv would be very damaging. It's the last way you want to introduce the new coach to a national audience. Same ole same ole won't get it.

Also, I'm not sure how many more big excited crowds the LVs are going to be able to draw if they don't start winning some of those games. It's a special kind of disappointing to get all pumped up and then have the team never be competitive, like the last time UConn played here.

None of this is the new coach's fault, but all would be to her disadvantage. UConn is going to be so good next yr that the gamble on the miracle win is not worth the damage of loss.
Shortsighted…glv, no downside for the new regime, huge upside.

Reactions: travis929
Adams, Cora, and Topplemeyer's opinions on the subject:
They also discuss the possibility of missing the tourney and the portal class. All three are pretty much in agreement. I know Adams is considered a hack, but Hall and Topple are definitely not.

Shortsighted…glv, no downside for the new regime, huge upside.
You don't think the repeated failures in big games on tv has taken a toll? IMO it's exactly why we have so much trouble landing elite recruits. The 1.1 was that on sterioids. That narrative around the LVs has to change, it can't stand to be keep being reinforced.

Last edited:
Reactions: gladiator06
You don't think the repeated failures in big games on tv has taken a toll? IMO it's exactly why we have so much trouble landing elite recruits. The 1.1 was that on sterioids. That narrative around the LVs has to change, it can't stand to be keep being reinforced.
Way past that now, all upside.

VN Store

Back