Coaching Search Update (SIAP)

I personally think getting a young Richard Pitino would be a great hire for the long haul. He can coach and think he could sell the university to recruits well.

I keep seeing Greg Marshall mentioned as a home run hire, but has anyone taken a detailed look at what he has accomplished? Winning 35 straight games against anyone is difficult to do regardless of the competition, but take a look at the 35 and you'll see 2 top 50 RPI wins and a #98 strength of schedule. The MVC has been Wichita State, then a huge drop-off to the next team during his run. I think he would be a good looking hire that the media and recruits would love, but I haven't seen what he could do when his team has to play 5-10 games against quality competition a season instead of 2-3. The Big South was not any better when he was at Winthrop, so I think we'd still be taking a chance on the guy. The last thing we need right now is a high-dollar dud.

Last edited:
I keep seeing Greg Marshall mentioned as a home run hire, but has anyone taken a detailed look at what he has accomplished? Winning 35 straight games against anyone is difficult to do regardless of the competition, but take a look at the 35 and you'll see 2 top 50 RPI wins and a #98 strength of schedule. The MVC has been Wichita State, then a huge drop-off to the next team during his run. I think he would be a good looking hire that the media and recruits would love, but I haven't seen what he could do when his team has to play 5-10 games against quality competition a season instead of 2-3. The Big South was not any better when he was at Winthrop, so I think we'd still be taking a chance on the guy. The last thing we need right now is a high-dollar dud.

Maybe, but that Final 4 appearance and consistent winning says a lot.

Reactions: 2 people
Where's Ben Howland residing?

He has been touring America via motorhome visiting all the college towns that have bb coach openings. He should be spending Easter Sunday somewhere midway between Knoxville, TN and Columbia, MO ready to move in either direction Monday morning.

Maybe, but that Final 4 appearance and consistent winning says a lot.

I agree. He should definitely be towards the top of the list, but I don't think he's a home run. I'm still looking at the details on some of the names that are being thrown around, but so far, Shaka Smart is the only one I've concluded would be a home run (I know: he's not coming). Howland scares me a little, but it's hard to believe he hasn't learned his lesson. I can see how it would be hard to reclaim control of a situation like that once it got out of hand. I hope we're not going to bargain shop, but if we do, and we can get a bargain on him, I would.

I was hoping for Richard Pitino, but he appears steadfast for the Gophers. Next up could be Howland. He would be more long term and happy to put in the years and not bail ship soon. Of course he'd have to win and be able to recruit.

I would take him in a heart beat.

Reactions: 3 people
Mine as well. He'll be gone whenever Rick retires. Give me Mack or White and call it a day.

For me, it has nothing to do with him possibly wanting the UofL job and everything to do with the fact that he would be nowhere close to our list if his last name were something else.

Reactions: 3 people
If U.T. can land Xavier's coach, it's an absolute steal, and probably better than any other realistic coach on the list. I would consider it an upgrade from where Martin is at this point in his career.

I agree and I don't even like Marshall. The guy wins. Great coach, but he's got a different personality ban most fans want.

For me, I want that different personality. Fans shouldn't feel the need to be stroked. Would you pet a rattlesnake? I would rather he spend his time building this team into a winner. That is all the rah rah I need.

Seen multiple tweets from various people that they are finalizing Howland tonight. TIFWTF, IYLTS, IMHOBBQ.

(I'll believe it when its announced)

Last edited:

VN Store

Back