Coaching Search Update (SIAP)

So, according to Gary Parrish at CBS, the focus is now on Michael White. Says some A-Listers aren't interested due to the shape of our returning roster. Fine with me, I'll take White,or Byrd, or Wade. Get somebody in who wants to be here who can recruit and coach. I think any of these guys could do that well.

Reactions: 1 person
White's style of play would fit our current roster.

I just have this feeling, it will be White, Tindall, or Wade. That's UT's MO. Some teams just go for the proven guy with five to ten years left in him and some go for the up and comer. UT is the latter.

So, according to Gary Parrish at CBS, the focus is now on Michael White. Says some A-Listers aren't interested due to the shape of our returning roster. Fine with me, I'll take White,or Byrd, or Wade. Get somebody in who wants to be here who can recruit and coach. I think any of these guys could do that well.

I could get behind this if the big names declined.

I just have this feeling, it will be White, Tindall, or Wade. That's UT's MO. Some teams just go for the proven guy with five to ten years left in him and some go for the up and comer. UT is the latter.

FL hired an up and comer a few years ago named Donovan and that worked out pretty good. I am not saying White is a Donovan, but you never know.

I'd got to admit, if an A-lister candidate did say that about our current roster, that's a pretty bold statement to actually write it in the article.

That's pretty hurtful to our current roster and incoming class.

Seem's like a way to make our fan base like the next hire. "Hey man, that 10 doesn't like you because she thinks your ugly. Aren't you glad you hooked up with the 4? She said you were hot!"

I'd got to admit, if an A-lister candidate did say that about our current roster, that's a pretty bold statement to actually write it in the article.

That's pretty hurtful to our current roster and incoming class.

Seem's like a way to make our fan base like the next hire. "Hey man, that 10 doesn't like you because she thinks your ugly. Aren't you glad you hooked up with the 4? She said you were hot!"

I suppose that would depend on how cute her sister was. :detective:

Where's Ben Howland residing?

At the Steps of the AD Dept that any Head Coaching Posn is available.

There must be something terribly wrong with him that is not known to the public or beyond the SI article.

It evidently comes out in before he interviews. I mean the guy goes from Top Tier to below the last choice line.

I suppose that would depend on how cute her sister was. :detective:

I believe it is possible our AD puts that stuff out there to save face with our fan base. He can say "see I tried to go after a tier 1 coach". A little disingenuous I think to pretend UT goes after those type of guys for real if we aren't going to spend the money. Just start with the tier 2 guys because we know that is where we end up anyway.

I believe it is possible our AD puts that stuff out there to save face with our fan base. He can say "see I tried to go after a tier 1 coach". A little disingenuous I think to pretend UT goes after those type of guys for real if we aren't going to spend the money. Just start with the tier 2 guys because we know that is where we end up anyway.

If Hart had interest in the job from a high caliber coach and he felt the interest was genuine and not just a ploy to get a raise at his current job, I think Hart would pony up the cash for a top tier coach. As I have said IMO it all comes down to how sure of a thing is it? Just because the fans see a coach winning at Wichita State and would pay him 4 million a year does not mean it's a wise move or a move Tennessee should make. It's real easy to just scream "offer more $$, whatever it costs" when your not writing the check.

If Hart had interest in the job from a high caliber coach and he felt the interest was genuine and not just a ploy to get a raise at his current job, I think Hart would pony up the cash for a top tier coach. As I have said IMO it all comes down to how sure of a thing is it? Just because the fans see a coach winning at Wichita State and would pay him 4 million a year does not mean it's a wise move or a move Tennessee should make. It's real easy to just scream "offer more $$, whatever it costs" when your not writing the check.

I actually agree. I'm not arguing we SHOULD for sure spend the money only that we won't so why pretend to begin with. Been hearing Marshall people put it out there he would listen for 3 million. We all know there is no way in hell we would spend that on a basketball coach. White seems alright to me!

I very much doubt that Hart has pursued any top coaches--and if he has it's been little more than cursory. My sense is that he's been focused on going small (college) from the start.

I very much doubt that Hart has pursued any top coaches--and if he has it's been little more than cursory. My sense is that he's been focused on going small (college) from the start.

Here is your answer - yes, Hart pursued, no they werent interested. Looks like White is high on the roster which makes sense because it is going to be a solid bit of work to get us to glory, which is what an up and comer will look for.

A source told CBSSports.com that UT has informally contacted some "A-list" candidates but that the interest hasn't been mutual. Another source told CBSSports.com that at least one potential candidate expressed no interest mostly because Tennessee's roster is in bad shape given that the Vols are losing four of their top five players from a Sweet 16 team.

I'm not ready to just totally go that far and say it's a fact that he was offered the job. Based off a lot of things we were hearing last night it sounded like things might be headed that way, and also sounded like it wasn't a slam dunk that he would accept.

-VQ

VN Store

Back