Murray v. Bray

You don't draft a QB and not cut the rookie FA you signed the prior season that saw no playing time in games.

Reactions: 1 person
Will KC Chiefs draft a QB to compete with Tyler Bray? - Arrowhead Pride

Bray did have a solid preseason and displayed some of that arm strength with the Chiefs' longest completion in August with a 43-yard strike to Josh Bellamy. Bray completed 21 of 40 pass attempts (52.5 percent) for 220 yards. He had three touchdowns and one interception and finished with an 83.3 rating.

The only question at this point is whether or not Bray can hold off the team from looking at another rookie. The answer is likely not. At the very least, the Chiefs are likely to add another developmental quarterback to the roster either late in the draft or afterward. It simply doesn't make sense to refrain from competition for that developmental spot.

Given the glut of underclassmen in this year's draft, several fascinating quarterbacks could be available for John Dorsey to sway into camp after the draft. That's a list that could include Tajh Boyd, Connor Shaw, Jeff Matthews, Tom Savage, Chase Rettig, Casey Pachall, Garrett Gilbert and several others.

It's a good thing for the Chiefs to consider (and select) another developmental quarterback to partner with Bray in offseason activities and preseason games. If Bray outlasts the competition this time around, then Chiefs fans can feel pretty good about the young talent on the roster. If not, then that only means the Chiefs improved at an important spot. It's a win-win proposition for everyone. Except for Tyler Bray.

I followed the Chiefs camp a bit last year to see how Bray was doing--and Andy Reid and the coaches were reasonably impressed with him. He beat out the no. 3 QB and was put on the practice squad. I think this camp will be a big one for him: He will need to be even better, improve his accuracy and show leadership skills--all of which is hard to do when you are getting limited reps. And his preseason game play will be huge.

Reactions: 2 people
Not sure they ever had much confidence in Bray to begin with. Undrafted free agent worth a roll of the dice.

A UFA quarterback who makes it onto the playoff roster as the third quarterback? That's about the most confidence you can have in a person in a similar situation.

Murray is very similar to Drew Brees. I'd take him over most. My first thought would be they are expecting to cut Bray, but maybe it does have more to do with the contract of Chase Daniels.

I'd like for Bray to prove us doubters wrong and light it up in the NFL, but I don't think it will ever happen.

Murray was selected for convenience. It was KC's turn so they picked what they felt was the best available for so late in the round. Murray will be traded to some needy team for a 2015 draft pick or someone that gives them some depth at position that needs it. Bray will stay and likely unseat Chase as number 2.

Trust the word of the one who knows.

I've never seen a more beautiful deep ball in my life, the kid is an artist.

If he could/will combine it with hardwork....he could be unstoppable.

Reactions: 2 people
If I had the defense Bray had while here I'd have thrown more than beer bottles.

Aaron Murray is a lot better QB than Bray. Not even close.

I wouldn't say that Bray is any less of a passer than Murray. Murray was a way better runner than Bray. Was. Murray tore up an acl at end of last season. Of course the pros are aware of that and deemed him worthy of drafting. I don't hope that AM fails to recover to 100 % of the form that he had ... but that might happen. Meanwhile, Bray has a year of presence in the NFL that Murray lacks. We'll see what happens.

I think Bray had something above a 50 percent completion percentage in preseason games last year. He will have to raise that number to close to 60 percent, IMO. Big arms are nice--but the NFL is really about completion percentage and moving the chains: that is what PFM and Brady do better than anybody.

My recollection is that Peyton was eaten alive his first pro year. Not saying that Bray or any other QB has Peyton's zeal to work and study the game. But any young QB can improve some, given the chance.

VN Store

Back