If You Could Bring One Person Back As Coach...

Who Would You Bring Back As A Coach?

• Total voters
The man, the myth, the legend......Johnny Majors, but only if I had Mr. Peabody's way back machine.

I would not bring back Chavis. Letting UGA march down the field in 01 with about 40 seconds to go and throw a dump pass to a wide open fullback in the endzone to win in Neyland scarred me for life.

Reactions: 4 people
Neyland head coach. Cutcliffe as OC and QB coach. Chavis as DC. Fulmer O - line coach and recruiting coordinator

I would not bring back Chavis. Letting UGA march down the field in 01 with about 40 seconds to go and throw a dump pass to a wide open fullback in the endzone to win in Neyland scarred me for life.

I agree. Chavis fielded some great defenses, but I have so many memories of the horrible breakdowns. The 3rd and longs. The prevent packages. The inability of any of our defensive players in the later years to make an open field tackle. I'd rather have new blood and keep moving forward, than to try to recreate the past.

I voted for Coach Cut. I loved watching his offense.
It would then be Chavis(who y'all have started to get my hopes up for) and Fulmer as OL coach.

I voted for Wilcox, but I'd definitely go after Narduzzi. Maybe it'll be two years, and we can pick up Derek Mason after Candy cuts him loose.

I agree. Chavis fielded some great defenses, but I have so many memories of the horrible breakdowns. The 3rd and longs. The prevent packages. The inability of any of our defensive players in the later years to make an open field tackle. I'd rather have new blood and keep moving forward, than to try to recreate the past.

Chavis did ok with exceptional athletes that could cover for bad schemes. He was exposed with average to good athletes. The UCLA game was another maddening experience.

Reactions: 1 person
Tie between Dooley and Kiffin. Ed Orgeron and Sal Sunseri close second.

Al Wilson! Anyone could pick apart the offensive/defensive schemes for past games and give credit where they choose. But a position coach can really shine just based on their personality and playing experience alone! He would demand the best out of his core!
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Reactions: 2 people
Al Wilson! Anyone could pick apart the offensive/defensive schemes for past games and give credit where they choose. But a position coach can really shine just based on their personality and playing experience alone! He would demand the best out of his core!
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Totally agree

I really truly believe that if Butch were to let Jancek go at the end of this season, that he would look into bringing back Chavis.

And I have no reason to believe that he wouldn't come back. LSU is paying him big money ($1.1 million a year on average, will make 1.3 this year), but that contract ends in 2015.

But...after hearing that recent interview with Eddie Moore talking about Chavis and how much he missed UT, and how he could see it....I just see it being a HARD offer to pass up.

Obviously, Kiffin didn't keep him, because he wanted to bring in daddy. Dooley wouldn't have brought him back, because Dooley didn't care a rat's butt about our tradition and the Vol family. (However, Wilcox was a good hire, but Dooley ran him off).

I think Butch would sincerely reach out to him and try to bring him back. He still has family in Knoxville, and a house in Knoxville, and he has spent a lot of his life here.

The biggest reason I think Butch would reach out to him though (aside from the fact that he is arguably the best DC in college football, and has been for 20 years), is the fact that this team is missing a presence from the glory days that's around all of the time.

Chief knows and remembers what it was like. He remembers how it felt to win that NC. He knows, and he can tell these guys. Not to mention, turn them into a super nasty defense.

I really think that bringing him back would be a PERFECT move for UT at the end of this season, if Jancek were no longer retained.

JMO though. But I could really see it happening.

Soooooo, are ya sayin that you would want Chief Chavis back?

Haha lol j/k

Soooooo, are ya sayin that you would want Chief Chavis back?

Haha lol j/k

Absolutely. I know people like fade and others will talk about 3rd and Chavis, and all of that. But fact is, we haven't had near the defense we had under him since then, and he's continued to roll right along at LSU having incredible success.

The man is a great coach. He is no doubt the best DC in college football. And he may wear purple and gold, but he bleeds orange and white.

I think if you recruit the athletes, which Butch and Co. certainly are, and you bring in Chief to scheme a D, and then to bring back that pride that was here in the 90's, I think you make something really special.

Chief bridges the gap. He was great then, and he's great now. Recruits know who he is, and they know what he's done.

I just think it'd be a no brainer to go after him. Butch has nobody on his staff that has Tennessee ties. I think if he wants to preach family, if there's a coach that can talk about Tennessee the way he wants to, it's Chavis. Cutcliffe isn't going back down from head coach. If anything, he's gonna be taking an even better job with the success he's having at Duke. But I think it's obvious that Chief isn't taking a HC job, and I'm sure now that is because he doesn't want one.

I just think you reach out to him, and tell him it's okay to come back home. It's safe to say that at least from a culture standpoint, things are much better in Knoxville, and it's closer to what it was than ever before.

Disrespectful of his legacy not to include our greatest coach EVER:
General Robert Neyland!

Surely you've heard of the stadium named after him.

VN Store

Back