If You Could Bring One Person Back As Coach...

Who Would You Bring Back As A Coach?

• Total voters
Disrespectful of his legacy not to include our greatest coach EVER:
General Robert Neyland!

Surely you've heard of the stadium named after him.

Surely you noticed that all of the rest of the names can be contacted without a seance? If we're talking all time then Cafego should be on the list right behind RRN.

Reactions: 2 people
Cutcliffe.

I like Chavis quite a bit, but Cutcliffe could turn any offense around and could make any QB look good. Would probably make even Worley look good.

OC: Cutcliffe(my pick)
DC: Chavis

Last edited:
HC: Spurrier
OC: Cutcliffe
DC: Chavis

First off, Spurrier never coached here..

Secondly, Spurrier and Cutcliffe are so different in their offensive philosophies that it'd never work out. And honestly, I'd take Cutcliffe right now, as a play caller/offensive mind over Spurrier. Spurrier's musical chairs with his QBs, going pass heavy when the run is what's working and vice versa and etc just puts me off. It's one thing to have a "Tebow package" where you bring in a guy for special plays, but his flip flopping, some times from drive to drive with his QBs would irritate me to no end if I was a Gamecocks fan.

Spurrier is still a superior head coach due to his ability to get the most out of his players and his still good recruiting ability, but if I had to choose between them for running my offense? I want Cut over current Spurrier.

If Al Wilson wanted to coach LBs, hell yes. If he can coach half as well as he played, he would be the best addition. I realize many are going for Chief, but his two minute prevent defense is still getting picked apart unless a DB makes an interception. He is still one of the best DC in the college game, but only in the first 58 minutes.

Am I the only one that remembers "3rd and Chavis??" I clearly remember when every VOL fan on 3rd down hoped for less than 10 yards. Even with well above average players, he was still just an average DC.

Am I the only one that remembers "3rd and Chavis??" I clearly remember when every VOL fan on 3rd down hoped for less than 10 yards. Even with well above average players, he was still just an average DC.

Ohhhh.. Prepared to be BBQ.. Many Chavis lovers on VN

Who would it be from these options??

This is assuming that Butch is still head coach.

I think if Butch does make a coaching hire after this season, I think he pulls from within the Tennessee family.

I know A LOT of these are completely unrealistic at this point in time.

But, if you could bring back one of these guys to be a part of this staff, or another I haven't mentioned, who would you pick?

Butch says he looks for 5 things in a coach:
1) Ability to scheme
2) Ability to teach fundamentals
3) Ability to recruit
4) Ability to evaluate talent
5) Ability to mentor and be a father figure.

Just thought about it. Don't flame, just wondering.

General Neyland!

:dance2:

Tennesseeduke

Surely you noticed that all of the rest of the names can be contacted without a seance? If we're talking all time then Cafego should be on the list right behind RRN.

The question was, "If you could bring one person back as coach..."?

My power to bring back General Neyland is on the same level as my power to bring back anyone on the list.

I voted for Chavis but only hoping that he would remember what made him. The fast and ferocious defenses he fielded for 3 1/2 quarters a game need to continue till the final horn. I never understood going into prevent for the last 5-10 minutes a game when the "d" had dominated the first 50-55 minutes.

I would not bring back Chavis. Letting UGA march down the field in 01 with about 40 seconds to go and throw a dump pass to a wide open fullback in the endzone to win in Neyland scarred me for life.
IKR! Apparently everybody has already forgotten about third and Chavis where opposing teams can get a first down from any distance on third down and the mustang package.

People LOVE Chavis & Wilcox....now that they are gone. When they were here, the opposite was the main point of view....

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back